DavisNT

Kernel update for Jessie

Tue May 14, 2019 9:17 pm

Raspbian Jessie is still receiving other updates, however kernel version is still 4.9.35.
raspberrypi-kernel package version on update servers is 1.20170703-1 (this can be verified e.g. in http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/d ... f/Packages ).

Is this some kind of build/distribution system bug?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Kernel update for Jessie

Tue May 14, 2019 9:40 pm

All work is now on 4.19,with the current release kernel 4.14.

I don't believe we will be updaing earlier kernels, but could be wrong. Depends on the need.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

ShiftPlusOne
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Tue May 14, 2019 10:37 pm

Jessie updates are flowing in from Debian. The firmware and kernel packages, on the other hand, are provided by us and we only maintain one release at a time. Currently, that's Stretch. We dont have the resources to maintain old releases.

DavisNT

Thu May 16, 2019 8:57 pm

ShiftPlusOne wrote:
Jessie updates are flowing in from Debian. The firmware and kernel packages, on the other hand, are provided by us and we only maintain one release at a time. Currently, that's Stretch. We dont have the resources to maintain old releases.
Thanks for the information!

Can the kernel from currently maintained Raspbian version be installed on previous Raspbian versions (e.g. Jessie) by this command?

Code: Select all

sudo BRANCH=stable rpi-update

The kernel will most likely work, but might have some issues here and there (and of course is unsupported due to being run on a different OS), correct?
The kernel installed in this manner will always have the latest security fixes, correct?

Maybe it would be worth to mention in the documentation of Raspberry Pi/Raspbian that only kernel for latest Raspbian release is maintained?
Otherwise many people who see that Raspbian is getting and installing updates might be unaware that they are actually running outdated and vulnerable kernels on their Raspberry Pi computers.
I would suggest to add a warning about this in https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... pdating.md

fruitoftheloom

Fri May 17, 2019 5:31 am

DavisNT wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 8:57 pm
ShiftPlusOne wrote:
Thanks for the information!

Can the kernel from currently maintained Raspbian version be installed on previous Raspbian versions (e.g. Jessie) by this command?

Code: Select all

sudo BRANCH=stable rpi-update

The kernel will most likely work, but might have some issues here and there (and of course is unsupported due to being run on a different OS), correct?
The kernel installed in this manner will always have the latest security fixes, correct?

Maybe it would be worth to mention in the documentation of Raspberry Pi/Raspbian that only kernel for latest Raspbian release is maintained?
Otherwise many people who see that Raspbian is getting and installing updates might be unaware that they are actually running outdated and vulnerable kernels on their Raspberry Pi computers.
I would suggest to add a warning about this in https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... pdating.md

Raspbian Jessie went end of life August 2017 and Stretch release was well publicised, there is no reason to run Jessie or Wheezy. Stretch latest point release is suitable for ALL Raspberry Pis & CM:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspbian-stretch/
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Stretch.

DavisNT

Fri May 17, 2019 11:29 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 5:31 am
Raspbian Jessie went end of life August 2017 and Stretch release was well publicised, there is no reason to run Jessie or Wheezy. Stretch latest point release is suitable for ALL Raspberry Pis & CM:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspbian-stretch/
Unfortunately, according to Debian Popularity Contest, around 20% Debian users are still running Jessie.
Most likely situation is no better for Raspbian.
Thank you for the link, but I couldn't find there any explicit statements about deprecation of Jessie (or any of its components). This only confirms lack of documentation about kernel being the one package that gets deprecated much earlier than all (or at least almost all) other packages.

I would prefer returning to the original topic to help other Raspbian users not to run vulnerable/outdated kernels.
I am quite sure that kernel of currently maintained Raspbian version can be installed by the mentioned command-line and that the kernel will most likely work (with some minor issues). Please somebody correct me if I am wrong or if there are other important packages that would still be left behind (after installing Raspbian updates and using rpi-update)!

Can we expect that kernel of the maintained Raspbian version will always contain the latest security fixes (that the kernel is kept up-to-date security-wise)?

Could it be possible to mention in the documentation (e.g. in https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... pdating.md ) that stock kernel is maintained only for current version of Raspbian? Otherwise it is very counter-intuitive that other packages receive updates while kernel is left behind.

Return to “Raspbian”