Fran123

wheezy repository

Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:13 am

Hello

I'm working with raspbian wheezy and I need some packages.
Is there any active repository for raspbian wheezy? I haven't found anything.

Thank you.

rpdom

Re: wheezy repository

Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:15 am

Wheezy has been moved to legacy.raspbian.org as it is no longer updated. The old packages are still there, but there are no more security fixes for them.

Fran123

Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:33 am

Now I have this in my /etc/apt/sources.list

deb http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ wheezy main contrib non-free rpi

Then, what do I have to write on it?

Thank you

rpdom

Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:50 am

Just change that to

Code: Select all

deb http://legacy.raspbian.org/raspbian/ wheezy main contrib non-free rpi
However Wheezy is really old, and ideally you should replace it with Stretch (or Buster when that is released officially). But there is no easy upgrade path.

braselectron

Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:06 am

I just found this post, and I too am still using wheezy for some projects.

Since I work/play with embedded systems for some time, first I would like to make a stand here: "wheezy (and other outdated systems by some comments I read frequently) are not "very old"! Actually there have been some crazy reference in respect to "time" as I read in many forums, during my research.

So, let say that "outdated" is something with more than 3 years of expired support (ie. lack of interest by main stream development effort) just for now. And that "old" is something more than 8 years with expired official support; and that "very old" is more than 15 years...ops! possibly almost everyone reading this was not born or could not understand boolean logic before this time gap, but the world existed before you! I have a teen son at home, and believe me, they thing that there was not life before mobile phones and Internet.

What bugs me is that proficiency takes time. And that most forums, blogs, comments I read on the web are these irritating remarks: "...a release with more than 2 years is 'very old'!..." that is crazy!!!

A stable server or service is not achieved in 24 hours, it takes time; study, research; troubleshooting errors; investigating performance issues; reading log files; wait for code to mature toward stability, robustness and accuracy. All this takes time. Like my ancestors traditional sayings: "Rome wasn't built in a day" suggests that a complex task or great achievement takes time and effort and should not be rushed.

So what is the catch here ? Well, imagine you need to install, fine tune, protect, and open to the WEB a server and spend many months, or even a year or two (ie. most of us work on other things, not exclusive on IT development), so we spend time getting things all right. And now that all is stable and you are confident that every aspect of the server is "under control", some crazy group announces: "time to move forward, scratch all your work and start over!" And I thing for my self: "ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MINDS?! " Well I sad it. Sorry for the harsh language terms. Keep Calm! and continue on.

So now consider that there is a official suggesting to help with the upgrade process here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... pdating.md

I used a RPi ZeroW with jessie to test the upgrade process.

I followed this alternative guide: https://www.datenreise.de/en/raspberry- ... o-stretch/

Note: at datenreise.de site there is also a wheezy to jessie guide. I will need to do this eventually too.

It took me about 6 hours to complete!!! I did loose some time at the prompt interactions (ie. forgot to look at the terminal window), and also got a error about xrdp service not initializing at the end, so I had to:

1) reboot
2) purge vnc-server
3) force a reinstall of xrdp
4) apt-get install -f and apt-get dist-upgrade after the last autoremove/autoclean of the guide
5) reboot again, to fix above.
6) I ended having to use using tightvnc to test the rdp GUI (which a really use - most is done on console)

Nothing is perfect because not every system is the same, but, after this great effort, and patience, it did work.

Conclusion:

As there is the need to upgrade, many do not account for the great effort needed to "port" a running "system" to a newer release. It's not just a matter of upgrading (ie executing some sudo commands), it also means many more hours fine tuning the new mix of packages of the new system to a stable state, and the "learning curve", which takes lots of time, effort and persistence is not a easy path, only "for the few, the proud." - US Marine motto.

"While we should never give up our principles, we must also realize that we cannot maintain our principles unless we survive." - Henry Kissinger

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:52 am

Not sure what your point is, but does it come down to "When setting up and optimising your system, make sure you write what you did down so you can set up a new one quickly and easily"?

Wheezy was released in 2013 and went out of LTS in May 2018....it had a long life, 5 years, but that life was some time ago. We have released Jessie, Stretch AND Buster since then.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

ShiftPlusOne
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:11 am

As there is the need to upgrade, many do not account for the great effort needed to "port" a running "system" to a newer release. It's not just a matter of upgrading (ie executing some sudo commands), it also means many more hours fine tuning the new mix of packages of the new system to a stable state, and the "learning curve", which takes lots of time, effort and persistence is not a easy path, only "for the few, the proud." - US Marine motto.
That sounds like an argument for keeping your system up to date rather than waiting until you're forced to learn 6 years worth of changes. It's a bit like cleaning your house - much better if you do it frequently rather than every 6 years.

