zLagos

Raspberry pi 4 cursor at start

Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:37 pm

When Buster starts on the raspberry pi, the mouse cursor always goes to the menu and displays the message "Click here to open applications menu". It is disgusting.

Is there any way to avoid this?

W. H. Heydt

Re: Raspberry pi 4 cursor at start

Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:07 am

What is "disgusting" about it?

kenkrsme

Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:40 am

edit /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart and remove point-rpi

zLagos

Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:41 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
I already know what the menu button is for, it doesn't have to remind me of the system every time it boots. Also, I want to make a boot by hiding the panel and with the mouse in that position it doesn't let me. So in the end, if I don't fix it, I'm going to have to uninstall the panel, and I don't want to.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:53 am

zLagos wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:
I already know what the menu button is for, it doesn't have to remind me of the system every time it boots. Also, I want to make a boot by hiding the panel and with the mouse in that position it doesn't let me. So in the end, if I don't fix it, I'm going to have to uninstall the panel, and I don't want to.
It's done like that (and see post above for how to disable) for first time and beginner users. You know, the people the Pi is aimed at. Disgustingly nice of us to help out those people I reckon.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

zLagos

Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:06 am

kenkrsme wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:40 am
edit /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart and remove point-rpi
Thanks, runs perfectly.

zLagos

Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:25 pm

jamesh wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:53 am
zLagos wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:
It's done like that (and see post above for how to disable) for first time and beginner users. You know, the people the Pi is aimed at. Disgustingly nice of us to help out those people I reckon.
It is not a criticism of Raspberry. It seems right to me and I understand and I share why you do it that way. I just want to be free to remove it.

alphanumeric

Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:13 pm

I made that edit and it did work for a while. But after doing some updates its back to always going to the Raspberry with the click here mesage.
And there is no point-rpi entry /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart.
So how do I stop this from happening and have the cursor go to the center screen?

Raspberry Pi 4B running latest Buster with official Pi Foundation Touch Screen.

klricks

Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:08 pm

alphanumeric wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:13 pm
I made that edit and it did work for a while. But after doing some updates its back to always going to the Raspberry with the click here mesage.
And there is no point-rpi entry /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart.
So how do I stop this from happening and have the cursor go to the center screen?

Raspberry Pi 4B running latest Buster with official Pi Foundation Touch Screen.
The cursor at the start menu on boot feature was removed in a recent update. The cursor now defaults to the center of the screen.
Do you have another autostart in /home/pi/.config/lxsession/LXDE-pi/.......? If so then the global autostart in /etc/xdg/....... will be totally ignored.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

alphanumeric

Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:24 pm

I'm not sure what is going on? On my Pi 3B+ that also has a Pi foundation touch screen, it goes to center screen. It is also running Buster and shows as fully up to date when I run apt update upgrade.
I noticed on my Pi 4b that my custom clock settings are now gone, as is the CPU Temperature that I added to the status bar a while back.
I had noticed on my last Buster install that I didn't have to do the edit to get the cursor to go to center screen. It did it all on its own after updating Buster.
I'm just now reflashing my Pi 4B's SD card to start over from scratch and see what happens with no edits or customization until it shows as all updated. I'll post back with the results. The only software I remeber installing on that Pi was the Arduino IDE, and that did throw up a couple of error messages during the install. Maybe that did it?
wget https://downloads.arduino.cc/arduino-1. ... arm.tar.xz
tar -xvf arduino-1.8.9-linuxarm.tar.xz
cd arduino-1.8.9
sudo ./install.sh

alphanumeric

Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:59 pm

Ok, I installed Buster with Desktop, 2019-09-26-raspbian-buster. I let it update via the quick start menu etc.
I then opened a terminal window and ran sudo apt update and it reported all up to date. No changes other than setting my Local / Time zone etc. The cursor is in the center of the screen very briefly but then moves to the Raspberry with the click here message.
And there is no "point-rpi" entry in /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart?

klricks

Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:24 pm

alphanumeric wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:59 pm
Ok, I installed Buster with Desktop, 2019-09-26-raspbian-buster. I let it update via the quick start menu etc.
I then opened a terminal window and ran sudo apt update and it reported all up to date. No changes other than setting my Local / Time zone etc. The cursor is in the center of the screen very briefly but then moves to the Raspberry with the click here message.
And there is no "point-rpi" entry in /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart?
Not sure what is going on? Maybe has something to do with config of the RPF screen?
With my RPi4 the update removed the point-rpi executable from the system so it would not work even if the command appears in autostart. However the update of my RPi3B+ did not remove the file and is still in /usr/bin/. You might try a find and see if it is still in the system somewhere.

Code: Select all

sudo find / -name point-rpi
If there then you could try renaming or deleting the point-rpi file.

