echmain

Re: When are people in the U.S. getting their Pi 4s?

Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:07 am

Adafruit had some stock of the Pi4/4 today.

But a few hours later...gone.

"They're flying off the shelves" is almost literally true.

alphanumeric

Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:15 am

Timing is everything if you want a specific model like the 4 gig. What time zone you live in can help or hurt you. I'm in Canada and an early riser. I'm usually up at 5 AM and logged on to the internet checking my e-mail. I'm ahead as far as the UK goes and on par with most of the US. I'm on the east cost.

davidcoton

Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:26 am

echmain wrote:
"They're flying off the shelves" is almost literally true.
That's taking "flight mode" a bit far. :lol:
Signature retired

HawaiianPi

Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:42 am

echmain wrote:
Adafruit had some stock of the Pi4/4 today.
NOOOOO!!! How did I miss that? I signed up for back in stock notification, but I didn't get an email :!: :?:

Me ^ refreshing Adafruit web page until they are back in stock again...
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:24 am

The 4GB model is proving very popular, more so than we expected. The 2GB is the sweet spot for desktop. Or so we thought...
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

rpdom

Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:53 am

jamesh wrote:
The 4GB model is proving very popular, more so than we expected. The 2GB is the sweet spot for desktop. Or so we thought...
People will usually go for the highest spec they can afford/get :)

My 4GB is currently running headless.

W. H. Heydt

Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:44 pm

jamesh wrote:
I wouldn't panic about the product mix just yet. There are probably a couple of factors in play. The first being that you are seeing a lot of sales to enthusiast early adopters. If they can afford it (and it's not like an extra $10 to $20 will break the bank for most people, especially if they've already got a bunch of Pis), they're more likely to go for "the top of the line". Secondly, they're selling to reasonably knowledgeable people who will pick their Pis based on intended use. I have one Pi4B4 so far to use as a test bed for the back office portion of my convention registration system. 4GB is probably overkill, but it will allow for expected growth. I have places where I think 1GB is plenty, and I have one of those so far, and I *may* get 6 to 8 more if I decide to use it in a particular way. I also have uses (such as general computer use for my 11-year-old grandson) for a 2GB model (which is in transit at this point).

gtechn

Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:03 pm

I personally don't have many "long-term" uses of the Pi. I just experiment a lot. And because I might use the same Pi for a variety of experiments, I always order what is top-of-the-line. (I don't have any Model As for this reason). I'm sure I'm not alone.

rpdom

Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:11 pm

gtechn wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:03 pm
I personally don't have many "long-term" uses of the Pi. I just experiment a lot. And because I might use the same Pi for a variety of experiments, I always order what is top-of-the-line. (I don't have any Model As for this reason). I'm sure I'm not alone.
Budget reasons meant I haven't always been able to afford the top model. I do have a Model A that has been in continuous use for a few years, also a couple of Zeroes that have been in constant use. One of them has just over a year of uptime now. I had a lot of trouble justifying getting the 4B, but I was unable to resist.

W. H. Heydt

Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:20 pm

rpdom wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:11 pm
I had a lot of trouble justifying getting the 4B, but I was unable to resist.
Well... We all know that resistance is futile...

HawaiianPi

Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:23 pm

jamesh wrote:
My Newark order from launch day (June 24) just had the ship date pushed back again. Originally July 5, now July 22. At this point I no longer believe them and don't expect to get a 4GB from them for months ("more so than we expected" is an epic understatement).

W. H. Heydt

Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:36 pm

HawaiianPi wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:23 pm
jamesh wrote:
My Newark order from launch day (June 24) just had the ship date pushed back again. Originally July 5, now July 22. At this point I no longer believe them and don't expect to get a 4GB from them for months ("more so than we expected" is an epic understatement).
Heh... I ordered a CM3L+ from them on 15 April. Last I saw, there were talking about shipping it in September.

HawaiianPi

Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:55 pm

jamesh wrote:
... The 2GB is the sweet spot for desktop. Or so we thought...
Honestly, for me, the 2GB is the least desirable model. I only got one because it was all I could get. The 1GB seems useful for light tasks I have the 3B(+) doing now, but with better software and network performance. The 4GB is the best value for RAM, so that's my choice for "desktop" or heavier server use.

The 2 GB seems like the in-between "Jack of all trades; master of none" model. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But then again, I've never been accused of being normal (which I take as a compliment). :mrgreen:

W. H. Heydt

Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:16 pm

HawaiianPi wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:55 pm
But then again, I've never been accused of being normal (which I take as a compliment). :mrgreen:
Around here I suspect that "not normal"...is normal.

(After I'd been a student a UC Berkeley for a while, I used to describe the place as containing 27,500 high school misfits.)

Jimblob64

Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:20 pm

I got lucky with my 4 GB one. On June 26, signed up for email notifications when any came back in stock at the four authorized resellers. July 2, Pimoroni suddenly had one, and it arrived in the mail by the 12th.

Hopefully others got lucky as well.
RPi 4B w/ Buster in a toasty little official case, and an RPi 3B w/ Stretch.

travisfarmer

Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:03 pm

i pre-ordered a Rpi4B4 Complete Starter Kit, from CanaKit, on July 1st, and it is stated as possibly shipping by August 1st. no emails yet, other than the order confirmation, and the website still says "Pending"...
i am sure it will ship eventually, but i hope i get it before the Rpi5 comes out :lol:

~Travis
Most of my electronics/programming experience is in Arduino, but i am learning Rpi to broaden my projects capabilities.

cspan

Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:03 pm

jamesh wrote:
Just curious why you thought that ... I'm with HawaiianPi and maybe some others in thinking that the model with 4 GB RAM would be the sweet spot for desktop performance (from my POV, because of what the web has become ... ugh). Were you by chance thinking of price/performance ratio? That's about the only reason I can think of a different sweet spot, particularly if the performance in question did not hinge on the browsing or streaming experience.

