innocent_bystander

Re: Kodi 18.3 Leia for Raspberry Pi 4

Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:23 am

berrywhite96 wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:39 pm
innocent_bystander wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:35 am
Sorry, I don't have a 4K setup, so can't be of much help... other than suggesting to make sure your gpu_mem is set to 320MB.
Oh ok, GPU mem is set to 320MB, tried 360MB but kodi crashed on startup. Maybe anyone can confirm that he/she has [email protected]?

Another idea I had is, if you have a spare microSD card, install LibreELEC on it and see if it can do [email protected] If it does, you should be able to do it as well. :)
The Sirius Cybernetics Corporation is the primary manufacturer and supplier of androids, robots and autonomic assistants for the known universe. ... The company motto is "Share and Enjoy."

JeeWee

Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:22 pm

Does this work on Raspbian Buster Lite as well?
When I try starting kodi or kodi-rpi4 I get the message

Code: Select all

ERROR: Unable to create GUI. Exiting

berrywhite96

Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:01 pm

Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:23 am
berrywhite96 wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:39 pm
Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:35 am
Sorry, I don't have a 4K setup, so can't be of much help... other than suggesting to make sure your gpu_mem is set to 320MB.
Oh ok, GPU mem is set to 320MB, tried 360MB but kodi crashed on startup. Maybe anyone can confirm that he/she has [email protected]?

Another idea I had is, if you have a spare microSD card, install LibreELEC on it and see if it can do [email protected] If it does, you should be able to do it as well. :)
Good idea, I will search for an unused SD card. Thanks!
JeeWee wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:22 pm
Does this work on Raspbian Buster Lite as well?
When I try starting kodi or kodi-rpi4 I get the message

Code: Select all

Yes, it works. Got it running with 320M on gpu_mem. Make sure u install the deb file, dont install Kodi from repo.

Edit for [email protected] Problem:
Installed LibreElec on an other sd card and the result was the same. Did some research and found a guy from LibreElec demonstrating the Pi 4 with the newest build. He also couldnt run video on [email protected], sadly he didnt tell why. But he recommended to run Kodi UI on [email protected] and whitelist 2160p support on all refresh rates. This seems to me a good compromise so the UI runs flawlessly and the video too on the highest resolution.
I couldnt figured out why [email protected] doesnt work, maybe someone else got an answer.

riviera1

Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:44 pm

I kept getting this same error every time I tried to start Kodi (either by terminal or the Raspbian menu).

I have a new Raspberry Pi 4 (4G ram) with fresh Raspbian Buster with Desktop install. Memory is set at 512M. I installed Kodi from the link in the first post on this thread. I had originally set the graphics driver to the original non-GL version and every time I started Kodi the "unable to create GUI error" came up and Kodi wouldn't load. So I changed the driver to the experimental GL driver and Kodi loads without this error.

However, with the experimental GL driver, my Silicondust HDHomeRun streams won't play (I think they are MPEG-2 streams and I use the HDHomeRun app for Kodi to play them)- the screen turns black and kodi crashes to Raspbian desktop. I also have a Pi 3B+ with Kodi 17.6 and the non_GL driver has to be used to play the HDHomeRun MPEG-2 streams. So is it assumed that everyone using the Pi 4 with Kodi Leia should be using the experimental GL driver?

Interestingly, when I first got the Pi 4, I installed Raspbian Buster with desktop and then Kodi 17.6 from the Kodi repository. In this setup, the original non-GL graphics driver was used. I could launch Kodi without any problem, but with Kodi running without any playback, both CPU's were running at about 80-90%. Playing MPEG-2 tv streams was very choppy at 1080p and I think increased CPU utilization to close to 100%.

Anyway, these are my Pi 4 experiences so far.

innocent_bystander

Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:49 pm

riviera1 wrote:
I kept getting this same error every time I tried to start Kodi (either by terminal or the Raspbian menu).

I have a new Raspberry Pi 4 (4G ram) with fresh Raspbian Buster with Desktop install. Memory is set at 512M. I installed Kodi from the link in the first post on this thread. I had originally set the graphics driver to the original non-GL version and every time I started Kodi the "unable to create GUI error" came up and Kodi wouldn't load. So I changed the driver to the experimental GL driver and Kodi loads without this error.

However, with the experimental GL driver, my Silicondust HDHomeRun streams won't play (I think they are MPEG-2 streams and I use the HDHomeRun app for Kodi to play them)- the screen turns black and kodi crashes to Raspbian desktop. I also have a Pi 3B+ with Kodi 17.6 and the non_GL driver has to be used to play the HDHomeRun MPEG-2 streams. So is it assumed that everyone using the Pi 4 with Kodi Leia should be using the experimental GL driver?

Interestingly, when I first got the Pi 4, I installed Raspbian Buster with desktop and then Kodi 17.6 from the Kodi repository. In this setup, the original non-GL graphics driver was used. I could launch Kodi without any problem, but with Kodi running without any playback, both CPU's were running at about 80-90%. Playing MPEG-2 tv streams was very choppy at 1080p and I think increased CPU utilization to close to 100%.

