stuartiannaylor

Re: is the pi worth it?

Tue May 14, 2019 9:49 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 12:52 am
Gavinmc42 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 11:29 pm
Hang on what? Specs. There are Pi4 specs floating around.
Is it just me salivating? "Ooh shiny, I want" :lol:
Only if you can plant a hidden mic in Pi Towers.

As for me...I will be happy to get Pi4s pretty much without regard to specs, as it's essentially a given that they will meet or exceed the Pi3B+. As I've noted from time to time, the only "wish list" item I have is faster I/O. Anything else falls into the "nice to have, but not essential" category.
There are a variety of specs that are just not hardware based and for me the biggest problem is the proprietary nature of VC4.
The jump to a new fab process should see quite an order in magnitude in hardware spec.
I have been wondering though if the whole 'backward' compatibility 'thing' is going to lock in 'proprietary' aspects past a healthy sell buy date.
That could will be Raspberries Achilles heel and the attack of the clones is more 1980's IBM than Starwars.

Pi4 is as interesting as the current PI in terms of value, interesting as much of what we expect of a Pi4 is a reflection to the value we assign to the current series.
My take on the Pi4 is that it should have 3x M.2 connectors that will set a new form factor like the now enshrined 40 pin GPIO.
For me VC5 is already dead in the water via Mali and have also got my fingers crossed that I/O is a primary focus and that a more module M.2 could equally employ external GPU, AI accelerator implementations and storage.
Wifi, ethernet, GPIO40, HDMI and USB all in there, but there is quite a lot on my 'dream team' Pi4 that I would change, so guess I could argue that the current Pi has much less value than I envisage or want.

I think the Pi is definitely worth todays asking price but that is slightly different question to if it has value and I think its very much about IO, but would like raspberry to set a new form factor with the demise of the sd card reader, camera and audio port, upgraded to 1x type C, 1x type 3.1 WiFi, ethernet, HDMI with the ubiquitous GPIO40 maybe a 2nd row.

So actually for me quite a lot of change and maybe why I place less value to the current range of Pi's but still think the current prices are definitely worth it, but its overall value has diminished and why that necessitates a fairly radical departure to something more modular in the same 'credit card' footprint that widens its value and replaces much of what has diminished.

Really interesting times, but I am wondering how long it may retain useful value.

Heater

Tue May 14, 2019 10:49 am

Do you suggest to do away with the GPIO header and use a M.2 connectors instead?

How are kids supposed to connect their experiments to that?

How am I for that matter?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue May 14, 2019 10:55 am

stuartiannaylor wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:
Gavinmc42 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 11:29 pm
Hang on what? Specs. There are Pi4 specs floating around.
Is it just me salivating? "Ooh shiny, I want" :lol:

As for me...I will be happy to get Pi4s pretty much without regard to specs, as it's essentially a given that they will meet or exceed the Pi3B+. As I've noted from time to time, the only "wish list" item I have is faster I/O. Anything else falls into the "nice to have, but not essential" category.
There are a variety of specs that are just not hardware based and for me the biggest problem is the proprietary nature of VC4.
The jump to a new fab process should see quite an order in magnitude in hardware spec.
I have been wondering though if the whole 'backward' compatibility 'thing' is going to lock in 'proprietary' aspects past a healthy sell buy date.
That could will be Raspberries Achilles heel and the attack of the clones is more 1980's IBM than Starwars.

Pi4 is as interesting as the current PI in terms of value, interesting as much of what we expect of a Pi4 is a reflection to the value we assign to the current series.
My take on the Pi4 is that it should have 3x M.2 connectors that will set a new form factor like the now enshrined 40 pin GPIO.
For me VC5 is already dead in the water via Mali and have also got my fingers crossed that I/O is a primary focus and that a more module M.2 could equally employ external GPU, AI accelerator implementations and storage.
Wifi, ethernet, GPIO40, HDMI and USB all in there, but there is quite a lot on my 'dream team' Pi4 that I would change, so guess I could argue that the current Pi has much less value than I envisage or want.

I think the Pi is definitely worth todays asking price but that is slightly different question to if it has value and I think its very much about IO, but would like raspberry to set a new form factor with the demise of the sd card reader, camera and audio port, upgraded to 1x type C, 1x type 3.1 WiFi, ethernet, HDMI with the ubiquitous GPIO40 maybe a 2nd row.

So actually for me quite a lot of change and maybe why I place less value to the current range of Pi's but still think the current prices are definitely worth it, but its overall value has diminished and why that necessitates a fairly radical departure to something more modular in the same 'credit card' footprint that widens its value and replaces much of what has diminished.

