classico

Raspberry Pi 4 as a NAS or personal cloud server?

Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:17 am

In the past there have been some issues with Pi as a NAS. Thinking of the slow nic/usb sharing the same usb bus, and the max bus speed of the USB 2 ports. To make things worse nic and usb was on the same bus. Result, slow IO.

This seems to have changed with the Pi 4. Fast nic 1GB and new USB 3 ports. Seems like a pi nas could be a decent fast solution now.

For automation of back up to nas I am thinking rsync and cron. Set it and forget it. Backups are incremental so less traffic after initial backup is completed. For this project I imagine the Pi would have to double as a NAS/fileserver/plex server/media streamer.

And I should have access to all my files also outside my home, if I tunnel in via SSH.

What do you think, will Pi 4 be fast enough so that is worth sinking money into such a solution? Or will speed and performance be too slow to make such a network storage practical?

Andyroo

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 as a NAS or personal cloud server?

Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:26 am

A lot will depend on your use case.

I’ve run a NAS on a Pi 3B+ happily to slow HDD and even run SAMBA on Pi Zero W boxes for development and small transfers but my main NAS is a beefy Synology due to the file sizes and number of them in an upload / move. My wife is worse than I as she can generate 3K files in a couple of days in worst case.

Given the cost of the Pi, try it and if it works great. If not turn it into a VPN, Media and Pi-Hole server :lol:

binaryhermit

Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:42 am

I actually use a 3B+ with usb hd as a NAS connected over wifi, for my needs, which aren't many random accesses or anything like that, it's fine.

classico

Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:37 pm

Andyroo wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:26 am
A lot will depend on your use case.

I’ve run a NAS on a Pi 3B+ happily to slow HDD and even run SAMBA on Pi Zero W boxes for development and small transfers but my main NAS is a beefy Synology due to the file sizes and number of them in an upload / move. My wife is worse than I as she can generate 3K files in a couple of days in worst case.

Given the cost of the Pi, try it and if it works great. If not turn it into a VPN, Media and Pi-Hole server :lol:
Yeah thing is I am pretty much covered in all other areas then a NAS and a media server. As I read more about the Pi 4 it seems 4K @60 Hz is not possible. So that kind of sinks the value of Pi as a media server for me. It could be an ad hoc media server but not the main - that big 4K TV on the wall needs 4K content for optimal picture. Pi hole equivalent is already in the firewall, same for VPN. So I need to have something solid to put on the Pi 4, otherwise it ends up like a overkill project in charge of watering my very few plants. And for that task I could use the cheapest Pi :D

It's no big deal, really. I can hold back the NAS idea until Pi 5 rolls out with M.2 + sata included or get another SBC with more buses and ports. I've I go up in specs and price, well more of a one-box-does-it-all-unit it will become.

I guess mostly I was so excited I finally found a shop that that had Pi 4 * 4GB that I was considering ordering another one just because of the new specs. I might stop the spending and work out the #1 Pi 4 projects on the agenda first. A Pi 4 digital audio workstation. When that is completed I will know more about the the through put, possible limitations and what to expect.

LTolledo

Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:41 pm

Am actually using a RPi2B v1.2 as a NAS, mirroring my RAID1 NAS
some discussions about it on this thread
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 9&t=244016

aside from mirroring the RAID1 NAS, a particular directory of that mirrored NAS is also shared to the network, from which I can access via Kodi, Volumio, and just recently by VLC ( in Raspbian Desktop)

even a RPi1B+ with USB GbE LAN adapter, 5v 2.4A PSU and 2TB 2.5" WD HDD in Orico HDD case-adapter did perform well as a NAS.

Once one of my RPi4B arrives, it will become a NAS server for my HDD cluster.....(prior RPi models cannot handle more than 6 drives)
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

Adiq

Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:49 am

Could you share your performance with RPi 4 as NAS?
I have external HDD formatted in EXT4 connected with USB 3, 1Gbps ethernet connection, Samba server, NFS server and Windows 10 client. There's also Kubernetes cluster, that uses constantly some CPU, but iotop doesn't show any significant IO from containers.
Fresh after reboot, I can achieve up to 50-110MB/s read transfer, but after few hours it drops to ~20MB/s. I checked it with Samba and NFS, tried to fine-tune Samba and changed ionice, but with no luck.

jura_kol

Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:20 pm

Hi all,
concerning RPI use-case for backups of another NAS (non-raid), I'm using Duplicati on RPI-3, installed as described here: https://forum.duplicati.com/t/help-with ... rry-pi/397.
+ Has "snapshots" so should protect from unwanted changes (malware on PC)
+ Nice GUI over HTTP
+ Support for scheduling and filtering of files
+ Reporting of status and other features...
- I'm receiving warnings for above 700MB volumes, it seems that it has some memory size dependence (on RPI-1 it was on for ~300MB, I will try with RPI-4 when I will have it)
- initial backup is VERY slow, next syncs just ~5 minutes

fabouille

Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:51 am

Hi,

I finally made the jump and setup my home DIY Nas using the Pi 4 with 2 GB of RAM.

