highdesert50

STEM IoT Resilience Lesson

Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:23 pm

STEM exercise using Node-RED to explore the Internet of Things (IoT), resilience, and social support. Resilience is the development of skills needed to manage stress in an optimal way and helps buffer individuals from the development of suicidality. The World Health Organization (WHO) advocates for resilience at individual and community levels by recognizing the role of protective factors relative to suicide risk factors. Protective factors include the development of social support systems, positive coping skills, good self-esteem, self-efficacy and effective problem-solving skills. To further the concept of social support systems, this learning uses technology to illustrate the development of a social support system through visual programming objects, Node-RED. These objects are used to construct an application that allows a person to contact members of that person’s social support system using IoT. By understanding the roles that programming objects play to create a system, the person also recognizes the distinct roles people play within support systems and the importance of communication with people. This exercise has been used at the 8th grade level.
https://github.com/HighDesert50/STEM-IoT-Resilience

highdesert50

Re: STEM IoT Resilience Lesson

Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:12 pm

I had several requests for additional support materials for the resilience and IoT STEM exercise. First, I do need to apologize for my lack of presentation and videography skills. I am, however, attaching a YouTube playlist I put together with regard to resilience-oriented STEM materials designed for 8th graders and up. The first two YouTubes (about 12 minutes) in the playlist present the resilience and social support component and are more oriented to instructors. The last three, oriented to the students, focus on the resilience and IoT STEM component.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt0cIol ... -F&index=5

Return to “Teaching and learning resources”