FPSychotic
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:21 pm

I cannot install ROS kinetic in RPI4, Did somebody get it?

Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:48 pm

No way to install ROS Kinetic with OpenCV in RPi4, I followed the official guide, from a fresh install, with swap, with -j1,-j2...
Did somebody get install Kinetic with openCV?
i got install OpenCV 4.1 sucessfully, but I cannot with the Kinetic version. To ROS Kinetic recognize OpenCV 4.1 or any standalone version is crezy difficult get it if you are not mastered in Linux and there is not a specific guide for RPi4 or 3 at least I couldnt find it.

^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
make[2]: *** [modules/python3/CMakeFiles/opencv_python3.dir/build.make:63: modules/python3/CMakeFiles/opencv_python3.dir/__/src2/cv2.cpp.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:8425: modules/python3/CMakeFiles/opencv_python3.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [Makefile:163: all] Error 2
<== Failed to process package 'opencv3':
Command '['/opt/ros/kinetic/env.sh', 'make', '-j1']' returned non-zero exit status 2

Reproduce this error by running:
==> cd /home/pi/ros_catkin_ws/build_isolated/opencv3 && /opt/ros/kinetic/env.sh make -j1

Command failed, exiting.

in some place I read a similar issue by lack of memory, my rpi4 is 4Gb plus 4Gb partition in a SSD and I even built with -j1

FPSychotic
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:21 pm

Re: I cannot install ROS kinetic in RPI4, Did somebody get it?

Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:24 am

I tried install ROS without OPenCV, the robot version instead desktop, other module fail to compile
make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/rospack.dir/build.make:102: CMakeFiles/rospack.dir/src/utils.cpp.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:371: CMakeFiles/rospack.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [Makefile:141: all] Error 2
<== Failed to process package 'rospack':
Command '['/opt/ros/kinetic/env.sh', 'make', '-j4', '-l4']' returned non-zero exit status 2

Reproduce this error by running:
==> cd /home/pi/ros_catkin_ws/build_isolated/rospack && /opt/ros/kinetic/env.sh make -j4 -l4

it is not a problem of my instalation. It is just is not posible install ROS in Raspian in RPi4.
some help or experience similar?

User avatar
Gavinmc42
Posts: 5172
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:31 am

Re: I cannot install ROS kinetic in RPI4, Did somebody get it?

Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:45 am

You might be the first who has tried on a Pi4.
Someone will figure it out the Pi4 is so much better than the 3B+ or 3A+.

Compiling the big stuff you might need to increase swap file size?
Have not checked in Buster but it is normally 100MB, changing it to 1GB has helped me before.

You can also make more room by turning the desktop off and running command line.
Perhaps try with the Lite version of Buster first?
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

User avatar
DavidS
Posts: 4334
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:39 am
Location: USA
Contact: Website

Re: I cannot install ROS kinetic in RPI4, Did somebody get it?

Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:23 pm

What, confused. ROS (RISC OS, as from RISC OS ltd, the 26-bit R15 versions) is not available on the RPi. And I do not understand what the rest of what you are saying.

Kinetic was a RISC OS based computer, not sure if it was ever made.

What am I missing about what you are talking about? And why do people give Linux releated replies to a ROS question?
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

User avatar
davidcoton
Posts: 5875
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:37 pm
Location: Cambridge, UK
Contact: Website

Re: I cannot install ROS kinetic in RPI4, Did somebody get it?

Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:48 pm

DavidS wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:23 pm
What, confused. ROS (RISC OS, as from RISC OS ltd, the 26-bit R15 versions) is not available on the RPi. And I do not understand what the rest of what you are saying.

Kinetic was a RISC OS based computer, not sure if it was ever made.

What am I missing about what you are talking about? And why do people give Linux releated replies to a ROS question?
Take your RISC blinkers off, if you search "ROS Kinetic" you would find that ROS = Robot Operating System. Kinetic is a release thereof. Linux related replies are entirely appropriate.
Location: 345th cell on the right of the 210th row of L2 cache

User avatar
DavidS
Posts: 4334
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:39 am
Location: USA
Contact: Website

Re: I cannot install ROS kinetic in RPI4, Did somebody get it?

Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:18 pm

davidcoton wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:48 pm
DavidS wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:23 pm
What, confused. ROS (RISC OS, as from RISC OS ltd, the 26-bit R15 versions) is not available on the RPi. And I do not understand what the rest of what you are saying.

Kinetic was a RISC OS based computer, not sure if it was ever made.

What am I missing about what you are talking about? And why do people give Linux releated replies to a ROS question?
Take your RISC blinkers off, if you search "ROS Kinetic" you would find that ROS = Robot Operating System. Kinetic is a release thereof. Linux related replies are entirely appropriate.
Ok my appologies. Confusing when a new product reuses the naming convention of an already existing product, my fault.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

User avatar
Gavinmc42
Posts: 5172
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:31 am

Re: I cannot install ROS kinetic in RPI4, Did somebody get it?

Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:06 am

ROS is big bloaty piece of Robotics software only a Uni professor can love and students hate.
I tried it back in Pi B days, well because I did a Robotics Diploma ;)
Need another degree in Computer Science to get it working.

But Pi4A, hmm, will it be good enough to run it?
When I get a 4B4 that will be my Desktop and this 4B1 may get ROS shoved on it.
I will add it to the list of things to try with a 4 now
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

Stigma
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:57 pm

Re: I cannot install ROS kinetic in RPI4, Did somebody get it?

Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:30 pm

FPSychotic wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:24 am
I tried install ROS without OPenCV, the robot version instead desktop, other module fail to compile
make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/rospack.dir/build.make:102: CMakeFiles/rospack.dir/src/utils.cpp.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:371: CMakeFiles/rospack.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [Makefile:141: all] Error 2
<== Failed to process package 'rospack':
Command '['/opt/ros/kinetic/env.sh', 'make', '-j4', '-l4']' returned non-zero exit status 2

Reproduce this error by running:
==> cd /home/pi/ros_catkin_ws/build_isolated/rospack && /opt/ros/kinetic/env.sh make -j4 -l4

it is not a problem of my instalation. It is just is not posible install ROS in Raspian in RPi4.
some help or experience similar?

That's pretty much where I am at as well. I followed the official instructions on the website: http://wiki.ros.org/ROSberryPi/Installi ... berry%20Pi

It says it's for Raspberry Pi 4 as well as 3, but I feel like whoever wrote this assumed it would just work on Pi 4 without actually running it themselves.

I followed the instructions and ran into the boost 1.58 error during the compiling and eventually got past that by manually installing various libboost packages myself. Then I get hit with the rospack error and I couldn't find anything on how to get pass that one. There are now prebuilt and semi prebuilt images available for Kinetic/Melodic on Pi 4, but each have their own caveats of issues since they are all work around methods with still no official support from ROS.

tonyc
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:15 am

Re: I cannot install ROS kinetic in RPI4, Did somebody get it?

Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:26 am

tl;dr Solution is https://github.com/opencv/opencv/issu...

If you follow the instruction to rebuild it (although you might need to "cd /home/pi/ros_catkin_ws/build_isolated/opencv3/install", not just ".../opencv3"), and if you make the terminal rollback long enough, you can see the actual error message, which is the same as that mentioned in the link above.

MCmobil
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:48 am

Re: I cannot install ROS kinetic in RPI4, Did somebody get it?

Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:51 am

tonyc wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:26 am
tl;dr Solution is https://github.com/opencv/opencv/issu...

If you follow the instruction to rebuild it (although you might need to "cd /home/pi/ros_catkin_ws/build_isolated/opencv3/install", not just ".../opencv3"), and if you make the terminal rollback long enough, you can see the actual error message, which is the same as that mentioned in the link above.
Hi tonyc,

I may highly think that your link is the holy grail for me. Therefore it has been cut, so I can not reach the github page.
Can you send it again please?