Previous setup
WD My Cloud 3TB (the software was so bad). One additional 1.5TB HDD connected to the USB connector.
Apple Time Capsule 2TB (from 2009).

New setup
Raspberry Pi 4 2GB with original USB-C power supply, Pi case.
Hotway HF2-SU3S2 Non RAID 4 bays 3.5 HDD SATA to USB3.0 enclosure (http://www.hotway.com.tw/portfolio/port ... hf2-su3s2/)
-> Installed 1 new 6TB WD Red. Moved the date from WD My Cloud to this drive (and it passed away after moving 80% of the data so it was time to change). Bay 1.
-> Installed 1 new 4TB WD Red. Moved the data from the 1.5TB HDD. Bay 3.
The 1.5TB HDD will go to rest in a storage room soon.
-> Took out the 2TB HDD from the time capsule and installed it to Bay 4.
-> Bay 2 remains available for a second 6 TB I will buy later.
-> One 16 GB SanDisk MicroSD for the operating system.

Software
OpenMediaVault 4.1.25
Services enabled: AFP (Netatalk) emulating an Xserve on the network, SSH, FTP, Plex, Transmission, Time Machine for macOS (this is a feature many NAS lack today but is very well implemented on OMV).
Memory usage: So far after 2 weeks, it never exceeded 20%.
CPU Temp: 71º (I am considering changing the case and use a larger heatsink with a fan).
Read/Write Speeds: 95.4 MB/s and 80.3 MB/s respectively (Blackmagic Speed Test)

Pros
Ability to update the software and replace the RPi board for a newer one when relevant or needed.
OpenMediaVault is a fantastic low power piece of OS that has everything you need to run a NAS.
Low power compared to an Intel ATX/ITX based DIY NAS.
Great software support and available community.
Cheaper than an equivalent NAS.

Cons
No RAID support on RPi via USB (because USB is not very stable).
If RAID is needed, the Hotway enclosure listed above has a RAID version.
Takes more time to setup and troubleshoot and UI is not as user friendly as lets say Synology DSM.
For 4K transcoding, a Pi 4 is not powerful enough (to my knowledge).

Cost analysis
Total: $490
Pi+Power supply+Case+Heatsink: $85
Hotway enclosure: $115
WD Red 6TB: $178
WD Red 4TB: $112

--> A Synology DS418 which would be the closest in terms of specification (ARM based Quad-core chip with 2GB of RAM) cost on Amazon about $359. DIY cost $200. It's a $159 saving that can cover one of the drive's cost.

Conclusion
So far I am very pleased as the solution covers my needs. I prefer this over an off the shelf NAS because of the software support in the long term and the ability to simply replace the Pi to something newer or beefier I need to. The Pi 4 can be repurposed as a retro gaming machine or something else and will not be wasted.
An off the shelf NAS will have its life stopped the day the manufacturer doesn't support it anymore...

LTolledo

Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:56 am

this is my newly completed DIY NAS project (with a bit of an update)
RPi4B-2GNAS-topClosed.jpg
RPi4B-2GNAS-topClosed.jpg (182.13 KiB) Viewed 41989 times
contents are as follows:
Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 2GB (will change to 1GB model when available)
with heatsinks and fan (got myself a 30x30 heatsink with embedded 5v fan, installed over SoC)
2 x 8TB 3.5" HDD Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM
SATA to USB 3.0 adapter boards (hacked from Orico HDD enclosures, 12v powered)
in ITX case (L200 x W200 x H90)
Main PSU is single 12V 5A "power brick"
DIY 12v power distribution board supplying HDDs and a buck converter (powers RPi4B with 5.1v)
50x50x15 12v fan for HDD/case cooling, (update: working voltage set to 9v, using another buck converter)
wired GbE LAN connection to network