Really interesting times, but I am wondering how long it may retain useful value.
You keep going on about this, and you keep being wrong. Firstly, backwards compatibility is vital to our customer base. We cannot simply change so much that our entire software stack is thrown away, both from a development point of view, and a customer point of view. You find VC4/5 a problem, well, we don't see it as a problem. There's certainly an upgrade path to keep things current. Do you know how Mali for example compares with VC4/VC5?

As for what you want on a Pi4, irrelevent and slightly mad tbh. You don;t appear to know the market very well and tt's what the market wants and what is actually possible under our particular constraints that is important.

Your posts do border on concern trolling. We don't like that here. I mean, REALLY don't like that. We also are not that keen on being told what we should be doing, and its worth bearing in mind that we know quite a lot about the SBC market, being the market leaders, having sold 25million devices, which is about 24M more than anyone else. So unless you can show you have the sort of intimate knowledge of the market it might be prudent to dial back the concerns a bit.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

LTolledo

Tue May 14, 2019 11:05 am

I've read a review on the prototype of the RPi4 (wont reveal the source or other details).

Got me drooling.... excited....

is it worth it?

unless prevented by international treaties, local government legislation, or military embargo..... ME WANT ONE!!!! :D

(or a few more perhaps) ;)
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

stuartiannaylor

Tue May 14, 2019 11:23 am

jamesh wrote:
stuartiannaylor wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:

You keep going on about this, and you keep being wrong. Firstly, backwards compatibility is vital to our customer base. We cannot simply change so much that our entire software stack is thrown away, both from a development point of view, and a customer point of view. You find VC4/5 a problem, well, we don't see it as a problem. There's certainly an upgrade path to keep things current. Do you know how Mali for example compares with VC4/VC5?

As for what you want on a Pi4, irrelevent and slightly mad tbh. You don;t appear to know the market very well and tt's what the market wants and what is actually possible under our particular constraints that is important.

Your posts do border on concern trolling. We don't like that here. I mean, REALLY don't like that. We also are not that keen on being told what we should be doing, and its worth bearing in mind that we know quite a lot about the SBC market, being the market leaders, having sold 25million devices, which is about 24M more than anyone else. So unless you can show you have the sort of intimate knowledge of the market it might be prudent to dial back the concerns a bit.
I don't think there is anything trolling about personal opinion and wish as never said it should be or would be. Just said what people wish from a Pi4 is in a way a reflection of what they think the current models lack.
With 25million sales then if mad why bother even to respond its purely opinion of one, mad or not we shall see and like I say its interesting times.

stuartiannaylor

Tue May 14, 2019 11:25 am

stuartiannaylor wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 11:23 am
jamesh wrote:
stuartiannaylor wrote:

I don't think there is anything trolling about personal opinion and wish as never said it should be or would be. Just said what people wish from a Pi4 is in a way a reflection of what they think the current models lack.
I just added my own perfect Pi to the conv as I was thinking about it.
With 25million sales then if mad why bother even to respond its purely opinion of one, mad or not we shall see and like I say its interesting times.
Must be my browser or something dunno why I always get double posts on edits as always have spieling or grammar mistakes.

Gavinmc42

Tue May 14, 2019 11:31 am

I do hope the Pi4 is not in a hurry, it should be Desktop replacement level power.
There might be a temptation to use it as that instead of having fun with it.

I'm not saying I don't want it, it's just I have not finished with the old ones yet.
Learning to work around the current limitations has driven me to learn stuff i never would have bothered with if it was more powerful.

When the Pi4 finally shows, two PC's here will probably get retired ;)
I will buy them no matter what they have or not have on them.
Er is that an addiction, is there a cure?
Not sure how many I can fit here, but they are only small, if I throw out the old boat anchors I will have more room
"Have another wafer.. .. Oh Sir, it's only wafer thin"...
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

fruitoftheloom

Tue May 14, 2019 12:02 pm

As per usual recent postings have gone completely of track...

...someone was asking (questioning ?) Whether or not a Raspberry Pi 3 was worth it !!

WTF is a RPi4 discussion for ???
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

hippy

Tue May 14, 2019 12:08 pm

stuartiannaylor wrote:
for me the biggest problem is the proprietary nature of VC4.
While we probably all have views on its nature, that hasn't stopped 25 million Pi's being sold. I doubt it has limited sales or would do so in the future.
stuartiannaylor wrote:
It could but I doubt it will. The whole backwards compatibility issue seems oversold to me, more likely it's a convenient excuse as to why things haven't changed or won't be changing than an actual obstacle to things changing in the future.

No company wants to see past investment and effort abandoned, but most will suck it up if their future depends on it. It's not exactly 'money and effort wasted' when it got them to where they are, and it's not as if the RPF/RPT couldn't afford those sunk costs.

