ikk

Raspberry Pi 4B display sizing too large

Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:58 pm

Hello,

I just booted up my new raspberry pi 4B with raspbian buster.

However, the screen size seems to be too large to fit on my tv. I can’t see the task panel (not sure what it’s called) and the icons on the sides are cut off.

Any clue on how to fix that?

Thanks!

Setup:

Raspberry Pi 4B 4GB RAM
OKdo 5.1V 3A power supply
Latest Raspbian Buster
32” 1080P TV

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Raspberry Pi 4B display sizing too large

Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:44 pm

ikk wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:58 pm
Hello,

I just booted up my new raspberry pi 4B with raspbian buster.

However, the screen size seems to be too large to fit on my tv. I can’t see the task panel (not sure what it’s called) and the icons on the sides are cut off.

Any clue on how to fix that?

Thanks!

Setup:

Raspberry Pi 4B 4GB RAM
OKdo 5.1V 3A power supply
Latest Raspbian Buster
32” 1080P TV
Probably the known "overscan" issue - historically T.V.'s always expected an overscanned input, however some (recent) T.V.'s (I have some) expect an underscanned input from a "PC-like" connected device but don't necessarily state that in the edid file. Edid handling changed within Buster and overscan/underscan methods are "in the pipeline" for the P4B. Buster also behaves differently with older Pi's and HDMI-to-VGA converters. AFAICT it's more of an issue for displays (T.V.'s) that only support CEA modes, DMT modes, either via HDMI/DVI or a (good) HDMI-to-VGA converter behave/are handled better. I haven't re-tested overscan/underscan recently - there may have been an update - it's also needed for composite output. For the P4B, IIRC, it's possible to (partially) revert to "older methods" but, IIRC, that may impact on dual-video output (not something I have need for - no suitable extra displays - and so haven't played with ....)
Trev.
Edit: See also this thread w.r.t. overscan/underscan "status": https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 8&t=246167
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2) but Buster on the P4B's. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

HawaiianPi

Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:41 pm

Check your TV settings to see if you can disable overscan on the port your Pi is connected to. Unfortunately, many TV makers do not call the setting, overscan (that would be too easy), so it may require a bit of deduction, searching or trial and error to find the correct setting.

Alternatively, there may be one HDMI port on your TV specifically for PC input (usually accompanied by a nearby audio input), and that port may have overscan disabled by default.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:30 pm

O.K. I've updated/upgraded Buster on my P4B and "fiddled about" a bit to check the "fall-back to older methods workaround. Two things were necessary for my "overscanning" (desktop off-screen at the edges) T.V.
1) Enable underscan in "Raspberry Pi Configuration", "System"
2) Comment out "dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d" in the "[pi4]" section of config.txt (this bit will have other effects that impact on P4B features that you may want to use - as I noted in my previous post)
Trev.
(Submitted from the P4B)
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2) but Buster on the P4B's. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

ikk

Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:28 am

FTrevorGowen wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:30 pm
O.K. I've updated/upgraded Buster on my P4B and "fiddled about" a bit to check the "fall-back to older methods workaround. Two things were necessary for my "overscanning" (desktop off-screen at the edges) T.V.
1) Enable underscan in "Raspberry Pi Configuration", "System"
2) Comment out "dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d" in the "[pi4]" section of config.txt (this bit will have other effects that impact on P4B features that you may want to use - as I noted in my previous post)
Trev.
(Submitted from the P4B)
I couldn’t find the underscan option in the Raspberry Pi Configuration. However, I did the second thing you recommended and it worked perfectly! Can’t thank you enough!

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:48 pm

ikk wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:28 am
I couldn’t find the underscan option in the Raspberry Pi Configuration. However, I did the second thing you recommended and it worked perfectly! Can’t thank you enough!
That option (currently) only becomes available once "dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d" has been commented out and the Pi re-booted.
Trev.

Atari2020

Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:52 pm

I just got my Pi 4 and have it and my Pi 3 on my old 1080 TV. I have the overscan issue but these posts give me hopes to fix it. Thanks for the great advice others posted I fixed the problem of vga display only by switching hdmi ports used.

Atari2020

Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:52 pm

Update on my overscan problem

Commenting out dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d worked on my older TV that supports CEA and DMT modes. I noticed that I have the same display control settings as the Pi 3 now. I wonder if there is any perfomance issues with the older driver? I have tried a few games like TuxRacer and there is some improvement but still unplayable FPS.

Thanks for the help

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:28 pm

Atari2020 wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:52 pm
Update on my overscan problem

Commenting out dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d worked on my older TV that supports CEA and DMT modes. I noticed that I have the same display control settings as the Pi 3 now. I wonder if there is any perfomance issues with the older driver? I have tried a few games like TuxRacer and there is some improvement but still unplayable FPS.

Thanks for the help
Some, kernel-based, support for overscan/underscan control with the fkms "driver" active is now possible (testing with my setup is on my "to do list", hopefully over the w/end) see this thread: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 3&t=250675
Trev.

Return to “Troubleshooting”