Raspbian Buster Lite in 8GB microSD card.
Samba (yes, plain old reliable easy-to-setup samba) for file sharing service.
HDDs are EXT4 formatted
simple redundancy using "timed mirroring" (internal HDD mirroring and network mirroring)
RPi4B-2GNAS-topOpen.jpg
RPi4B-2GNAS-topOpen.jpg (201.03 KiB) Viewed 41989 times
RPi4B-2GNAS-RPiside.jpg
RPi4B-2GNAS-RPiside.jpg (211.79 KiB) Viewed 41989 times
total space occupied: L300 x W350 x H100
SoC temp at 38C (idle), 43C (mirroring mode) at ambient 27C

cost me about USD440. (cheapest equivalent 2x8TB NAS model cost USD730 in Amazon) ;)

Some people be like:

LTolledo

Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:24 pm

fabouille wrote:Very neat!
Thanks!

my original idea for the project looked the same as yours...
but pondered upon the space requirement
and the apparent "wiring nightmare" after the build due to the 4 PSU requirement.
an ITX power supply was the first choice, however the need for a dummy load was, for me, a "dumb" idea.
thus I came up and made my own power distribution board.

am pretty much satisfied with the current build, but may have to do some further fine tuning

...and now preparing for my second build this weekend
just completed the DIY power distribution boards
and the other parts are already available...

also am quite astonished by the number of views received by the 3 images since posting.
thanks to those who've found interest in my build!

...would be delighted if somebody emulate my build and post the image here :D

Some people be like:

LTolledo

Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:30 pm

the time I replied to @faboille, the 3 pics had bout 350 views only.
as of this writing its 1090 views.... :shock:

anyway, just wanted to post my latest "upgrade" to the project
aim was to:
1. minimize dust buildup on the RPi4B board SoC side (board top side) by covering it.
2. further improve cooling

thus the challenge was how to incorporate the armor case to the project.
and here it is
RPi4B-2GNAS-armorcaseT.jpg
RPi4B-2GNAS-armorcaseT.jpg (234.3 KiB) Viewed 40896 times
RPi4B-2GNAS-armorcaseS.jpg
RPi4B-2GNAS-armorcaseS.jpg (189.25 KiB) Viewed 40896 times
before armor case, during a 10 minute mirroring, the temp rises to 43C to 45C at ambient of 27C
now the temp only rises to 39C to 40C.
idle temp drops to 35C to 36C (from 38C before)

Some people be like:

LTolledo

Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:12 pm

Wow! too many views! is this real?
NASForumViews.jpg
NASForumViews.jpg (115.33 KiB) Viewed 38147 times

Well anyway just posting probably my final images of my NAS build
and might not be making anymore "improvements" for some time.

RPi4B-2GNAS_top.jpg
RPi4B-2GNAS_top.jpg (253.41 KiB) Viewed 38147 times
So this is the topside inside view of the NAS, as you'll notice I changed the USB cable to the SATA to USB adapter

RPi4B-2GNAS_back1.jpg
RPi4B-2GNAS_back1.jpg (223.33 KiB) Viewed 38147 times
and looking at the back, you'll see it clearly.
also I've installed a LAN coupler so that I'll just plug the LAN cable to this coupler, rather than directly to the RPi4B
which you'll probably notice will be quite a hassle to remove and return back.

with this improvement am able to reduce the NAS space requirement
from 300 x 350 x 100
to 250 x 300 x 100

Some people be like:

LTolledo

Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:20 pm

also I've installed footings on the large fan side to make the NAS stand up on its side
RPi4B-2GNAS_front.jpg
RPi4B-2GNAS_front.jpg (128.31 KiB) Viewed 38140 times
RPi4B-2GNAS_back.jpg
RPi4B-2GNAS_back.jpg (151.92 KiB) Viewed 38140 times

the RPi4B-4G sits on the "top side" in this image (you'll notice it on the back image)
while the case/HDD fan is at the bottom.

with this setup, space requirement is at 100 x 250 x 250 and I can have my second build (already finished) stand together side by side... ;)

Thanks to all who took interest in my RPi4B-2GNAS build...

Hoping to see your version in the near future..... :D
Have fun!

Some people be like:

bommalattam

Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:53 pm

Very nice work @LTolledo

Do you mind telling which case you used. I have been trying to find a small and compact case good enough to fit 2 3.5" HDD. Haven't had much luck yet. Your case looks like it will work for my use case as well.

Please do share.

