exartemarte

Pi4 Cooling

Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:54 pm

The over-temperature icon is flickering on and off continuously on the Pi4/4 I'm running as a second desktop, alongside my 'proper' desktop. It's fitted with heatsinks and mounted in a modified old-type official case with both side panels and the top cover left off. On current Buster it's running one program – the Chrome browser with two tabs open, one of them displaying a national newspaper and the other streaming BBC iPlayer Radio. It's not an especially warm day.

By and large I'm quite impressed with this new version, but I think we're kidding ourselves if we think it's suitable for use as a desktop without a cooling fan.

Edit: I note that the new Pi4 case, if you can get one, doesn't have the removable side panels and top cover, which will presumably make matters worse.

clicky

Re: Pi4 Cooling

Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:33 pm

Fan SHIM our favourite pirates are selling makes temperature under control at all times. After installing it I haven't seen it going over 49ºC at any point. And - it is solderless installation - so no need to 'dedicate' PI to run with that particular shim.

Alternative (from my perspective) is what I've done for my son's Orange Pi - made a case with fan 1cm away from PCB constantly working extracting air. I suspect that (even being enclosed) it would keep temperature low enough...

Return to “General discussion”