tawalker

Arch Linux ARM on Raspberry Pi 4

Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:26 pm

I'm mildly surprised no-one else has asked this yet, but anyway: is Arch/ARM ready for the new Pi yet?
---
Raspberry Pi Model 3B+ (2019) ("ayeka") - CentOS
Raspberry Pi Zero W (2018) ("mass") - Raspbian
Raspberry Pi Model B (1st-gen - 2012) ("ryo-ohki") - Arch Linux ARM
---

fruitoftheloom

Re: Arch Linux ARM on Raspberry Pi 4

Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:31 pm

tawalker wrote:
I'm mildly surprised no-one else has asked this yet, but anyway: is Arch/ARM ready for the new Pi yet?

You would need to ask the Software Developers, it has nothing to do with RPF / RPT:

https://archlinuxarm.org/forum/
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Buster.
Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1

ejolson

Re: Arch Linux ARM on Raspberry Pi 4

Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:25 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:31 pm
tawalker wrote:
You would need to ask the Software Developers, it has nothing to do with RPF / RPT:

https://archlinuxarm.org/forum/
I suspect the Arch category on this forum as with many others is for users to share, question and discuss things they are doing with Raspberry Pi. Anything directly to do with Raspberry Pi Foundation or Trading would better be addressed directly to those companies in private correspondence and not posted here.

I've recently moved a couple of my Intel-compatible computers over to an Arch-derived distribution. After many years of Debian and its approach of only packaging stable and sometimes rather old versions of software, it's quite exciting to use a rolling distribution constantly updated to new versions as they become available. While exciting isn't always good when it comes to operating systems, so far I've been impressed with the reliability.

Since Raspbian is intentionally designed to be reverse compatible in educational settings where SD cards are frequently swapped between computers by students, there is a growing need for a functional fully 64-bit Linux distribution for hobbyists and personal computing enthusiasts. As demonstrated by this Raspberry Pi Gentoo thread, it only requires one knowledgeable and dedicated developer to create a well functioning 64-bit image.

While I like the idea behind Gentoo, I find the advantages of custom compiled source to be outweighed by the convenience of a binary distribution. Although Arch seems like a reasonable compromise, a dedicated developer is needed make it work well and to interact with people here on this forum.

Return to “Arch”