MCmobil
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:48 am

Re: I cannot install ROS kinetic in RPI4, Did somebody get it?

Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:17 am

Forget it, found=> https://github.com/opencv/opencv/issues/14856

But still it didn't work, apparently an official ROS kinetic isn't released for RP4...?
I followed the instructions given by the official ROS installation => http://wiki.ros.org/ROSberryPi/Installi ... berry%20Pi
And before building the catkin workspace I have followed instructions here => https://www.instructables.com/id/Instal ... n-Raspber/

I think this is not the best idea to go into source code (especially the part to change the time to accept only int, that means you can go under the millisecond for processing), at least it works but I would prefer an official release.

Tell me your thoughts about it!

User avatar
Gavinmc42
Posts: 5172
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:31 am

Re: I cannot install ROS kinetic in RPI4, Did somebody get it?

Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:30 am

There was a new Pi Debian 64 bit came out today, it might play nicer with ROS?
Had a quick look at ROS, still looks like mess.
Is ROS only going to work on Stretch not Buster.?

Gazebo looks interesting but Nvidia card :(

I did get Opecv 4.1 installed on my Gentoo64 Pi, can ROS use it.
too much messing about installing ROS on Gentoo64?
Might have to try today's new Debian 64 release.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

MCmobil
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:48 am

Re: I cannot install ROS kinetic in RPI4, Did somebody get it?

Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:39 am

There was a new Pi Debian 64 bit came out today, it might play nicer with ROS?
Had a quick look at ROS, still looks like mess.
Is ROS only going to work on Stretch not Buster.?
I will make few tries before using the one I got, I will see to upgrade but don't really want for now to change again everything on my Raspberry...
But apparently it is supposed to work on Buster according to the standard installation guide: http://wiki.ros.org/ROSberryPi/Installi ... berry%20Pi

But following the link I have put it has fixed OpenCV3 compile errors and others!
Therefore, I am still facing another issue, with qt gui:
==> Processing catkin package: 'qt_gui_cpp'
==> Building with env: '/opt/ros/kinetic/env.sh' Makefile exists, skipping explicit cmake invocation...
==> make cmake_check_build_system in '/home/pi/ros_catkin_ws/build_isolated/qt_gui_cpp'
==> make -j4 -l4 in '/home/pi/ros_catkin_ws/build_isolated/qt_gui_cpp'
[ 83%] Built target qt_gui_cpp
[ 88%] Compiling generated code for qt_gui_cpp_sip Python bindings...
make[3]: warning: jobserver unavailable: using -j1. Add '+' to parent make rule.
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lcatkin::rosconsole::wrapped-linker-option0
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lcatkin::rostime::wrapped-linker-option0 collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: * [Makefile:38: "/home/pi/ros_catkin_ws/devel_isolated/qt_gui_cpp/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/qt_gui_cpp/libqt_gui_cpp_sip".so] Error 1
make[2]: *[src/qt_gui_cpp_sip/CMakeFiles/libqt_gui_cpp_sip.dir/build.make:61: /home/pi/ros_catkin_ws/devel_isolated/qt_gui_cpp/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/qt_gui_cpp/libqt_gui_cpp_sip.so] Error 2
make[1]: * [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:566: src/qt_gui_cpp_sip/CMakeFiles/libqt_gui_cpp_sip.dir/all] Error 2
make: * [Makefile:141: all] Error 2
<== Failed to process package 'qt_gui_cpp': Command '['/opt/ros/kinetic/env.sh', 'make', '-j4', '-l4']' returned non-zero exit status 2

Reproduce this error by running:
==> cd /home/pi/ros_catkin_ws/build_isolated/qt_gui_cpp && /opt/ros/kinetic/env.sh make -j4 -l4

Command failed, exiting.
Kept looking for it, even removed ROS to attempt a clean install, go back to the same....

