imaginaryeast

Etcher didn't work for SD card in Win

Tue May 14, 2019 3:42 pm

Just an FYI here, I spent some time trying to flash an SD image using the recommended program, Etcher, and it was completely no-go. I ran it with admin privileges and it still wouldn't write an image. Finally was able to get it written with win32 disk imager, so I have no problem, but I can't imagine this was isolated to my specific card, as I'm using a run-of-the-mill sandisc variety that is on a verified list for raspi.

Botspot

Re: Etcher didn't work for SD card in Win

Tue May 14, 2019 3:55 pm

imaginaryeast wrote:
Just an FYI here, I spent some time trying to flash an SD image using the recommended program, Etcher, and it was completely no-go. I ran it with admin privileges and it still wouldn't write an image. Finally was able to get it written with win32 disk imager, so I have no problem, but I can't imagine this was isolated to my specific card, as I'm using a run-of-the-mill sandisc variety that is on a verified list for raspi.
Please be specific:
  • Were there any error codes?
  • What image file were you trying to flash?
  • What part of the flashing process was not working?
  • Did it let you select the disk image file?
  • Did it let you select the drive?
  • Did it let you click the flash/start button?
Want to run Minecraft Java on your RPi? Easiest way is with Pi-Apps - just click Install.
https://github.com/Botspot/pi-apps
Pi-Apps also includes Zoom, Visual Studio, Tor browser, Windows 10 theme, and 33 more.
Over 50,000 users!

fruitoftheloom

Tue May 14, 2019 3:57 pm

imaginaryeast wrote:

With W32DI you need to unzip, with Etcher it does that as part of its SD Card creation.

So maybe try Etcher without unzipping ??
The information is out there....you just have to let it in.

My other Linux machines are a ChromeBox & Intel CoreDuo Desktop

B.Goode

Tue May 14, 2019 3:58 pm

imaginaryeast wrote:

I understand that this was posted "Just FYI"

Since BalenaEtcher is not a Raspberry Pi product, it might also be worth reporting your concerns through the balena.io forums - https://forums.balena.io/c/etcher

That way your problems might come to the attention of someone able to fix them.

(I have found balena.io to be responsive to queries and comments about their products and services.)

scruss

Tue May 14, 2019 5:18 pm

imaginaryeast wrote:
Just an FYI here, I spent some time trying to flash an SD image using the recommended program, Etcher, and it was completely no-go. I ran it with admin privileges and it still wouldn't write an image.
Did you get the "The writer process ended unexpectedly" error a few seconds after starting the write?

For me, Balena Etcher 1.5.33 on Windows 10 Professional (version 1809, build 17763.475) wouldn't install and gave that error message with two different card readers and two different images, either zipped or unzipped.

There have been a flurry of upgrades to Etcher over the last few days, including downgrading the whole framework it runs under. Balena Etcher 1.5.39 seems to be successfully writing an image for me now. It also installed properly, which is a good sign.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.
Pronouns: he/him

imaginaryeast

Thu May 23, 2019 1:37 pm

scruss wrote:
imaginaryeast wrote:
Just an FYI here, I spent some time trying to flash an SD image using the recommended program, Etcher, and it was completely no-go. I ran it with admin privileges and it still wouldn't write an image.
Did you get the "The writer process ended unexpectedly" error a few seconds after starting the write?

For me, Balena Etcher 1.5.33 on Windows 10 Professional (version 1809, build 17763.475) wouldn't install and gave that error message with two different card readers and two different images, either zipped or unzipped.

There have been a flurry of upgrades to Etcher over the last few days, including downgrading the whole framework it runs under. Balena Etcher 1.5.39 seems to be successfully writing an image for me now. It also installed properly, which is a good sign.
Yes, this is exactly the error I got. I was using the archive, and when that didn't work, I tried just the image.
The Etcher interface is quite minimalist and there didn't appear to be any additional steps to take in order to get it working. I used known working hardware and known working software and it simply didn't work over and over again. It also didn't work on Lakka and Retropie distros.

I posted this because, even though this isn't an Etcher site, the program is listed in way that makes it seem recommended, and I wanted anyone who had trouble with it to know there was another easy option.

dl324

Thu May 23, 2019 3:24 pm

I've used Etcher 3 times with no problems on Win 10 Home version 1803.

I got my first Pi a couple weeks ago...

scruss

Fri May 24, 2019 2:41 pm

imaginaryeast wrote:
I posted this because, even though this isn't an Etcher site, the program is listed in way that makes it seem recommended, and I wanted anyone who had trouble with it to know there was another easy option.
This has been fixed. Use a version of Etcher newer than 1.5.33 on Windows 10.
dl324 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 3:24 pm
I've used Etcher 3 times with no problems on Win 10 Home version 1803.

I got my first Pi a couple weeks ago...
You were probably lucky enough to download one of the newer, fixed versions of Etcher.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.
Pronouns: he/him

Andyroo

Fri May 24, 2019 3:34 pm

I do wonder why they have to keep fiddling with a working product :?:

The Mac version got an update and broke around Christmas time - in return of the fix we got a horrible green icon and adverts.

I would happily pay and have a stable version with no ‘projects’ to be honest.

I know - I did not NEED to upgrade :oops:

johnmo999

Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:24 pm

imaginaryeast wrote:
scruss wrote:
imaginaryeast wrote:

Yes, this is exactly the error I got. I was using the archive, and when that didn't work, I tried just the image.
The Etcher interface is quite minimalist and there didn't appear to be any additional steps to take in order to get it working. I used known working hardware and known working software and it simply didn't work over and over again. It also didn't work on Lakka and Retropie distros.

I had the same problem I changed the partition on the SD card using Gparted on Raspian to make first 4MG unalocated and the rest FAT32 that allowed the flash through etcher to work. However it still didn't boot in my raspberry Pi4b.

Return to “Troubleshooting”