BurningShadow

Headless install

Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:00 pm

I'm sorry if the answer is already out there, but I haven't been able to find it.

I'm sick and tired of raspbian trashing the data on my SD card, so I want to try something else (already tried 2 SD cards, in 2 Pi Zero, and 1 Pi 3B+). Debian could be it. Is there a way to do a headless install, like there is with raspbian?

And, does Debian actually work, or is it just more of the same?

epoch1970

Re: Headless install

Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:36 pm

Raspbian is a (very) close cousin to Debian...
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

lpsw

Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:33 pm

Why do you think Raspian is at fault?
That would be a bug.

Much more likely causes for data corruption:
1) Power. Poor power supply (don't use a charger), or loss of power at an unfortunate time.
2) SD card. Lots of fake/poor quality cards out there.
Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is - Isaac Asimov

jahboater

Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:40 pm

BurningShadow wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:00 pm
And, does Debian actually work, or is it just more of the same?
You wont gain anything by using Debian, Raspbian is based on Debian.
I have had many Pi's over many years, with five running 24/7, and Rasbian does not trash my SD cards.

BurningShadow

Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:05 pm

Ok, thanks for the answers, I won't bother try Debian then.

Yes, my power supply works. I already checked that, as it looks like the most common issue. Same supply worked for more than a year, when powering a C.H.I.P. with an external HDD.
It's a SanDisk card. Got quite a few of them, works for everything else, incl. my DSLR and my handheld mic.

jahboater

Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:11 pm

BurningShadow wrote:
Yes, my power supply works. I already checked that, as it looks like the most common issue. Same supply worked for more than a year, when powering a C.H.I.P. with an external HDD.
How did you check that it works? Just because it powered something else means nothing.
Try this

Code: Select all

vcgencmd get_throttled
If it says anything other than zero (0x0) you should investigate why.
The usual suggestion is just buy the "official" PSU. Its cheap, well engineered, and designed specifically for the purpose.
BurningShadow wrote:
It's a SanDisk card. Got quite a few of them, works for everything else, incl. my DSLR and my handheld mic.
Sandisk cards are good, I use Sandisk A1 and A2 class cards all time now with never a problem.
Again, an operating system is very different from a camera. It typically requires lots of random small block (4k) access.

Return to “Debian”