MCmobil
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:48 am

Re: I cannot install ROS kinetic in RPI4, Did somebody get it?

Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:32 am

Resolved! I have deleted the "qt_gui_cpp" package an downloaded it from git. the one downloaded had many errors, having changed the whole package allow me to build the workspace.

wansnap
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:37 pm

Re: I cannot install ROS kinetic in RPI4, Did somebody get it?

Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:40 pm

I have successfully installed the ROS Kinetic on Raspberry Pi 4.

You may refer to this link:
https://github.com/KhairulIzwan/kineticPi.git

Thanks!

User avatar
Gavinmc42
Posts: 5172
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:31 am

Re: I cannot install ROS kinetic in RPI4, Did somebody get it?

Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:23 am

Well done.
One more thing that can be ticked off the list of things to check on Pi4's.

You might want to have a look at the new OpenVX, saw it in the Pi blog.
OpenCV scares me, like ROS it is big and takes a lot of learning ;)
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

cosmicone
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:27 am

Re: I cannot install ROS kinetic in RPI4, Did somebody get it?

Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:30 am

wansnap wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:40 pm
I have successfully installed the ROS Kinetic on Raspberry Pi 4.

You may refer to this link:
https://github.com/KhairulIzwan/kineticPi.git

Thanks!
Used your script but still getting

/home/pi/ros_catkin_ws/external_src/assimp-3.1.1/include/assimp/./Compiler/xxxxxxxxx.h:32:61: warning: ‘gcc_struct’ attribute directive ignored [-Wattributes] warnings -- some 700 of them. Will that affect the installation of ROS?

cosmicone
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:27 am

Re: I cannot install ROS kinetic in RPI4, Did somebody get it?

Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:27 pm

wansnap wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:40 pm
I have successfully installed the ROS Kinetic on Raspberry Pi 4.

You may refer to this link:
https://github.com/KhairulIzwan/kineticPi.git

Thanks!
After the warnings, the installation failed

CMake Error at cmake/empy.cmake:29 (message):
Unable to find either executable 'empy' or Python module 'em'... try
installing the package 'python-empy'
-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also "/home/pi/ros_catkin_ws/build_isolated/catkin/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
<== Failed to process package 'catkin':
Command '['cmake', '/home/pi/ros_catkin_ws/src/catkin', '-DCATKIN_DEVEL_PREFIX=/home/pi/ros_catkin_ws/devel_isolated/catkin', '-DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/opt/ros/kinetic', '-DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release', '-G', 'Unix Makefiles']' returned non-zero exit status 1

Reproduce this error by running:
==> cd /home/pi/ros_catkin_ws/build_isolated/catkin && cmake /home/pi/ros_catkin_ws/src/catkin -DCATKIN_DEVEL_PREFIX=/home/pi/ros_catkin_ws/devel_isolated/catkin -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/opt/ros/kinetic -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -G 'Unix Makefiles'

Command failed, exiting.

Source the new ROS installation
./installROSkineticPi.sh: line 59: /opt/ros/kinetic/setup.bash: No such file or directory
Installation complete!

ryanfogle98
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:07 pm

Re: I cannot install ROS kinetic in RPI4, Did somebody get it?

Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:12 pm

MCmobil wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:17 am
Forget it, found=> https://github.com/opencv/opencv/issues/14856

But still it didn't work, apparently an official ROS kinetic isn't released for RP4...?
I followed the instructions given by the official ROS installation => http://wiki.ros.org/ROSberryPi/Installi ... berry%20Pi
And before building the catkin workspace I have followed instructions here => https://www.instructables.com/id/Instal ... n-Raspber/

I think this is not the best idea to go into source code (especially the part to change the time to accept only int, that means you can go under the millisecond for processing), at least it works but I would prefer an official release.

Tell me your thoughts about it!

This worked! Took a while though to bounce through the files to fix. For others go to Step three in the guide https://www.instructables.com/id/Instal ... n-Raspber/.

Return to “General discussion”