Telcoeng

Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:29 pm

I've installed many RPi in rural locations providing off grid energy monitoring. Hours of driving and four wheel drive, even quad bike to get to. I agree with the writer as the pain of upgrades are really high. The field staff do not, and shouldn't need such an IT level of knowledge. Remote command line expertise is ok to provide.
The IT world struggles with the lifespan of equipment. Even the embedded microcontroller space is showing some issues with updates.
On install, a system is complete. Then some time later it becomes broken from external changes. No different to bloated Windows updates rendering a budget MS Surface tablet as unuseable. Infurating!

pcj-the

Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:57 pm

Newbie to this forum but with an enforced interest in older Pi and Wheezy.
A colleague and I have been asked to see if we can make some use of a couple of Pi B ver 2.0's that have lain unused (not even loaded and booted) in a drawer for some 5 years or more. That's the old B with 512Mb (and which came with a direction to load Wheezy to the SD card).

We followed the link to Raspian and were informed that "NOOBS" is now the download we needed.
Downloaded, unzipped, copied the relevant resulting files to a formatted SD card and followed all the setup steps. First time round found out that NOOBS needed more than the 4GB SD card that came with the original machines! Dig out bigger card, format it and go round the loop again.

Took ages to get to the desktop!

Then it runs like dragging an elephant through semi-frozen treacle.

Is this hardware incapable of running Buster at anything approaching usable speed?

We also intended to try to get Universal G CodeSender onto it but have been stymied by the "Error occurred during initialisation of VM" problem after loading Java 8.
The one related to ARM6 v ARM7.

There are a few topics on the net regarding getting UGS to work with earlier Pi's but all of them use earlier versions of the software such as Wheezy and earlier Javas.

Trying to find these earlier versions (particularly Wheezy) and get a download seems to be a road to nowhere!

Are we wasting our time here? It seems to be a tragedy to put 2 old but as new Pi Bs in the bin!

rpdom

Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:27 pm

Also, please don't "hijack" an existing thread with an unrelated issue. Start a new thread.

pcj-the

Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:48 pm

rpdom wrote:
Also, please don't "hijack" an existing thread with an unrelated issue. Start a new thread.
Was that for me? Please be specific as the entire thread is Re:Wheezy. I was trying to avoid the "starting new thread" unnecessarily problem.
Considering the opener is looking for older Wheezy I felt it the right place to be as I also want access thereto. Also I was hoping the various posters would recognise the older B and be able to tell me if I'm wasting my effort trying to get any speed out of it.

I'll happily start a new thread, I was simply trying to avoid the newbie error of having tons of posters promptly point me to existing threads.

DirkS

Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:34 am

pcj-the wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:48 pm
rpdom wrote:
Was that for me? Please be specific as the entire thread is Re:Wheezy.
It's about problems accessing the Wheezy repository
I was simply trying to avoid the newbie error of having tons of posters promptly point me to existing threads.
'I have a similar problem' posts are more of a problem on forums.
- they are more often than not completely unrelated
- Your chance of getting a relevant response because of this decrease. A lot of potentially knowledgable people will ignore it especially if you're responding to an old topic (necro-ing)

fruitoftheloom

Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:45 am

pcj-the wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:57 pm
Newbie to this forum but with an enforced interest in older Pi and Wheezy.
A colleague and I have been asked to see if we can make some use of a couple of Pi B ver 2.0's that have lain unused (not even loaded and booted) in a drawer for some 5 years or more. That's the old B with 512Mb (and which came with a direction to load Wheezy to the SD card).

We followed the link to Raspian and were informed that "NOOBS" is now the download we needed.
Downloaded, unzipped, copied the relevant resulting files to a formatted SD card and followed all the setup steps. First time round found out that NOOBS needed more than the 4GB SD card that came with the original machines! Dig out bigger card, format it and go round the loop again.

Took ages to get to the desktop!

Then it runs like dragging an elephant through semi-frozen treacle.

Is this hardware incapable of running Buster at anything approaching usable speed?

We also intended to try to get Universal G CodeSender onto it but have been stymied by the "Error occurred during initialisation of VM" problem after loading Java 8.
The one related to ARM6 v ARM7.

There are a few topics on the net regarding getting UGS to work with earlier Pi's but all of them use earlier versions of the software such as Wheezy and earlier Javas.

Trying to find these earlier versions (particularly Wheezy) and get a download seems to be a road to nowhere!

Are we wasting our time here? It seems to be a tragedy to put 2 old but as new Pi Bs in the bin!

The older model Raspberry Pi with the BCM2835 SoC need to be overclocked, there is a setting in raspi-config to do so.