@riviera1, you are correct -- fkms driver needs to be enabled for Kodi to work (dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d). I've added it to the post.
The Sirius Cybernetics Corporation is the primary manufacturer and supplier of androids, robots and autonomic assistants for the known universe. ... The company motto is "Share and Enjoy."

amilino

Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:09 pm

Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:49 pm
riviera1 wrote:

@riviera1, you are correct -- fkms driver needs to be enabled for Kodi to work (dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d). I've added it to the post.
I didn't had to enable it. It was there by default.

riviera1

Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:53 pm

So is there a reason that MPEG-2 streams would cause this version of Kodi on a Pi 4 to crump and crash to desktop? Or is it something to do with the player apps like the HDHomeRun app not being ready for this setup yet? I know the Pi 4 doesn't have hardware MPEG-2 decoding like prior Pi versions.

I thought in the past that when using Kodi 17.x or earlier on a Pi 2/3 that the original non-GL driver had to be used, although I'm not sure why. Just something I noted in a number of how to guides.

innocent_bystander

Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:06 pm

amilino wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:09 pm
I didn't had to enable it. It was there by default.
Same here. I put it there for folks (like riviera1) end up taking it out for some reason.

innocent_bystander

Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:11 pm

riviera1 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:53 pm
So is there a reason that MPEG-2 streams would cause this version of Kodi on a Pi 4 to crump and crash to desktop? Or is it something to do with the player apps like the HDHomeRun app not being ready for this setup yet? I know the Pi 4 doesn't have hardware MPEG-2 decoding like prior Pi versions.

I thought in the past that when using Kodi 17.x or earlier on a Pi 2/3 that the original non-GL driver had to be used, although I'm not sure why. Just something I noted in a number of how to guides.
Not sure, my man. I would suggest looking in the Kodi logs for clues.

riviera1

Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:13 pm

Same here. I put it there for folks (like riviera1) end up taking it out for some reason.
I disabled it because it supposedly was required to do so for Kodi on Raspbian in prior versions of Kodi and the Pi. At least according to some of the guides I read. Like this one:

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/install-k ... ia-center/

innocent_bystander

Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:19 pm

riviera1 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:13 pm
I disabled it because it supposedly was required to do so for Kodi on Raspbian in prior versions of Kodi and the Pi. At least according to some of the guides I read. Like this one:

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/install-k ... ia-center/
@riviera1, I believe you. I think I had to do the same, when I tried running Kodi on my RPi 3 back in the day. (Ended up selling it due to inability to play my h.265 files.)

I am sure there will be other folks who will try to follow outdated guides and end up removing it from their configs. Thanks by the way for finding that out.

bscphil

Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:19 am

Some have mentioned that using a script to switch from an X server to a vterm before running Kodi makes it slow. However, I'm using this package on a minimal Raspbian installation with no GUI, and I'm still experiencing extreme slowness and laggy inputs in anything involving the Kodi GUI. Once a video starts, as long as I don't call up the GUI everything is okay.

Hopefully this is fixed when the official 18.3 package for Buster is released ... and hopefully it will be released soon.

Edit: also, when watching anything with subtitles, the subtitles (but not the video) flicker and tear.

Noobelec

Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:09 am

Hi everyone

I am new to the Raspberry Pi 4 as of yesterday. Bought to replace my old Boxee Box as a media streamer for my movie collection.

Installed Kodi and Libreelec from here: https://libreelec.tv/raspberry-pi-4/

Managed to connect up, install and scan my NAS share. Cover art is all found fine and the library shows up as it should.

However, I get audio but no video playback (tried a number of different files) every time I play a movie. To me this seems codec related, but I do not know enough about Kodi/Libreelec settings yet to ensure I am doing the right thing. I am not at work and I was up late last night tinkering, but I did try going into Video Playback settings and turning off hardware decoding - this changed nothing. Above that an option was greyed out (I think it was software related) and I could not change it; I had seen some advice elsewhere which suggested this could be the cause of no video with sound only.

Now, I have been reading this thread and there is talk of changing config.txt files etc. Do I need to enable something for the video to work? Or is it something else? Share type?

Very excited to be part of the community, and I wanted to say thank you in advance for any advice you can give me.

Setup:

Synology 710+ (video music etc)
Raspberry Pi 4 with LibreElec and Kodi 18.3
HDMI out to TV
Last edited by Noobelec on Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

innocent_bystander

Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:55 pm

Noobelec wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:09 am
Hi everyone

I am new to the Raspberry Pi 4 as of yesterday. Bought to replace my old Boxee Box as a media streamer for my movie collection.

Installed Kodi and Libreelec from here: https://libreelec.tv/raspberry-pi-4/

Managed to connect up, install and scan my NAS share. Cover art is all found fine and the library shows up as it should.

However, I get audio but no video playback (tried a number of different files) every time I play a movie. To me this seems codec related, but I do not know enough about Kodi/Libreelec settings yet to ensure I am doing the right thing. I am not at work and I was up late last night tinkering, but I did try going into Video Playback settings and turning off hardware decoding - this changed nothing. Above that an option was greyed out (I think it was software related) and I could not change it; I had seen some advice elsewhere which suggested this could be the cause of no video with sound only.

Now, I have been reading this thread and there is talk of changing config.txt files etc. Do I need to enable something for the video to work? Or is it something else? Share type?

Very excited to be part of the community, and I wanted to say thank you in advance for any advice you can give me.

@Noobelec, you are probably better off asking LibreELEC specific questions on their forums, but I believe all the settings in the config.txt should already be set for you.

This thread is for an unofficial version of Kodi that runs on Raspbian.

Good luck!

Noobelec

Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:02 pm

Well, that just shows what a newbie I am!

Thank you for the advice, I'll head over there.

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”