jcyr

PI4 doesn't shut down +5V & 3.3V pins after sudo shutdown now

Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:16 pm

After upgrading the PI4 bootloader as per https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 7&t=246027 I find that the Pi no longer turns off the 5V and 3.3V header pins at shutdown. This means that any hat, fan, etc. will remain powered after system shutdown!

That doesn't seem right?
It's um...uh...well it's kinda like...and it's got a bit of...

PeterO

Re: PI4 doesn't shut down +5V & 3.3V pins after sudo shutdown now

Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:21 pm

jcyr wrote:
After upgrading the PI4 bootloader as per https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 7&t=246027 I find that the Pi no longer turns off the 5V and 3.3V header pins at shutdown. This means that any hat, fan, etc. will remain powered after system shutdown!

That doesn't seem right?
It's all explained in the thread you linked to :roll:
PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

jcyr

Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:32 pm

PeterO wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:21 pm
jcyr wrote:

That doesn't seem right?
It's all explained in the thread you linked to :roll:
PeterO
It also says that this will become the default!!! Problem, for Pi powered hats. Doesn't seem acceptable?

trejan

Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:39 pm

jcyr wrote:
It also says that this will become the default!!! Problem, for Pi powered hats. Doesn't seem acceptable?
The new default is how the older RPi boards worked. The RPi engineers can't win here. People complained when the RPi 4 turned off the 3.3V rail as it could cause damage with parts that were powered by 3.3V and 5V being only partially powered. Now you're complaining that leaving the 3.3V rail on means HATs remain powered even when the RPi 4 is off. Somebody is going to have to compromise and use the bootloader option.

jcyr

Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:45 pm

trejan wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:39 pm
jcyr wrote:
The new default is how the older RPi boards worked. The RPi engineers can't win here. People complained when the RPi 4 turned off the 3.3V rail as it could cause damage with parts that were powered by 3.3V and 5V being only partially powered. Now you're complaining that leaving the 3.3V rail on means HATs remain powered even when the RPi 4 is off. Somebody is going to have to compromise and use the bootloader option.
I'm fine with setting options. The initial announcement refers to an 'embedded config file' where these bootloader options can be set, but doesn't specify the actual filename.

W. H. Heydt

Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:54 pm

jcyr wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:45 pm
I'm fine with setting options. The initial announcement refers to an 'embedded config file' where these bootloader options can be set, but doesn't specify the actual filename.
So far as I can tell, that "embedded config file" is embedded in the EEPROM on the board. I have yet to see anything suggesting either the ability for user modifications to that, or a way to override settings there. But give the engineers time and they may find a way to permit it.

dickon

Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:10 pm

Instructions on how to edit that file are at https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... teeprom.md. It isn't the most user-friendly of things to do, however.

trejan

Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:13 pm

The embedded configuration file is a block of data inside the bootcode. This is inside the bootcode EEPROM or in /boot/bootcode.bin depending on what model you have.

For a RPi 4, you need to edit the file and then flash it using the recovery utility or directly using flashrom. It isn't very user friendly right now as the example given is to alter an option using sed. We'll get some fancy tool or wrapper to do it at some point in the future.

jcyr

Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:34 pm

dickon wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:10 pm
Instructions on how to edit that file are at https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... teeprom.md. It isn't the most user-friendly of things to do, however.
Thanks

LTolledo

Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:18 pm

Checking the schematics, there is no on-board component that can shut-off the 5v line, well except for older boards that has polyfuses, and the RPi4B has none.

am fine with the 3.3v line being always ON all the time during reboot/shut-off, until the supplied power is totally cut-off...

curious, why do you want to have the 3.3v cut-off during shutdown? ( and not during reboot?)
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

jcyr

Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:43 am

LTolledo wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:18 pm
curious, why do you want to have the 3.3v cut-off during shutdown? ( and not during reboot?)
Mainly because I'd like a particular hat to draw 0 power when the system is halted.

Indeed the 5V line seems to be permanently on. With the right eeprom bootloader settings I should be able to get the 3.3V line to shut down and use that and extra hat circuitry to turn of the hat's 5V supply.

timg236
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:44 am

trejan wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:13 pm
The embedded configuration file is a block of data inside the bootcode. This is inside the bootcode EEPROM or in /boot/bootcode.bin depending on what model you have.

For a RPi 4, you need to edit the file and then flash it using the recovery utility or directly using flashrom. It isn't very user friendly right now as the example given is to alter an option using sed. We'll get some fancy tool or wrapper to do it at some point in the future.
Yes, there is a friendly Python script under test right now which will do this because the set of options will grow for advanced boot modes. That plus scripts for updating the EEPROM from Linux will be available in the next couple of weeks, with beta versions being posted to the forums.

Return to “General discussion”