Most developers and users won't really care either. As long as the API's they use remain the same nothing much changes for them, no matter what changes under the hood. And even where things do change most accept change as inevitable. The people most affected will likely be the ones most used to drastic change anyway.

There are certain aspects of the Pi which will require specific consideration when it comes to backwards compatibility, but that can be managed. In fact the whole thing about change is that it can be managed.

The RPF/RPT won't want to make changes which break backwards compatibility, but I am sure they would if they had to, could justify why they had to, and most would accept that, even if grudgingly. And backwards compatibility is never as important IMO as not abandoning those who aren't compatible with the new.

Thus I can't see the Pi being trapped by the dogma of backwards compatibility unless a decision is taken to make it so. And I can't see that happening.

Heater

Tue May 14, 2019 5:40 pm

stuartiannaylor,
I don't think there is anything trolling about personal opinion and wish as never said it should be or would be.
That is grammatical gibberish but I agree, expressing an opinion is fine, we all have them.
Just said what people wish from a Pi4 is in a way a reflection of what they think the current models lack.
I do object to people expressing their opinions as if they were mine.

I am a person, a long time Pi using person, I have my opinions as to what direction I'd like the Pi to go in. I am the "they" for which you claim to speak.

Let's just say that my opinion about that is very different from yours.

stuartiannaylor

Tue May 14, 2019 6:28 pm

Heater wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 5:40 pm
stuartiannaylor,
I don't think there is anything trolling about personal opinion and wish as never said it should be or would be.
That is grammatical gibberish but I agree, expressing an opinion is fine, we all have them.
Just said what people wish from a Pi4 is in a way a reflection of what they think the current models lack.
I do object to people expressing their opinions as if they were mine.

I am a person, a long time Pi using person, I have my opinions as to what direction I'd like the Pi to go in. I am the "they" for which you claim to speak.

Let's just say that my opinion about that is very different from yours.
I never claimed to speak for anyone just the observation that pi4 wishes are often what is lacking currently as otherwise why wish for it?
Also you might want to reread as with GPIO I even suggested 2, that is my p4 wish and yeah in general its a reflection of what I see as currently lacking.

Heater

Tue May 14, 2019 7:17 pm

stuartiannaylor,
I never claimed to speak for anyone ...
Read what you actually wrote no what you thought:
What is that but not speaking for "people" and "they"?

All of this endless discussion would be much shorter and more efficient if people just left a note saying something like:

"I want my Pi to have: Mali, SATA, USB 3, M.2, RISC V, Unicorns, Ponies (Pink), 8GB RAM."

Then we could move on. The Pi builders could take it or ignore as they think fit. It's not likely they don't know of all these things already.

jamesh

Tue May 14, 2019 9:48 pm

Heater wrote:
stuartiannaylor,

All of this endless discussion would be much shorter and more efficient if people just left a note saying something like:

"I want my Pi to have: Mali, SATA, USB 3, M.2, RISC V, Unicorns, Ponies (Pink), 8GB RAM."

Then we could move on. The Pi builders could take it or ignore as they think fit. It's not likely they don't know of all these things already.
As I have said before, we have heard it all (almost). In the unlikely event that someone comes up with an idea that I haven't heard before I pass it on. Usually its has already been considered, but occasionally (twice in 6 years) something new does arise.

I don't think anyone need fear the Pi brand being overtaken. We have a solid roadmap, and a small but extremely effective team of engineers, and a boss with real drive and knowledge of the market, both as a supplier and a buyer. I just cannot tell you what's in that roadmap!

As I postedin a completely different forum, absence of evidence (a new Pi) is not evidence of absence (we know what's needed and how to do it)
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

stuartiannaylor

Tue May 14, 2019 10:23 pm

Heater wrote:
stuartiannaylor,

I can understand you wanting pink ponies.
Each to their own I guess.

Gavinmc42

Tue May 14, 2019 11:48 pm

I can understand you wanting pink ponies.
No, no, "pink unicorns" is the code word to lock a post, it's not "pink ponies".

It seems the high end wish list for Pi's is "I wish it was a PC".
When the Pi4 comes out and sells 100Million, "I wish the Pi5 is a bigger, faster PC".

At what point is the Pi worth it?
Er, I think we past that point 7-8years ago.
It was worth it back then and is still worth it.
The "worth" depend on the user's opinion.
Too many people equate "opinion" for truth and "belief" with facts.

Backwards compatibility are only for those scared of the future.
Why does it have to be 100% compatible, the existing versions have support until 2023 or so?
If makers and users cannot modify a bit of source code by then or figure out how to use the new one then perhaps they should change careers.
Or use Compute modules, hmm wonder what the Pi4 computes will have, whoops off track like normal.