Thanks

LTolledo

Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:31 pm

Thank you for your interest in my build

Try searching for:

mini-ITX case

(I tried it and got a few good hits..., some direct hits to the same one I used) ;)

Some people be like:

pboh

Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:52 pm

Thank you so much for the detail around your solution and the other examples throughout this thread as well!

I bought a 4B+ 2GB to use as a NAS as well, and after spending some time with OMV and other app-based/ish solutions settled on using native functionality in the OS (SAMBA, mdadm-driven RAID, NFS, etc.) and pushing the complexity to the client side. All this is working out quite nicely (and speedily); however, the aesthetics are terrible.

The only way I could find to get maximum speed out of the USB3.0 ports was to use 4 separate SATA-to-USB adapters, which means I have 4 loose SSDs velcro'd together running to a USB3.0 hub (where, obviously, the Pi is also connected). I know there are many other threads around which enclosures/adapters work well with UAS and which must be used with quirks to use 'usb-storage' instead, so I'll try to avoid the I-used-this-then-that list :). The only price-reasonable 4-bay SATA to USB enclosure I could find was https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0711 ... UTF8&psc=1 (I hope it's ok to post links?). However, I couldn't ever get it enabled with UAS and its performance was far inferior to the four separate drivers/adapters as mentioned above.

In your post, you show a Hotway 4-bay enclosure. I was curious if you would mind confirming it's able to use UAS functionality and perhaps provide any benchmarking? If it's able to make full use of the USB3.0 ports, you've just got them another buyer :) . Also, you mention it's "non RAID". I checked the website and there are RAID versions; however, does this mean hardware RAID vs. software RAID? In other words, would I be able to use the same Hotway you're using and just create RAID with mdadm provided the OS sees JBOD?

Thanks again for this really helpful thread!
fabouille wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:51 am
Hi,

I finally made the jump and setup my home DIY Nas using the Pi 4 with 2 GB of RAM.

Previous setup
WD My Cloud 3TB (the software was so bad). One additional 1.5TB HDD connected to the USB connector.
Apple Time Capsule 2TB (from 2009).

New setup
Raspberry Pi 4 2GB with original USB-C power supply, Pi case.
Hotway HF2-SU3S2 Non RAID 4 bays 3.5 HDD SATA to USB3.0 enclosure (http://www.hotway.com.tw/portfolio/port ... hf2-su3s2/)
-> Installed 1 new 6TB WD Red. Moved the date from WD My Cloud to this drive (and it passed away after moving 80% of the data so it was time to change). Bay 1.
-> Installed 1 new 4TB WD Red. Moved the data from the 1.5TB HDD. Bay 3.
The 1.5TB HDD will go to rest in a storage room soon.
-> Took out the 2TB HDD from the time capsule and installed it to Bay 4.
-> Bay 2 remains available for a second 6 TB I will buy later.
-> One 16 GB SanDisk MicroSD for the operating system.

Software
OpenMediaVault 4.1.25
Services enabled: AFP (Netatalk) emulating an Xserve on the network, SSH, FTP, Plex, Transmission, Time Machine for macOS (this is a feature many NAS lack today but is very well implemented on OMV).
Memory usage: So far after 2 weeks, it never exceeded 20%.
CPU Temp: 71º (I am considering changing the case and use a larger heatsink with a fan).
Read/Write Speeds: 95.4 MB/s and 80.3 MB/s respectively (Blackmagic Speed Test)

Pros
Ability to update the software and replace the RPi board for a newer one when relevant or needed.
OpenMediaVault is a fantastic low power piece of OS that has everything you need to run a NAS.
Low power compared to an Intel ATX/ITX based DIY NAS.
Great software support and available community.
Cheaper than an equivalent NAS.

Cons
No RAID support on RPi via USB (because USB is not very stable).
If RAID is needed, the Hotway enclosure listed above has a RAID version.
Takes more time to setup and troubleshoot and UI is not as user friendly as lets say Synology DSM.
For 4K transcoding, a Pi 4 is not powerful enough (to my knowledge).

Cost analysis
Total: $490
Pi+Power supply+Case+Heatsink: $85
Hotway enclosure: $115
WD Red 6TB: $178
WD Red 4TB: $112

--> A Synology DS418 which would be the closest in terms of specification (ARM based Quad-core chip with 2GB of RAM) cost on Amazon about $359. DIY cost $200. It's a $159 saving that can cover one of the drive's cost.

