ameador1

Re: Can't get Google Domain name to point to pi

Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:17 am

Oh, and yes - I have lists of lists and notes about notes and books of steps! One of the best solutions I have found is Microsoft One Note. Works on most devices. Synchronizes across devices. Let's you have notebooks with chapters that have pages per chapter. You can embed pictures, PDFs, videos, sound (even recording directly into a page, etc. It's all searchable including looking for text within images. You can link to web sites, to other notebooks, chapters, pages, or even paragraphs. You can use a stylus to write on the pages and auto convert to text, or leave it as an image that is still searchable. I have found it to be emensly useful in keeping track of my projects, steps, supporting documents and links to related web sites, etc... And it's free. Anyway - I wish I had this year's earlier so thought I'd pass it on.
"When money ceases to be the tool by which men deal with one another, then men become the tools of men. Blood, whips and guns–or dollars. Take your choice–there is no other..."
- Ayn Rand - Atlas Shrugged

Dogma

Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:25 am

Learning never stops, but that's how I love living life. I've done the whole "sit here and do this repetitively" it's not for me!

Edit: just seen your second post, I've always wanted to play with one note but never have, I might have to start using it, sounds exactly like what I'm looking for.

neilgl

Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:46 pm

As a side note, for that "custom heating system" I would drop the external 3rd party service and IFTTT. Just use OpenHAB on a pi and mqtt, and reporgram the smart outlets using e.g. Tasmota. Thats what I do, so no dependency on the internet...

ameador1

Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:05 pm

neilgl wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:46 pm
As a side note, for that "custom heating system" I would drop the external 3rd party service and IFTTT. Just use OpenHAB on a pi and mqtt, and reporgram the smart outlets using e.g. Tasmota. Thats what I do, so no dependency on the internet...
Dropping the 3rd party stuff is what I am working on - using my own control circuit - but also using MQTT and OpenHAB - at least that's the plan. My main issue is I am dependent on the temp reading from my smart thermostat (Ecobee) - but their system, even using OpenHAB, is still dependent on it reporting to Ecobee and then being read. That is my primary failure point right now. They have been having problems for a few month now where they are not getting the temp to monitoring sources - thus causing the heat to be directed too long either inside the house or outside. We keep our house at 70*F - and have come home a few times to 90* and the HVAC system running the air conditioning trying to fight a loosing battle and vice versa and the HVAC system trying to heat the house when the data center is blowing all the air outside. My project is so I can get real temp readings directly from multiple sources so I can really fine tune it and also controlling the fan systems directly so I don't have to depend on wireless 3rd party parts. Everything will be hardwired.

The smart outlets I'm using right now are not in the OpenHAB system. They are Teckin SP20 units https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

Not sure how, or if, I can re-program them with Tasmota. What do you think about this particular model for doing that? I am probably only a few weeks out from having my custom controller system up and running. I have it almost completely done on breadboard and code - just need to tweek the PCB design a bit and order the PCBs - solder it up and wire everything.
"When money ceases to be the tool by which men deal with one another, then men become the tools of men. Blood, whips and guns–or dollars. Take your choice–there is no other..."
- Ayn Rand - Atlas Shrugged

neilgl

Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:44 pm

We probably need to start another thread about it.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:35 am

Yes, this thread has run its course, and drifted off far from it, that is why I'm now locking it.

Return to “Beginners”