If you think about the future, the Pi4 will be the compatibility driver as many, many, many more of those will be sold.
I have no idea how RPF can ramp up production to 10Million/month which is what the Pi4 could do by the 2nd year.
Apart from the baremetal guys , who will do whatever they want anyway, most software should just port with maybe some driver/library changes if the hardware is too radically changed.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

W. H. Heydt

Wed May 15, 2019 1:34 am

I think the Pi4 is actually a Rorschach Test. It tells one more about the person posting about what it "must" have than it does about any real or imagined hardware that has the faintest chance of being built.

As such, there is not now, nor ever will be a "Pi4". It's all in your mind.

jamesh

Wed May 15, 2019 9:23 am

Gavinmc42 wrote:

Why does it have to be 100% compatible, the existing versions have support until 2023 or so?
If makers and users cannot modify a bit of source code by then or figure out how to use the new one then perhaps they should change careers.
Or use Compute modules, hmm wonder what the Pi4 computes will have, whoops off track like normal.

If you think about the future, the Pi4 will be the compatibility driver as many, many, many more of those will be sold.
I have no idea how RPF can ramp up production to 10Million/month which is what the Pi4 could do by the 2nd year.
Apart from the baremetal guys , who will do whatever they want anyway, most software should just port with maybe some driver/library changes if the hardware is too radically changed.
Backward compatibility is one reason we have sold so many. So I disagree with your assessment. We have 7 years worth of software AND documentation/tutorials that could go straight down the dunny if we broke backwards compability in a big way. People right now can buy a new model and expect that most of their existing 'stuff' will still work. Although you shouldn't underestimate the amount of work required in "some driver/library changes", looks at the time taken to get the 4.19 kernel out of the door...

We can currently make about 5M devices a year or thereabouts. Ramping to vastly higher volumes would require big investment, multiple new production lines. Pi4 will be good, very good, but 120M a year is rather optimisitic....

piglet

Wed May 15, 2019 10:58 am

*tries and fails to resist any posting of Pi4*

Well, if Pi4 comes with significantly more processing power and backwards capability then it opens up a massive additional market for low power desktop use for which the 3B+ struggles, while keeping everyone in the current market (possibly other than those who need very low power use requirements but reasonable compute power).

If this happens 5M a year production capability looks problematic! You thought the rush for previous models was high demand? Ha!

Whatever is being built and whenever it comes I look forward to it. I've been a keen advocate of the Pi and foundation goals since the first pi prototype information came out ...

Burngate

Wed May 15, 2019 11:13 am

Gavinmc42 wrote:
I don't believe I'm scared of the future, but I also don't want to send last year's model to landfill just because there's a bright new shiny in the shops.

hippy

Wed May 15, 2019 11:29 am

Gavinmc42 wrote:
At what point is the Pi worth it?
Er, I think we past that point 7-8years ago.
July 2014 IMO. When the B+ launched. I'm not dismissing the value the original Pi's had but, for people like me, that was when the Pi became worth buying, became something far more than it had been. The B+ satisfied most people's "I'll buy it when..." conditions. That was the tipping point IMO when the Pi moved from "it's good, but..." to becoming a "must have".

Andyroo

Wed May 15, 2019 11:42 am

Burngate wrote:
I don't believe I'm scared of the future, but I also don't want to send last year's model to landfill just because there's a bright new shiny in the shops.
Why landfill it - do you think the Pi 4 (or 5 or 6 etc) will come with a court order to do so or auto magically stop the old ones working?

Landfill them when they no longer work or you cannot find anyone (including yourself) that cannot make use of them :D
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

rpdom

Wed May 15, 2019 12:12 pm

Putting your Pi in landfill is illegal (in the UK/EU at least) under the WEEE laws. It should go in your waste electrical recycling.

DarkPlatinum

Wed May 15, 2019 12:41 pm

Burngate wrote:
Gavinmc42 wrote:
Tell me which landfill it is going to and i will grab it. Otherwise you can send it to me to look after it with TLC.
1 * Raspberry Pi Zero W, 1 * Raspberry Pi 2, 1 * Raspberry Pi 3 1 * Raspberry Pi 3B + :mrgreen:

Check Out My Raspberry Site (Run on a Raspberry Pi 3B :) ): https://html.dynu.net

Heater

Wed May 15, 2019 1:52 pm

rpdom,
Putting your Pi in landfill is illegal (in the UK/EU at least) under the WEEE laws. It should go in your waste electrical recycling.
That's OK. That is so that the "recyclers" can make good money off us for collecting junk. After we have carefully sorted it for them. It ends up in a landfill anyway at the end of the line.

davidcoton

Wed May 15, 2019 3:45 pm

DarkPlatinum wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 12:41 pm
you can send it to me to look after it with TLC.
Actually, we can't. Your location is "Unknown".
Signature retired

Return to “Off topic discussion”