bedtime

Using XCB vs X11 on Raspberry Pi

Fri May 03, 2019 7:36 pm

I've just learned a few of the basics of Xlib and have made a light-weight notification system and a program that detects window edge swipes... Upon browsing the net, I see much mention of XCB and how it is newer, more efficient, and runs closer to the bare metal.

Is it worth learning? Can the Pi run it well? I ask as in this point of time I haven't invested much time in Xlib, so it wouldn't really feel like I was starting over. And I don't want to dive in only to find out that it might not be the best option.

My general C skills are at the level of someone who has been tinkering a year or two. XCB sounds quite well-suited to the Pi (and Pi 0) if it is worth learning.

Comments?

Also, where to find decent 'full code' tutorials and sample programs for XCB? Seems Xlib is leading on this front.

Thanx.

topguy

Re: Using XCB vs X11 on Raspberry Pi

Mon May 06, 2019 10:08 am

What is your "endgame" 8-) ? To create small simple very effective applications or move up to more complex UI with menus, buttons, selections etc.

Maybe instead of moving "down" maybe you should be looking "up" to highlevel toolkits like GTK or FLTK etc.

bedtime

Re: Using XCB vs X11 on Raspberry Pi

Mon May 06, 2019 7:37 pm

topguy wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 10:08 am
What is your "endgame" 8-) ? To create small simple very effective applications or move up to more complex UI with menus, buttons, selections etc.

Maybe instead of moving "down" maybe you should be looking "up" to highlevel toolkits like GTK or FLTK etc.
Just to do more tinkering and make small, lightweight programs. Gtk and the others do not interest me; I just want to keep it lightweight and low-level. Making things like menus and simple buttons. Currently I've been modifying DWM to be touch compatible.

Return to “C/C++”