I can think of the Pi0W as a sweet spot for certain uses, where compactness and low power draw are valued over processing speed. Once you're in that form factor like the 3B and so forth (ethernet plus bank of USB), then I would think speed (in its various forms) and price would dominate the considerations (ignoring heat that is).

cheers

MisterEd

Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:07 pm

travisfarmer wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:03 pm
i pre-ordered a Rpi4B4 Complete Starter Kit, from CanaKit, on July 1st, and it is stated as possibly shipping by August 1st. no emails yet, other than the order confirmation, and the website still says "Pending"...
i am sure it will ship eventually, but i hope i get it before the Rpi5 comes out :lol:

~Travis
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I have been following the status of CanaKit shipment dates.
Pi 4 4GB Complete Starter Kit - 32GB
Aug 1 > Jul 31 > Aug 15

I feel your pain. I placed my order the same day the RPi 4 was released (June 24). I am holding my breath my order will be shipped Friday 19th
Pi 4 4GB Starter Kit - 32GB
Aug 1 > Jul 11 > Jul 15 > Jul 19

BTW, I realize you were being sarcastic but I don't expect the RPi 5 to come out until maybe 2021 at the earliest.
However, if some of the complaints I have seen are hardware based then maybe we might see a RPi 4 revision release before this time next year.
Also, if any defects can be fixed with firmware I expect to see firmware updates in the next few months.
Last edited by MisterEd on Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

travisfarmer

Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:11 pm

MisterEd wrote: I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I have been following the status of CanaKit shipment dates.
Pi 4 4GB Complete Starter Kit - 32GB
Aug 1 > Jul 31 > Aug 15

I feel your pain. I placed my order the same day the RPi 4 was released (June 24). I am holding my breath my order will be shipped Friday 19th
Pi 4 4GB Starter Kit - 32GB
Aug 1 > Jul 11 > Jul 15 > Jul 19
Hmmm, good thing i have other projects to work on while i wait... :(

~Travis
Most of my electronics/programming experience is in Arduino, but i am learning Rpi to broaden my projects capabilities.

W. H. Heydt

Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:09 pm

MisterEd wrote:
BTW, I realize you were being sarcastic but I don't expect the RPi 5 to come out until maybe 2021 at the earliest.
Agreed. Depending just what the next Pi entails, it could easily be 2022 or 2023.
However, if some of the complaints I have seen are hardware based then maybe we might see a RPi 4 revision release before this time next year.
Also, if any defects can be fixed with firmware I expect to see firmware updates in the next few months.
I would expect some firmware updates fairly soon, such as within a few weeks, with some anticipated features--such as USB booting--to take more like 6 months or so. I would also expect a minor board revision (which might be launched with no announcement, just as the Pi2Bv1.2 was) to fix the USB-C issue in something on the order of 6 months.

Fortunately, because the EEPROM can be updated, it will be possible to go through more than one interation of any significant change. In the case of USB booting, we may see update cycles as SATA bridges are discovered that don't play well with the firmware, prompting additional changes.

trejan

Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:55 pm

There was a post yesterday in a different thread that gave a rough timeline for network and USB boot.
gsh wrote: Probably around another two or three weeks for Ethernet booting, another month for USB flash booting

W. H. Heydt

Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:37 pm

trejan wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:55 pm
There was a post yesterday in a different thread that gave a rough timeline for network and USB boot.
gsh wrote: Probably around another two or three weeks for Ethernet booting, another month for USB flash booting
Since firmware is programming, one should apply the basic rule of programming schedules: The first 90% of the effort takes the first 90% of the time. The other 10% of the effort takes the other 90% of the time.

thrustpork

Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:58 pm

I live in the US and bought my pi from Okdo a little over a week ago, upgraded shipping and got it in two days. Also, I got the 4gb model to be used as a desktop computer, and after heavy usage over the past week, I haven't come close to needed the extra ram. I'd say don't be scared to order from the UK and if you catch the 2gb model, I think it would work more than fine for most needs.

HawaiianPi

Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:07 am

MisterEd wrote:
There already is a new Raspbian image up to fix some early software issues (2019-07-10-raspbian-buster.zip). Firmware may take a bit more time for things like Net-boot and USB boot.

The USB-C power issue is little more than a minor annoyance that people are blowing way out of proportion with clickbait articles. There are several ways to work-around or avoid the problem (the simplest of which is to buy the very inexpensive official power supply). It's particularly funny when the articles tell you to buy a new cable to fix your old charger, and the cable costs more than the official PSU.

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:37 pm
Since firmware is programming, one should apply the basic rule of programming schedules: The first 90% of the effort takes the first 90% of the time. The other 10% of the effort takes the other 90% of the time.
Yup. What's that old programmer's song? You sing it to the tune of 99 bottles, and it's something like 99 little bugs in the code, take one down, patch it around... 105 little bugs in the code.

You can set deadlines for software, but you can't actually predict when it will be finished (and if that makes no sense to you, the old saying, there's never time to do it right, but there's always time to do it over, may help).

ruslan.tulupov

Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:38 am

I bought mine from Vilros.
1x1GB model
1x2GB model
1x official USB C power supply

Received them within a few days.
YouTube Channel: Ruslan Tulupov
Raspberry Pi Projects
Apple Hacks

Return to “General discussion”