Conclusion
So far I am very pleased as the solution covers my needs. I prefer this over an off the shelf NAS because of the software support in the long term and the ability to simply replace the Pi to something newer or beefier I need to. The Pi 4 can be repurposed as a retro gaming machine or something else and will not be wasted.
An off the shelf NAS will have its life stopped the day the manufacturer doesn't support it anymore...

fabouille

Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:40 pm

pboh wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:52 pm
Thank you so much for the detail around your solution and the other examples throughout this thread as well!

I bought a 4B+ 2GB to use as a NAS as well, and after spending some time with OMV and other app-based/ish solutions settled on using native functionality in the OS (SAMBA, mdadm-driven RAID, NFS, etc.) and pushing the complexity to the client side. All this is working out quite nicely (and speedily); however, the aesthetics are terrible.

The only way I could find to get maximum speed out of the USB3.0 ports was to use 4 separate SATA-to-USB adapters, which means I have 4 loose SSDs velcro'd together running to a USB3.0 hub (where, obviously, the Pi is also connected). I know there are many other threads around which enclosures/adapters work well with UAS and which must be used with quirks to use 'usb-storage' instead, so I'll try to avoid the I-used-this-then-that list :). The only price-reasonable 4-bay SATA to USB enclosure I could find was https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0711 ... UTF8&psc=1 (I hope it's ok to post links?). However, I couldn't ever get it enabled with UAS and its performance was far inferior to the four separate drivers/adapters as mentioned above.

In your post, you show a Hotway 4-bay enclosure. I was curious if you would mind confirming it's able to use UAS functionality and perhaps provide any benchmarking? If it's able to make full use of the USB3.0 ports, you've just got them another buyer :) . Also, you mention it's "non RAID". I checked the website and there are RAID versions; however, does this mean hardware RAID vs. software RAID? In other words, would I be able to use the same Hotway you're using and just create RAID with mdadm provided the OS sees JBOD?

Thanks again for this really helpful thread!
Hello,

You are welcomed. I hope my experience will benefit other users too.

Are you using 10 Gbps lan?

1) Performance
My Hotway enclosure doesn't seem to be using the UAS driver. It is showing up in the terminal using the usb-storage driver.
- In terms of performance, I just tried to upload (over Wi-Fi) from my MacBook Pro to my server a 20GB file. I am getting about 115MB/s writing speed (using iStats Menu) and the file took 5 minutes to transfer. So performance seems to be consistent with what a single spin drive can deliver.
- When I will have some free time I will be unmounting the Hotway and see if I can force the UAS driver. It is supported by the Pi Board and most USB3.0 devices should have a UAS compatible controller according to what I've found online.

2) Raid
My version of the Hotway, if you look at my description, is the HF2-SU3S2. This enclosure doesn't have a raid controller (it cost $30 less than the HFR2-SU3S2 which comes with a RAID controller). It's kind of 4xUSB to SATA controllers connected to a hub that connects to the Pi.
There is no software RAID on the Raspberry Pi (because mass storage can only use USB on the Pi and USB is not reliable enough to be used to strip to drives in RAID).
Because I am only storing media data and backups, I didn't see any value using RAID as the current performance is sufficient for my use case.
If you need to maximise performance (although it's worth nothing that you won't do so unless you are using faster than gigabit lan), then the HFR2-SU3S2 is better for you. It comes with a hardware RAID controller that you have to setup using the onboard buttons on the enclosure. The user manual explains how to read the LED to select the RAID mode you want (0 jbod, 0,1,35,10). Once you are done, the RAID will mount as one volume on your Pi (or any computer) which you can then partition and format.
http://www.hotway.com.tw/portfolio/3-5r ... fr2-su3s2/

Good luck,
Fabien

davidcoton

Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:08 pm

@pboh@fabouille

Congrats on a tidy installation.
As a recently retired electrician, just a couple of comments:
  1. Swap the positions of the two boxes in the front, so that nothing is directly in front of the Consumer Unit
  2. Lift the box currently on top of the Consumer Unit, either mount it directly to the wall or on a shelf (in either case BEWARE of mains cables hidden in the wall)
This will help greatly when you have a routine electrical inspection (recommended every ten years in domestic property) or an emergency callout.