Note that the change does not affect the tool tip text which will still show the same text when you manually mouse-over the menu icon.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

Paeryn

Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:37 pm

point-rpi was removed as a command, the feature instead became a custom config option of lxpanel (I assume this is an RPi customisation and not a general lxpanel feature). It's better now as it saves having a separate program just to move the cursor and lxpanel will know exactly where the menu button is incase you set the panel to be on the bottom or right, or you rearrange the entries (I assume they made it smart like that).

If you had your own user version from before the update then you won't have noticed, but the line is in /etc/xdg/lxpanel/LXDE-pi/panels/panel and is the last line of the Global section (currently line 26)

point_at_menu=1
Change that setting to =0 if you don't want the pointer moving to the panel's menu button on launch (or comment out / delete the line).
She who travels light — forgot something.
Please note that my name doesn't start with the @ character so can people please stop writing it as if it does!

alphanumeric

Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:13 pm

Paeryn wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:37 pm
point-rpi was removed as a command, the feature instead became a custom config option of lxpanel (I assume this is an RPi customisation and not a general lxpanel feature). It's better now as it saves having a separate program just to move the cursor and lxpanel will know exactly where the menu button is incase you set the panel to be on the bottom or right, or you rearrange the entries (I assume they made it smart like that).

If you had your own user version from before the update then you won't have noticed, but the line is in /etc/xdg/lxpanel/LXDE-pi/panels/panel and is the last line of the Global section (currently line 26)

point_at_menu=1
Change that setting to =0 if you don't want the pointer moving to the panel's menu button on launch (or comment out / delete the line).
point_at_menu=0 didn't work. Neither did deleting the whole line. :x

alphanumeric

Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:16 pm

klricks wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:24 pm
Not sure what is going on? Maybe has something to do with config of the RPF screen?
With my RPi4 the update removed the point-rpi executable from the system so it would not work even if the command appears in autostart. However the update of my RPi3B+ did not remove the file and is still in /usr/bin/. You might try a find and see if it is still in the system somewhere.

sudo find / -name point-rpi
If there then you could try renaming or deleting the point-rpi file.

Note that the change does not affect the tool tip text which will still show the same text when you manually mouse-over the menu icon.
Its centered on my Pi 3B+ that also has the Pi Foundation 7 inch touch screen.

alphanumeric

Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:27 pm

Found the fix
sudo nano /home/pi/.config/lxpanel/LXDE-pi/panels/panel
point_at_menu=0

klricks

Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:39 pm

alphanumeric wrote:
Found the fix
point_at_menu=0
My installation did not have the point_at_menu command at all in /home/pi/.config/lxpanel/LXDE-pi/panels/panel

point_at_menu=1 was in the other panel in /etc/xdg/......

FYI you should not use sudo when editing a file in the users /home/ directory.

alphanumeric

Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:53 pm

I'm a Linux NOOB, so I'm never really sure whether to use SUDO or not. And more often than not, if I don't I get a permission denied etc error message when I ctrl x to save the file. I will try and remember that though.

Paeryn

Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:57 am

alphanumeric wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:53 pm
I'm a Linux NOOB, so I'm never really sure whether to use SUDO or not. And more often than not, if I don't I get a permission denied etc error message when I ctrl x to save the file. I will try and remember that though.
If you're editing (or creating) a file located within your user's home directory tree then there should never be a need to use sudo as your user should already own them or is allowed to create them, if not then it's generally the case of a previous mis-use of sudo.

Most files and directories that aren't within your user's home directory tree aren't writable by your user without elevating privileges.
alphanumeric wrote:
Found the fix
point_at_menu=0
* sudo crossed out by me.
Yes, that's the user's local version, if this exists then the system one in /etc will be ignored. I'm not sure if the local version is created by default, I was thinking it would only be created either by you manually copying it or by you using the panel editor.
Last edited by Paeryn on Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
She who travels light — forgot something.
Please note that my name doesn't start with the @ character so can people please stop writing it as if it does!

alphanumeric

Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:07 am

Thanks for clearing that up. I will "try" to keep that in mind.

alphanumeric

Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:22 am

Paeryn wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:57 am
alphanumeric wrote:
Found the fix
point_at_menu=0
* sudo crossed out by me.
Yes, that's the user's local version, if this exists then the system one in /etc will be ignored. I'm not sure if the local version is created by default, I was thinking it would only be created either by you manually copying it or by you using the panel editor.
I did eventually do some customizations. I moved the menu bar to the bottom, changed the background to trees, added a CPU temp indicator, and changed the date time format, so maybe that created the local version?

dplumly

Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:04 pm

@alphanumeric

Thank you so much, worked like a charm!

alphanumeric

Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:10 pm

Your welcome. Thats one of those things that will annoy some of us to no end, but others will just ignore it.
A checkbox to turn it off would be nice. Or have it stop doing it after say a half dozen boot ups or something.

Return to “Beginners”