UnknownX

Coolbaby game console

Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:49 pm

I recently bought the raspberry pi 3 lite coolbaby console from china and its working amazingly however the 64gb memory card that came with it had so many chines games so i decided to format the sd card and installed a custom rom. My issue is the built in controller on the board is never detected i have tried the impossible to get it to work if i install a usb controller it is detected as 1 controller in emu station however the built in controll is not. If any one can help id appreciated i have the original memorry card from china can the drivers or config of controller be there and where would it be located. Attached is the photo of coolbaby
Attachments
D5D9D8C3-83A7-4171-8E70-61A08713FB37.jpeg
D5D9D8C3-83A7-4171-8E70-61A08713FB37.jpeg (111.03 KiB) Viewed 3439 times

UnknownX

Re: Coolbaby game console

Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:49 pm

Any ideas please

jdonald

Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:07 am

Some GPIO controller setups use this: https://github.com/recalbox/mk_arcade_joystick_rpi

If it's that or anything like it, look around at the kernel modules on the Coolbaby OS like so:

Code: Select all

lsmod | grep joy
cat /etc/modules
ls -la /etc/modprobe.d
If it's a USB-based controller, you'll see it in:

Code: Select all

lsusb
Though that seems unlikely as you've said it isn't working plug-and-play, which would normally be the case for HID devices.

UnknownX

Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:54 pm

Thanks j however i cant access the coolbaby via terminal as it has no network at all wirless nor wifi. The only way i can access the whole system is via sd card on a windows pc using disk genius as it reads ext4. I am new to this i would really appreciate any info on how to set the controlls to be detected.

jdonald

Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:23 pm

Well in that case you can't easily run lsmod or lsusb, but you should still check in /etc/modprobe.d and the /etc/modules file on the ext4 filesystem.

Also check /lib/modules for anything that says arcade or joystick.

UnknownX

Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:36 pm

Yes j i found both files and i copied them in the new custom rom in the same directory one copied in etc/ modules.config and another in etc / modules see below pictures however when i booted up the new rom in the coolbaby and emustation came up it showed no controller detected zero.i tried to attach the pic for you but said file to large but here is what was written in modules

Uinput
Gamecon_gpio_rpi
mk_arcade_joystick_rpi

jdonald

Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:29 pm

Glad you were able to track it down.

Unfortunately you can't just copy binaries for those things over as they need to match your kernel version exactly. You'll have to compile your kernel modules from source and install. See https://github.com/marqs85/gamecon_gpio_rpi and https://github.com/recalbox/mk_arcade_joystick_rpi

The uiinput module ought to be readily available already but you can check for it under /lib/modules. Once you have all three kernel modules loaded, there might be some configuration work to do and you'll have to follow the documentation. This is by no means an easy task, so props to you for taking it on.

UnknownX

Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:42 pm

Hi j i have another question please so what i tried to do instead of figuring the controller option is to use my coolbaby image which is 64 gb image and used diskimager to burn it on 512gb sd card and open it inside windows with diskgenius which can read ext4 partitions i then deleted the Chinese roms and emulators and then opened my cutome folder which had english roms and bios and tried to copy it to the coolbabu image on the 512gb sd card. This was going to be the best solution however diskgenius showed that the retropi image was locked at 64gb so even though it was on a 512gb sd card it said full cant copy files. The rest of the 512 space was greyed out i tried to extend the retropi image to be a bigger space but disk genius would let me by stating disk error in the free space. Is there a solution to solve this issue or a windows software that you know of to solve this issue.

jdonald

Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:56 am

Glad you found an easier solution. I'm afraid I don't have any experience with DiskGenius on Windows. Paragon extFS for Mac can do the same thing, but I'd most recommend doing this on a Linux laptop with fdisk, resize2fs, and/or gparted.

And of course, back up the original 64 GB somewhere before doing anything risky to the partitions.

GobliZ

Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:28 am

A bit late answer, but I only recently purchased a 'Coolbaby' handheld with a raspberry pi 3 compute module in it (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000281 ... 6b016jo9dA). The handheld comes with an SD card loaded with retropie. However, the image is not very good and everything is in chinese. So I burned my own image (based on Retrorama Rampage v2, 128GB, tweaked to my liking). When I started the device the image was loading fine, but none of the buttons where working. This meant that the controls where not hooked up with a standard usb, otherwise it would have worked out of the box. So I had to do some reverse engineering on the image that came with it and in the end I got everything working, so I thought I'd share the instructions so others can benefit.

First you need a way to connect the device to internet. The device has no ethernet port nor wifi, so you either need a usb-to-ethernet converter or a wifi usb-dongle to connect to the internet. I used a usb-to-ethernet converter and hooked it up to one of the usb ports of the device. Second, you need a keyboard with usb connection and hook it up to the device. Then burn your favorite retropie image to the sd card and start the device. You will notice that none of the controls work. You can use the keyboard to navigate to 'Retropie' and then to 'Retropie Setup'. Then navigate to 'Manage Packages' and 'Manage driver packages'. Then in the next menu install both 'mkarcade joystick' and 'xpad'. Once both are installed hit F4 on the keyboard to go to the command line. Next we have to set the configuration files for both mk_arcade_joystick_rpi and xpad. To do this type the command:

sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/mk_arcade_joystick_rpi.conf

With the editor add:

options mk_arcade_joystick_rpi map=1

Then press Ctrl+X, Y and hit Enter to save and exit the file editor.

Then from the command line type:

sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/xpad.conf

again, with the editor add:

options xpad triggers_to_buttons=1

Again press Ctrl+X, Y and hit Enter to save and exit. Then from the command line enter:

sudo reboot

The device will reboot and once rebooted you can enter the add controller with the keyboard and register all buttons of the device as they are now recognized by retropie.

Happy gaming :)

xgfmaster

Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:09 am

hello I to got a coolbaby and have the same problem i saw that you expland how to configure it but it does not work i have an image of 256gb [256gb]-VirtualMan.XII.Platinum.Old.School.Ampd-VirtualMan and i did what you put on the post but it seas command not found can you put the full instructions or a video please and thks :D GobliZ

mikeaja

Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:59 pm

HI, i just recently bought this coolbaby..I got stuck at the boot..everytime i press on..the screen goes black/white..i messange the shop..they just said try to put in and out so many times the sd card. itried that but still no luck?does any had any idea?

thanks

Return to “Gaming”