Himbeerix

How to migrate from rpi3 to rpi4?

Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:34 pm

Hello,
I updated Raspbian to buster on my old rpi3 and was at least booting. For that are some tutorials around. I know it not recommended but if i install all new i need weeks to get all working again. I'm not a linux pro. Then i put the SD card in the rpi4 but it doesnt boot. I got a black screen and nothing happens. Is there a tutorial for that? or has somebody a solution?

pcmanbob

Re: How to migrate from rpi3 to rpi4?

Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:14 pm

Hi.

You have discovered why up grading from one OS ( stretch ) to the next in the series ( buster ) is not recommended,
you cant guarantee what the out come will be due not knowing what software is installed and how it will be affected by the up grade.

That's why the recommended up grade route is to do a fresh install of the the new OS and then reinstall all your software and just copy over any data or programs you might have written.

The chances of getting your SD card to boot your new pi4 are slim at best and you are on your own as no one here will know what software you and install or how you configured it.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

fruitoftheloom

Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:18 pm

Himbeerix wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:34 pm
Hello,
I updated Raspbian to buster on my old rpi3 and was at least booting. For that are some tutorials around. I know it not recommended but if i install all new i need weeks to get all working again. I'm not a linux pro. Then i put the SD card in the rpi4 but it doesnt boot. I got a black screen and nothing happens. Is there a tutorial for that? or has somebody a solution?

Fully update Buster prior to trying in RPi 4B

Code: Select all

sudo apt update
sudo apt full-upgrade
sudo reboot

The HDMi port nearest the power port is the default, and best to use a cable rather than adaptors.....
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Buster.
Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1

fbe

Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:38 pm

If you have a second SD card available, write a recent raspbian image on it and try to boot that, to make sure that all other parts are working correctly. Then you might retry with your upgraded SD card.

If you are using an NOOBS with Raspbian look here https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 9&t=100966

Himbeerix

Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:43 pm

Thank you for your answers. I will try that tomorrow. I already tested the rpi4 with other card with a clean buster image. All is working, so I think the only problem is the upgraded raspbian installation.

Return to “Troubleshooting”