heymac

Eclipse on Buster - Solutions?

Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:01 pm

I recently upgraded my Pi 3B to use Buster, but I've been unable to get the Eclipse IDE to work.

It has been suggested on the Java forum to use Code - OSS (headmelted). However on installation and subsequent rollback of the IDE I get the following error message "Unable to start the C/C++ language server. IntelliSense features will be disabled. Error: Missing binary at /home/pi/.vscode-oss/extensions/ms-vscode.cpptools-0.21.0/bin/Microsoft.VSCode.CPP.Extension.linux". From research it appears only an x86 binary exists.

Has anyone managed to get Eclipse working on a Pi 3B and Buster?

fruitoftheloom

Re: Eclipse on Buster - Solutions?

Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:34 pm

heymac wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:01 pm
I recently upgraded my Pi 3B to use Buster, but I've been unable to get the Eclipse IDE to work.

It has been suggested on the Java forum to use Code - OSS (headmelted). However on installation and subsequent rollback of the IDE I get the following error message "Unable to start the C/C++ language server. IntelliSense features will be disabled. Error: Missing binary at /home/pi/.vscode-oss/extensions/ms-vscode.cpptools-0.21.0/bin/Microsoft.VSCode.CPP.Extension.linux". From research it appears only an x86 binary exists.

Has anyone managed to get Eclipse working on a Pi 3B and Buster?

Always best to search forums:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 1&t=247832
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

heymac

Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:58 pm

I read that prior to posting... It's probably worth adding that the Eclipse IDE is still available to download from the Buster repository and doesn't work for me.

Although Code - OSS (headmelted) is the suggested Java solution - the C/C++ intellisense module is only x86 compatible.

Andyroo

Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:41 pm

Re: It's probably worth adding that the Eclipse IDE is still available to download from the Buster repository

Blame the up stream build. Raspbian follows Debian and they have not pulled it yet :lol:
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

fruitoftheloom

Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:51 pm

Andyroo wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:41 pm
Re: It's probably worth adding that the Eclipse IDE is still available to download from the Buster repository

Blame the up stream build. Raspbian follows Debian and they have not pulled it yet :lol:

It is not available in Debian Buster:

https://packages.debian.org/stretch/eclipse
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

Skidmark

Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:59 pm

Be sure to up your swap file size form 100 to 400 or VSCode will lock up.
Al

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:15 pm

heymac wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:58 pm
I read that prior to posting... It's probably worth adding that the Eclipse IDE is still available to download from the Buster repository and doesn't work for me.

Although Code - OSS (headmelted) is the suggested Java solution - the C/C++ intellisense module is only x86 compatible.
Code::Blocks is another alternative, the one in the repo is fairly recent. Very fast too, as it's written in C++.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Skidmark

Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:20 pm

I con'd a friend of mine into upgrading to Buster and VSCode. He got it done, and just like me, once he got VSCode 1.32 installed and started it VSCode locked up with a blank screen. He increased swap size, still no joy.

When I went through these steps, an after I got the blank screen on 1..32 I ran update and upgrade, and to my surprise there was a 1.37 upgtade to VSCode. I have no idea what I did to my distro file(s) to get this unexpected bonus. Any way I'm now running VSCode 1.37. And other than the obvious performance issue(s) I seem to be running great. However my buddy is not picking up the 1.37 upgrade.

Can anybody tell me what step or config option I left out that's preventing him form picking up the 1.37 upgrade?

Al

heymac

Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:04 pm

Code::Blocks is another alternative, the one in the repo is fairly recent.
Thank you... Which repository? As I can't seem to locate it within my current set-up
Can anybody tell me what step or config option I left out that's preventing him form picking up the 1.37 upgrade?
The link that follows should explain https://github.com/Microsoft/vscode/issues/6442

Return to “C/C++”