johntomko1

Pi 4B GPIO Bootmode Support?

Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:02 pm

Hello,

I've had success using program_gpio_bootmode=1 in config.txt for the Pi 3A+, which uses the BCM2837B0 pin scheme for selecting bootmode.

Will this same setting be supported for the BCM2711 on the 4B? If so, what are the pin<->device relationships?

Thanks

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Pi 4B GPIO Bootmode Support?

Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:21 pm

No, that is going to change I believe. We still have work to do on PXE and USB boot, and that will be available as a bootloader upgrade in the near future. Right now the Pi4 cannot USB boot, its SD card only, although you can then boot a kernel from a USB attached device as you would on the earlier models.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Smudged

Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:20 pm

"its SD card only, although you can then boot a kernel from a USB attached device"

Not sure what you mean here jamesh. I tried and failed to boot from SD card/USB disk with root=/dev/sda3 in cmdline.txt on the SD card. In fact a USB disk plugged into any USB socket either directly or via a powered USB hub prevents booting entirely.

I await the upgrade with 'bated breath as all my non-Zero Pis boot from SSD disk.

Pointlespi

Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:24 pm

Smudged wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:20 pm
"its SD card only, although you can then boot a kernel from a USB attached device"

Not sure what you mean here jamesh. I tried and failed to boot from SD card/USB disk with root=/dev/sda3 in cmdline.txt on the SD card. In fact a USB disk plugged into any USB socket either directly or via a powered USB hub prevents booting entirely.

I await the upgrade with 'bated breath as all my non-Zero Pis boot from SSD disk.
I am having exactly the same issues and the fabled HDMI0 issue also.

I'm out of luck at the moment as I purchased this as an SSD boot/reader and a video device. Woop woop.

Return to “Advanced users”