Regards Raspbian Buster if you run the Lite, no Desktop, version a 4GB SD Card is sufficient if not using the NoobS installer / chooser which wastes over 1GB of space:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/

https://www.balena.io/etcher/

They are "capable" of running a desktop environment, but have always been borderline usable with Raspberry Pi Desktop (LXDE), I would suggest Minimal Kiosk Browser is a good solution:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... hp?t=40860
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

szir

Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:42 am

braselectron wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:06 am
Since I work/play with embedded systems for some time, first I would like to make a stand here: "wheezy (and other outdated systems by some comments I read frequently) are not "very old"! Actually there have been some crazy reference in respect to "time" as I read in many forums, during my research.

Hi all.

I'm also an embedded developer, and I have been for a "long time"...

I have read your (braselectron) post and while I mostly agree with you, I think you should take your own advice: "Keep Calm!" and re-read what you have typed before posting cause there are some typos in there. "Well I sad it". It makes it look like an old crazy person shaking their cane and yelling "These damn kids and their internet, in my time..." ; )
I expect more precision from an embedded developer... : )
... but looking at IoT vulnerabilities maybe I shouldn't... : (

I really don't like the Linux "LTS" policy.
5 year isn't that long!

Windows XP had 10 years of support, Windows 7 too... (Win 10 and servers also have Long Term Servicing Channel with 10 years of support)
And even a decade wasn't long enough for some people... (including the navy who runs some old computers/software on their ships)
(Fun question: How often do you want to run upgrade scripts on nuclear reactors? For other fun fact you can look up the age of Beznau nuclear power plant. That is long term service! ; )
Of course 5 years isn't the worst... that award goes to Android, which might have the worst support : (

Windows and Microsoft isn't perfect (and Win 10... made me think I would rather switch to a Linux distro before switching to Win 10... but then I used Linux desktop... it's not great), but at least they know what long means... I think we should aspire for more and not less...

Speaking of Linux upgrade experience...
A couple of month back while upgrading xubuntu with not enough space on /boot for the new kernel (because that's how the default/recommended setup partitioned it on install) I got a nice "not enough space on stdout" error while dpkg tried to unzip the kernel... (very informative error message by the way)
It bricked my VM (kernel panic on boot), had to restore from snapshot/backup : (

I did manage to upgrade my Raspbian Wheezy to Jessie and to Stretch and it went OK...ish
...Why cannot apt merge config files on update? Why isn't there an upgrade process for config files?
I had to manually review multiple config files, because "the package maintainer provided a new one" and apparently I did edit some files in /etc (who would have expected that you will configure your OS). (In most of them I modified some options, and the new package config had some updated comment/documentation. So, no lines had any conflict. I have etckeeper installed and cdiff, but even the side by side comparison didn't work.)
And these interruptions happened "randomly", not all at once in the beginning or at the end.

No windows update ever stopped and asked me what to do if I didn't use the default settings...
Wordpress upgrades database structures from any old version...
Somehow these can all handle config upgrades.
Linux, why?!

jamesh recommended keeping log, and that is great. Especially if you are developing embedded systems, having a script, documentation how to reproduce it is preferable. But not everyone wants to reinstall and start from scratch... Home users for one who set up their systems once upon a time and don't remember how/what they did. (Maybe they have a backup image, but not build scripts, didn't create ansible configs for it...) You can also have hard to reach deployed systems that should handle their update/upgrade on their own reliably without user/service personnel intervention... IoT anyone? You can't just reinstall live systems all the time.

Not everyone have time/expertise to keep upgrading their systems every year and learn the hot new thing (network manager, system d...), and they shouldn't have to!
When you go to the doctor they don't give you a user manual and say "here are the new drog resistant strains, here are the new medicine research, here is a chemistry lab where you can mix your cure, if you have any question feel free to post them on this forum"
Everyone should do their job well, so others can do their own job. (Doctors should spend their time on reading medical research and not reading Linux manual and upgrading OS instances... so they can cure you and you can go back writing code.)

Unfortunately the distribution upgrade experience is pretty shitty. : (

I know it's not fun to support old code, so we will probably never get it for free...
But thankfully there are some good people out there who care and help.

I just wanted nslookup and not spend hours upgrading a one off system.
Putting this into my /etc/apt/sources.list helped me:
rpdom wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:50 am

Code: Select all

deb http://legacy.raspbian.org/raspbian/ wheezy main contrib non-free rpi
So, Thank you.

rpdom

Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:22 am

szir wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:42 am
Why cannot apt merge config files on update? Why isn't there an upgrade process for config files?
I try to change as few standard config files in /etc as possible. Many packages now support a configuration directory where you can place your local config options which can override the ones in the standard files. When you do that you don't get all the annoying "config file has been changed" messages.

Return to “Raspbian”