I want to have a router which connects to a OpenVPN server and have 3 clients connect to it. My internet speed over Ethernet cable is 50-80Mbps.
1. I have read that Pi 3B performance is bad since it doesn't have hardware encryption (AES-NI instructions) and VPN traffic is therefore slower. What speeds can I expect out of Pi4 considering that it has a 3 times faster Ethernet compared to 3B+ and it has USB 3.0? Does USB 3.0 share the same lane with ethernet as in previous Raspberries?
2. Do I need any other external hardware or is it enough to connect Ethernet cable to Raspberry and use internal wi-fi to create a hotspot?
3. I have a dilemma should I buy a dedicated router and flash DD-WRT/OpenWRT on it or create a router out of Raspberry. Even though both Raspberry and router don't have hardware encryption Raspberry still have a lot faster CPU compared to single core 500-1000MHz ones in cheap router. I was just wondering what is better option.
4. How much RAM do I need for this project? Is 1GB enough?
5. I also wanted to add functionality of ad blocking but I think I can't use PiHole as DNS server because all traffic goes though VPN. How can I achieve this using single Raspberry?