__Vinz__

Access point tutorial missing information about bridging?

Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:31 am

Hi there,

I followed the official tutorial at https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... et-sharing to setup my R-Pi 3 as an access point using Raspbian. The plan was to replace my router with the Pi as we move/switch houses. My router sits behind a DOCSIS 3 cable modem.

What I have found is that, once configured, everything worked fine and stations are able to connect to the Pi access point and get Internet access provided the Pi sits behind my router (whose DHCP servers gives 192.168.x.x addresses). If I remove the router and plug the Pi directly into the modem, this does not work anymore (the modem also has a DHCP server).

I think the issue is that when I connect directly to the modem, I (and the Pi does as well) get an address that is publically routable (e.g. 70.x.x.x), not on the 192.168.x.x network. Since the tutorial uses a bridge configuration, I figured this is because the bridged networks here do not share the same mask (i.e. 192.168.x.x and 70.x.x.x in my case).

Does my analysis holds? If so, do you think a pull request to add that to the master page would be relevant?

Thanks much!
Last edited by __Vinz__ on Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

epoch1970

Re: Access point tutorial missing information about bridging?

Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:20 am

I dont think that would be relevant, your device requires the use of a router behind it. (Could be the Pi itself, but in routed setup).
The documentation states clearly the bridge is designed to sit within a LAN, in other words, behind a router.
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

B.Goode

Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:18 am

Does my analysis holds? If so, do you think a pull request to add that to the master page would be relevant?

If you think you have identified an error or omission in the documentation and have prepared an alternative version that rectifies the matter, why not simply raise an Issue on the relevant GitHub repository page and generate a Pull Request linked to your solution. That will open the opportunity of a discussion with the documentation maintainers.

[A Pull Request offers your efforts as a solution to a problem you have identified: it isn't a way of saying "you should fix this (but I don't know how)..." ]

drgeoff

Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:51 pm

epoch1970 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:20 am
I dont think that would be relevant, your device requires the use of a router behind it. (Could be the Pi itself, but in routed setup).
The documentation states clearly the bridge is designed to sit within a LAN, in other words, behind a router.
+1

You need NAT router functionality between the modem and multiple devices.

Return to “Networking and servers”