Captain-Pie

Pi Wi-Fi access point with FTP site running in a self-contained network.

Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:17 pm

Hi, I have used/own the original Raspberry Pi 1 some years ago but never had a project for it. So I’m still a beginner in the Linux world.

I’m using an Amcrest camera which I don’t want running on my home network. (not sure but it appears to be talking to the outside world, which I don’t want.)

I would like to use my Raspberry Pi 3 Model B as a Wi-Fi access point and FTP file location, the Amcrest Camera Image’s & video files are sent via Wi-Fi to the FTP site also running on same PI 3. The Pi will not be connected to the Internet, it will run in a self-contained network.

I would use a laptop to connect to Pi’s Wi-Fi to view any images or Videos footage the camera has taken and sent to FTP site.

I just need to know what software I would need to make it possible. And would I run it all from the native Raspbian OS distribution, or is there a more suitable Linux distribution OS for this task.

Thanks for any help.

epoch1970

Re: Pi Wi-Fi access point with FTP site running in a self-contained network.

Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:43 pm

Follow the 1st part of this document.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... s-point.md

You'll need to add an FTP server to the mix. I suggest you start w/ the AP setup and then come back to the FTP part.
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

Captain-Pie

Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:24 pm

Thanks for the link. I'll read it tonight and make a start on it later this week.

Captain-Pie

Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:10 pm

I'm having some problems with the first part after installing hostapd I get the error :
Job for hostapd.service failed because the control process exited with an error code. See "systemctl status hostapd.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
It then creates symlink /etc/systemd/system/hostapd.service /dev/null.

I decided to follow the rest of the guide until I got to the hostapd and I got as far as
Sudo systemctl start hostapd
after which I get exactly the same error as a above.

How do I fix this?

epoch1970

Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:42 pm

The guide specifies 3 commands:

Code: Select all

sudo systemctl unmask hostapd
sudo systemctl enable hostapd
sudo systemctl start hostapd
The error you report could suggest you missed the "unmask" or perhaps "enable" ones?
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

Captain-Pie

Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:54 pm

I've typed the three commands again and I still get the same error.

sudo systemctl unmask hostapd
sudo systemctl enable hostapd
sudo systemctl start hostapd

Captain-Pie

Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:30 am

I decided to try this again, and used raspbian-stretch rather than buster version.
I don’t know if it was the OS version or a typo but it’s now working. (both my laptop and phone can connect to it.)
I’m now back and ready to move to FTP part. Any suggestion on how setup the next step?

Andyroo

Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:47 am

Simplest FTP site set up I know is nicely documented https://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/2018/ ... pberry-pi/
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

Captain-Pie

Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:44 am

Oh dear maybe I should have setup FTP first as I’ve lost the Ethernet connection to the internet.
I believe configuring the static IP using dhcpcd has done this?

Anyway to segregate the Ethernet connection so it can still connect to my router’s internet connection? Or should I start again?

Or is it possible to get packages off the internet using my windows laptop or my mac-mini and copy it to a usb drive to my Pi, would anyone know the links I would need?

Return to “Networking and servers”