yoges123

System start up

Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:17 pm

Hello,
I am just new to Rasperry pie and just started downloading the operating system. I just wanted to know when I power up should the Micro SD card should be in the pie? Should I leave the Micro SD card inside the pie all the time?
Thanks

klricks

Re: System start up

Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:48 pm

yoges123 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:17 pm
Hello,
I am just new to Rasperry pie and just started downloading the operating system. I just wanted to know when I power up should the Micro SD card should be in the pie? Should I leave the Micro SD card inside the pie all the time?
Thanks
The SD card (or USB) with a properly installed OS must be in the RPi at all times.
The SD is like a hard disk in a PC/MAC. Without it nothing will happen.... Not even an image on the screen.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Stretch w/ Desktop OS.

Andyroo

Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:56 pm

Welcoming me.

I would also download Etcher from https://www.balena.io/etcher/ to create the SD image from the file you are downloading.

This will save you having to unzip the file, format the SD card and then copy the data.
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

LTolledo

Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:41 am

Andyroo wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:56 pm
Welcoming me.

I would also download Etcher from https://www.balena.io/etcher/ to create the SD image from the file you are downloading.

This will save you having to unzip the file, format the SD card and then copy the data.
....and time in installing, specially if you are in connected to "slow internet".....
installing the OS image via Etcher is much better and faster....

also in addition.... once you've powered your RPi dont ever remove the microSD card from the slot (well, you can, and nobody here in the forum can physically stop you anyway, but you've been warned against it), otherwise be prepared for the "worst possible consequences" of that action....
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

Burngate

Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:31 am

LTolledo wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:41 am
... the "worst possible consequences"...
... which could be your SD card may need re-imaging. You're unlikely to damage your Pi!
And it could be a good learning experience, so try it, and see what happens.

It's not like removing the ignition key of a car while driving on a motorway (other than the M25 round Heathrow)

Return to “General discussion”