wannacoder

Designing real electrical car

Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:47 am

Hi everyone,
I have many questions about how to design electrical car properly so my first question is that I wanna design the motherboard of car which is help me to see car's features momentarily i.e. battery charge, heat, motion sensors etc. So my dear friends, can you help me to code the mainboard? I will be thankful if you help me.(You can send me videos, PDFs or lecture about this topic)

echmain

Re: Designing real electrical car

Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:17 pm

Is this a Raspberry Pi question?

clicky

Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:41 pm

It might be if 'motherboard' is RPi :) (or one of).

BTW Question is quite interesting - it is almost saying: "I would like to do same as big car manufacturers are doing paying 100s of millions of dollars for R&D - maybe someone here can help me code for it?"

wannacoder

Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:54 pm

echmain wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:17 pm
Is this a Raspberry Pi question?
I want to design motherboard by using raspberry pi but i could not find any good resources related this area.

Heater

Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:55 pm

Quite likely there are no resources related to that area.

Judging by your question you do not yet know anything about electronics, or computer programming, never mind "Designing a real electrical car"

That is OK, we all had to start from nothing, but be aware that each of these is a huge subject and will take years to get familiar with.

Perhaps a good start is exploring all the pages of raspberrypi.org. The news, the blogs the MagPi etc,

Start by tackling some very much smaller projects, like temperature measurement, motion detection/measurement etc.

As far as electronics is concerned get yourself the book: "The Art of Electronics." by Horowitz and Hill. And read the works of Forrest Mimms: https://www.forrestmims.com/

For programming, well, there are tutorials all over the net. I would not know what to suggest first.

IOTON

Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:58 am

It's not so simple.

You will need to learn:

1. Power electronics
2. Signals and systems.
3. MCU principles and programming
4. Motor control principles (FOC etc).
and more and more and more.
it's assumed you already know physics and math

Solving simple problems - the best way to start.

I recommend using MATLAB. It has good documentation (150 000+ pages), and you can use your raspberry with this software.

Gavinmc42

Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:07 am

What car has heat and motion sensing? Kit?
Do Tesla's have that yet?

Is it just monitoring or are you going to do full 100KW+ 3phase motor control?

Mainboard?
Going to need more that just one PCB.

You can send me videos, PDFs or lecture about this topic)
Or you could goolge this yourself and save us the trouble?

Start here
https://www.automotivelinux.org/
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

Gavinmc42

Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:41 am

Find your nearest Formula E company and visit them?
https://www.fiaformulae.com/
I'm dancing on Rainbows.

wannacoder

Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:45 am

Also, I'm an electrical engineering student so I know the circuit design,PCB design etc. Actually, I want to code the headlight control, battery management system, heat controller . I mean that I dont want to design car like Tesla so its not too complicated. Furthermore, I could not find related sources about these topics.

B.Goode

Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:50 am

wannacoder wrote:
Also, I'm an electrical engineering student so I know the circuit design,PCB design etc. Actually, I want to code the headlight control, battery management system, heat controller . I mean that I dont want to design car like Tesla so its not too complicated. Furthermore, I could not find related sources about these topics.

One of us is confused. I don't think it is me...

Previously you said, twice:
I want to design motherboard by using raspberry pi
but then contradict that with
I know the circuit design,PCB design

Now you ask:
. Actually, I want to code the headlight control, battery management system, heat controller .

So - PCB layout/design, or Coding?

Either way, perhaps start with some basic familiarisation with the capabilities of an RPi-based controller: https://projects.raspberrypi.org/en/pro ... -computing

wannacoder

Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:16 am

B.Goode wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:50 am
wannacoder wrote:

One of us is confused. I don't think it is me...

Previously you said, twice:
I want to design motherboard by using raspberry pi
but then contradict that with
I know the circuit design,PCB design

Now you ask:
. Actually, I want to code the headlight control, battery management system, heat controller .

So - PCB layout/design, or Coding?

Either way, perhaps start with some basic familiarisation with the capabilities of an RPi-based controller: https://projects.raspberrypi.org/en/pro ... -computing
Firstly, my teammates are going to design PCB and I need to code them properly to raspberry pi 4. I know how to write code on python but I dont know how to code the headlight controlling mechanism,BMS etc. I could not find good article or example about these topics.

B.Goode

Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:33 am

my teammates are going to design PCB and I need to code them properly to raspberry pi 4. I know how to write code on python but I dont know how to code the headlight controlling mechanism,BMS etc. I could not find good article or example about these topics.

Maybe it is impossible to make progress until your colleagues have defined the hardware interface their PCB design will present to the code you need to write...

Gavinmc42

Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:35 am

Body Electrics is the term for stuff not connected to the engine or drive system.
Climate control, lighting, RC locking, electric windows, radio and camera etc.

When you include electric cars then BMS's, battery management systems are needed.
Normally this is integrated with the charging system and battery pack.
Voltages are increasing, 400, 600, 800 volts, these are not to be lightly played with.

Lots of stuff involved in all this, no one can be an expert in all of it these days.
Now they shove phones and internet into cars.

What can be done/has been with Pi's?
Mostly media centres.
My new car has USB and HDMI.
Some have hooked up to the OBD and plotted data.

I have done dash clusters with Netbeans/Java and recently Ultibo, both with accelerated OpenVG dials.
But only for push bikes, overlaying the dials on videos etc. Sensors have been i2c based.
Pi's can also do cameras and overlays.
Camera object recognition is hard, lots to learn there but new chips are helping by doing that in hardware.
https://blog.hackster.io/a-new-risc-v-b ... a6ac5af7ce

Navigation- GPS is easy enough, mapping data etc is needed.
This stuff is usable for vehicles including car, bikes, boats, drones.....

My new car has USB and HDMI.
I powered a Pi Zero from the USB port and feed the HDMI back in.
That pretty much gives a display usable for anything without ripping the car apart ;)

You have a lot to learn so pick something that interests you the most.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.

hippy

Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:38 pm

B.Goode wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:33 am
my teammates are going to design PCB and I need to code them properly to raspberry pi 4. I know how to write code on python but I dont know how to code the headlight controlling mechanism,BMS etc. I could not find good article or example about these topics.
Maybe it is impossible to make progress until your colleagues have defined the hardware interface their PCB design will present to the code you need to write...
As well as knowing what hardware you have, how to interface to that, you will need to decide what you mean by "controlling the thing".

What for example does "the headlight controlling mechanism" amount to; turning it on and off in accordance with switch operation or button pushes, or automatic headlight levelling ?

Your battery management system may be even more complicated and it would depend on what the battery characteristics are and what it requires to be managed.

You will need to define a much more detailed specification to implement than what you currently have.

You will likely be able to find example code for doing one particular thing; "turn something on and off when a button is pushed", even more complicated things, but you are unlikely to find ready written code which will do exactly what you may want to implement.

I would guess there may be some ready-rolled packages or examples out there for people building their own e-vehicles who are unable to code things themselves but those will probably be limited to particular designs, not necessarily suited to others or anything beyond what they are intended to support.

This might be a good starting point -

https://www.rs-online.com/designspark/f ... and-i-help

Return to “General discussion”