RuudB

Access the hwrng.bin file (random number generation)

Fri May 31, 2019 7:31 am

Hello all!

I do have a little problem which I can't seem to solve!
I did read a lot of information online but can't find a solution.
Maybe one of you can help me?

For a project at my work I need a lot of random number input. Its easy enough to find online RNG's but hey! I have a Rpi 3b+ so i like to use my own for random numbers. 8-)

With online info i activated the Hwrng and with:

Code: Select all

dd if=/dev/hwrng of=hwrng-data.bin bs=1024 count=1024
I can make a 1mb file filed with random numbers...

But i have no clue how to see those random numbers on my screen.. If i open the file i just see a bunch of unknown symbols.
I also tried to print True random numbers on my screen but it seems not to work for me.

Anyone know how to properly open the hwrng.bin fil? or how i can print a bunch of number on my screen?

If i have a working code to print on my screen that would be awesome too! Than I can print them on my 16x2 LCD and keep them rolling or refreshing.

Thank you in advance!

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Access the hwrng.bin file (random number generation)

Fri May 31, 2019 8:48 am

You can convert binary files to hex numbers using hexdump. This 'cat's the urandom devices through hexdump to make it human readable.

cat /dev/urandom | hexdump
Or in your case

hexdump hwrng-data.bin
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

pfletch101

Fri May 31, 2019 3:10 pm

jamesh wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 8:48 am
You can convert binary files to hex numbers using hexdump. This 'cat's the urandom devices through hexdump to make it human readable.

cat /dev/urandom | hexdump
Or in your case

hexdump hwrng-data.bin
This treats the binary file or the output of the urandom device as a byte stream (which is basically what it is - actually a bit stream). I think that the OP may be looking for a sequence of discrete random numbers - though he needs to specify the range in which these should lie.

RuudB

Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:54 am

Thank you so much!
It did cost me so much time but its finally starting to work out haha! So simple but you have to know ..

pfletch101 wrote:
This treats the binary file or the output of the urandom device as a byte stream (which is basically what it is - actually a bit stream). I think that the OP may be looking for a sequence of discrete random numbers - though he needs to specify the range in which these should lie.
Yes, that is right, preferable I need random numbers in the range 0 to 9
If that is possible that would really be what I need!

So once more I will polity ask for your help!
Thanks in advance! And have a great weekend!

pfletch101

Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:00 pm

RuudB wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:54 am
Thank you so much!
It did cost me so much time but its finally starting to work out haha! So simple but you have to know ..

pfletch101 wrote:
Yes, that is right, preferable I need random numbers in the range 0 to 9
If that is possible that would really be what I need!

So once more I will polity ask for your help!
Thanks in advance! And have a great weekend!
Here is (Python 3) code to print sequential random single-digit numbers:

from time import sleep
f=open('/dev/urandom','rb')
while True:
    rndbytes=f.read(1)
    rndint=rndbytes[0]
    if rndint < 10: # ignore numbers above 9 - should not disturb randomness of remainder
        print (rndint) # this can be replaced by code which uses the random number
        sleep(1)

Here, probably more usefully :) is a function to return a random number between 0 and 9.

def randint09():
    with open('/dev/urandom','rb') as f:
        while True:
            rndbytes=f.read(1)
            rndint=rndbytes[0] & 15 # mask off high bits (added in edit)
            if rndint < 10: # ignore numbers above 9 - should not disturb randomness of remainder
                return rndint

# the following code uses the function to generate random integers to print to the screen
while True:
    print(randint09())
    sleep(1) # assumed to have been imported

It is better to use the urandom device directly than to generate a file and use that, since, in the latter case, you will always see the same sequence. The function could easily be generalized to generate numbers in any specified range - for ranges extending beyond 255, bytes would be read and combined two (or more) at a time to get the initial random integer - then you can throw away anything outside the desired range.

{EDIT} The commented change in the randint09 function should not change the validity of the code but it will make it quite a bit faster/more efficient, since only (on average) 6 out of 16 of the original random bytes will be discarded, needing at least one additional 'try', while without the masking step, many more 'tries' to get a 'hit' will be necessary for some original sequences. Obviously, different integer ranges for the random output would require the use of appropriate masks.

RuudB

Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:18 am

Hi!

Thank you so much for your effort! :)

It costed me some time but I got it running in Idle 3 !! (I'm a newbie... i tried to open the .py file in the terminal :roll: ...)
The code and extra info are very helpful! I need to read in it a bit more to fully understand the difference between the first and second code, but it is working and i,m very happy!

Best regards,
Ruud

Return to “Raspbian”