EDIT: To address the correct owner of the photographed installation. :oops: Thanks @LTolledo.
Last edited by davidcoton on Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signature retired

pboh

Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:31 pm

Thanks again! Yeah, if you do have any time and end up fiddling around and are able to get UAS working with the Hotway, maybe post back with that? I'm still working with a hodgepodge of various single-drive SATA-to-USB adaptors, some of which work with UAS right away, others of which having terrible performance until usb-quirks configured, etc. Would be fantastic if we have a proven 4-drive enclosure that works with UAS straightaway!

Would you mind another round of education for me around my RAID ignorance? :) Let's stipulate that I understand the hardware RAID version as it presents a single interface to the Pi. My question is more.. what am I actually doing when: I have 4 individual drives, connected as 4 individual SATA-to-USB 3.0 interfaces to the Pi through a USB hub, and using fdisk/mdadm/mkfs to construct what I think of as my RAID array? Based on your reply below, it appears that my assumption that was "software RAID" is incorrect. Because I can accomplish what I want (a single logical volume comprised of a few disks) without a hardware RAID controller right now, I think what I'd want is actually your version of the Hotway... provided we can get it working with UAS :)

Thanks again!

fabouille wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:40 pm
Hello,

You are welcomed. I hope my experience will benefit other users too.

Are you using 10 Gbps lan?

1) Performance
My Hotway enclosure doesn't seem to be using the UAS driver. It is showing up in the terminal using the usb-storage driver.
- In terms of performance, I just tried to upload (over Wi-Fi) from my MacBook Pro to my server a 20GB file. I am getting about 115MB/s writing speed (using iStats Menu) and the file took 5 minutes to transfer. So performance seems to be consistent with what a single spin drive can deliver.
- When I will have some free time I will be unmounting the Hotway and see if I can force the UAS driver. It is supported by the Pi Board and most USB3.0 devices should have a UAS compatible controller according to what I've found online.

2) Raid
My version of the Hotway, if you look at my description, is the HF2-SU3S2. This enclosure doesn't have a raid controller (it cost $30 less than the HFR2-SU3S2 which comes with a RAID controller). It's kind of 4xUSB to SATA controllers connected to a hub that connects to the Pi.
There is no software RAID on the Raspberry Pi (because mass storage can only use USB on the Pi and USB is not reliable enough to be used to strip to drives in RAID).
Because I am only storing media data and backups, I didn't see any value using RAID as the current performance is sufficient for my use case.
If you need to maximise performance (although it's worth nothing that you won't do so unless you are using faster than gigabit lan), then the HFR2-SU3S2 is better for you. It comes with a hardware RAID controller that you have to setup using the onboard buttons on the enclosure. The user manual explains how to read the LED to select the RAID mode you want (0 jbod, 0,1,35,10). Once you are done, the RAID will mount as one volume on your Pi (or any computer) which you can then partition and format.
http://www.hotway.com.tw/portfolio/3-5r ... fr2-su3s2/

Good luck,
Fabien

BeauSlim

Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:47 pm

I have the same HF2-SU3S2 enclosure, but mine is branded "mediasonic". It does not support UASP. UASP is a big deal with SSDs, but I don't see a huge difference with spinning disks.

pboh, yes, you are doing "software RAID" if you are using mdadm (or zfs or btrfs) to create an array and then formatting it as a single volume.

In my experience, performance of software RAID over USB is not amazing. What's more, the general consensus on the various NAS forums (openmediavault, FreeNAS, etc.) is that USB RAID is unreliable and should be avoided. RAID software simply isn't designed to be used over USB.

The best solution I have found for multi-disk USB enclosures is mergerfs + snapraid. Read and write is to one disk at a time, so performance is decent over USB. Snapraid gives you redundancy by duplicating files in the background.

LTolledo

Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:54 pm

davidcoton wrote:
@pboh

Congrats on a tidy installation...
the image "seen" on pboh's post is actually "owned" by fabouille ;)

Some people be like:

davidcoton

Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:23 pm

LTolledo wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:54 pm
davidcoton wrote:
@pboh

Congrats on a tidy installation...
the image "seen" on pboh's post is actually "owned" by fabouille ;)
:oops:
My mistake, my post should be addressed differently and I will edit accordingly.
Signature retired

DMMG

Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:46 pm

Hi All,

Totally noob here. I`m looking to build my own server because i`m fed up of the space my laptop takes in living room.
I`m wondering if Pi4 is good as a home server mainly using with plex . I got a new TV and if i`m not wrong will Pi4 have some issues with 4k content?
Should i buy a ready made server ( chepeset but clearly more expensive than a Pi4) or go for a Pi 4?

Thank you

Return to “Advanced users”