AshNas

Scratch 2 offline

Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:18 pm

I have updated my raspberry pi B+ with the Raspbian and want to use scratch 2offline as we do not have access to the internet. I am
Clicking on Scratch 2 to open it but nothing is happening. any help please?

Also Python seems to have now disappeared with this update? Is Thonny Python IDE the same?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Scratch 2 offline

Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:41 pm

Thonny is our new Python IDE.

Cannot comment on Scratch2.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

hippy

Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:50 pm

AshNas wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:18 pm
Clicking on Scratch 2 to open it but nothing is happening. any help please?
It seems odd that there's a link there if it is not installed. You can check if it is installed using "sudo apt list scratch2" in a terminal. On my Pi 3B, before installing it -

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~ $ sudo apt list scratch2
Listing... Done
scratch2/testing 0.23 armhf
And with it installed ( "sudo apt-get install scratch2" ) -

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~ $ sudo apt list scratch2
Listing... Done
scratch2/testing,now 0.23 armhf [installed]
You can also try "scratch2" as a command in the terminal which may give some indication as to what the issue may be. It could be that scratch2 simply doesn't run on a Pi B+. I don't have one to hand to check.

Added : looks like that might be the case -
bertsierra wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:21 am
I believe it requires an ARM7 processor or better; it will fail with a segmentation fault if you run it on ARM6-based boards.
And that's what you have if it's a Pi B+. Raspbian and/or the Raspberry Pi Desktop isn't smart enough to hide links to things which won't run in my experience, so you probably have the link, and Scratch 2 installed, even though there's no hope of it running on your particular hardware. There being no feedback when run from the desktop or menu when it doesn't work isn't very helpful. Running "scratch2" from the command line will likely show the segmentation fault.

Some software will report when it cannot run on ARMv6 but most just crashes.

AshNas

Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:20 pm

Thank you very much for your help. I will do this. I also noticed that it is now running very very slow. Is there anyway that I can uninstall and revert back to the original SD card when I had the older version of scratch as it’s running very slow now?
I am a science teacher learning to code. Sorry for the silly questions.
Thanks.

spl23

Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:32 pm

hippy wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:50 pm
bertsierra wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:21 am
I believe it requires an ARM7 processor or better; it will fail with a segmentation fault if you run it on ARM6-based boards.
And that's what you have if it's a Pi B+.
Scratch 2 requires the Adobe Pepperflash Flash player - there is no version of this available for ARMv6 platforms (and nor will there ever be - Adobe decided not to support them). So you will need a Pi 3 or Pi 4 (or one of the later revisions of the Pi 2) to run Scratch 2 offline.

jdonald

Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:23 pm

Makes sense.

Except for the last bit about requiring Raspberry Pi 2 v1.2 or higher. The Pi 2 v1.1 has Cortex-A7 cores so wouldn't it work as well?

Return to “Scratch”