John_Spikowski

Re: ScriptBasic

Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:56 pm

My splitters (HDMI & USB) arrived today. Time for some fun building the Raspberry Pi Development Center.
🥧🕸

John_Spikowski

Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:26 am

Getting tanked. My 3B+'s new home.
Attachments
RPi_Tank.jpg
RPi_Tank.jpg (200.42 KiB) Viewed 3106 times

Heater

Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:01 am

That is one cool looking tank!
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

John_Spikowski

Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:11 am

Best part is C code is available which makes ScriptBasic a candidate as a scripting engine.

Schools should buy these to teach kids robotics and then turn them into an army of active shooter hunters. Just a thought. 8-)

It might be fun designing a shell body for the tank and 3D print it.

My front door has clear glass center so it might be fun to have the tank answer the door if someone knocks. God peddlers beware!
😁
Last edited by John_Spikowski on Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John_Spikowski

Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:22 am

My hope is I can run scripts as threads and make decisions more fluid.

John_Spikowski

Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:40 am

This looks like it could be a cool tank upgrade.

John_Spikowski

Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:18 pm

My additional HDMI cables arrived today and I was able to assemble my RPi's (0, 3B, 4B) and Windows laptop with the HDMI and USB splitters. I'm really happy how it works. My Linux laptop provides the Samba network with a shared drive and HP printer. It will also provide SQL and Apache server.

Pi Tank arrived today as well.

John_Spikowski

Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:24 am

I was able to get the workstation looking somewhat presentable.

A nice feature is if I turn on one of the RPi's, both HDMI and USB switch to it automatically.

John_Spikowski

Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:10 pm

I was looking at the repository for the Pi Tank and happy to discover the C code provided is using WiringPi. Since I already have the WiringPi extension module working, ScriptBasic is looking like a good fit for this project.

I'm seriously thinking about picking up the WiringPi project as a maintainer and facilitator if Gordon is throwing in the towel.

John_Spikowski

Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:45 am

Building this RPi Tank reminds me of when I built my Heathkit PDP-11 and paper tape reader/punch in 1976 without the soldering iron.

John_Spikowski

Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:58 am

I'm looking forward to playing with the tanks mapping feature and using ScriptBasic's free form matrix functionality to add AI features to the code. I wonder if the SQL DB and language would assist in a AI direction?

It's interesting that there is two source trees for the 3B+ and 4B. I wonder what the 4B offers that the 3B+ doesn't.
Last edited by John_Spikowski on Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZXDunny

Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:37 pm

John_Spikowski wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:58 am
I wonder what the 4B offers that the 3B+ doesn't.
The image provided for both is basically just an image of the OS that runs on the Pi - you burn it to the uSD card. So the Pi4B version will have a different kernel (3B software is incompatible with 4Bs). Other than that, I doubt there's any difference between them, functionality-wise.

John_Spikowski

Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:29 pm

Hi D,

I was referring to the 2 C code branches.

I could do a diff and answer my own question.

John_Spikowski

Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:25 am

Before I get too far down the road with this ScriptBasic controlled RPi Tank project, I think I will create a new thread for it. I'll create it on the Automation sensing and robotics board.

I'm looking for a Python pro that would like to maintain the the Python branch of the code. I'm guessing there is already a substantial resource of robotics, AI and autonomous libraries that could be adapted to the project.

John_Spikowski

Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:31 am

There hasn't been any interest in this project maybe due to the cost of the RPi Tank. I see this as a great way to learn robotics at a cost I can afford. Icing is I can use ScriptBasic as my engine.

I'll follow up with an update once my tank is built and I have the C code converted to ScriptBasic. I'm going for a SSH / WIFI interface for the first round.

It might take me a bit to get the tank to do back flips.
😊

John_Spikowski

Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:04 pm

I got a new Lenovo laptop a few months back as a Windows 10 development box. It is much faster than my old Gateway laptop currently running Ubuntu 64 bit. (19.04)

I picked up a fast external USB-C SSD drive and installed Ubuntu on it. Pressing F12 at boot time gives me the option to boot the internal or external drive.

Other than a few minor persistence issues LIVE runs pretty much the same as an installed version but portable. It connects to my Samba network so I can easily move files around.

jcyr

Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:57 pm

John_Spikowski wrote:
I got a new Lenovo laptop a few months back as a Windows 10 development box. It is much faster than my old Gateway laptop currently running Ubuntu 64 bit. (19.04)

I picked up a fast external USB-C SSD drive and installed Ubuntu on it. Pressing F12 at boot time gives me the option to boot the internal or external drive.

Other than a few minor persistence issues LIVE runs pretty much the same as an installed version but portable. It connects to my Samba network so I can easily move files around.
Why not just dual boot?

or

Run Ubuntu in a Hyper-V VM? (my laptop has two SSDs, and I dedicate one to the VM, so no performance loss)
It's um...uh...well it's kinda like...and it's got a bit of...

Airr

Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:47 am

jcyr wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:57 pm

Why not just dual boot?

or

Run Ubuntu in a Hyper-V VM? (my laptop has two SSDs, and I dedicate one to the VM, so no performance loss)
The VM approach is more flexible, and I recommend going that route.

I use VMWare (Desktop or Player [free] for Windows, and Fusion for macOS) and with my Samsung T5 (USB-C) I can move from OS host to OS host with no issues. Plus I can also virtualize different OS versions (including macOS) for some of my development needs/validation and with judicious use of snapshots, I can always roll back to a working OS if I (or an OS update) mess something up.

@John: Since you're a long time VirtualBox user, this might be something worth exploring...

AIR.

John_Spikowski

Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:49 am

Welcome back AIR!

I think I would go dual boot with a Ubuntu install before going back to VirtualBox again. I plan to use it as a clean Linux system for testing with 16 GB and 8 cores running at 1.8 ghz.

Sandisk isn't lying. This SSD is lightning fast.

This is the fastest I've seen ScriptBasic build from scratch. (9.44 seconds) That's building headers, docs extension modules, interpreter, webserver and the interpreter as a shared object.

I just realized nothing is being saved and when rebooted it returns to a generic LIVE install. I'm going dual boot even though I didn't want to touch my Windows C drive.

THIS looks like a possible solution without doing dual boot.

FYI

Both Windows programs I tried to create the LIVE disk wouldn't create the persistent storage. I hope the Linux mkusb utility has better luck.
Last edited by John_Spikowski on Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

ejolson

Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:10 pm

John_Spikowski wrote:

With an external SSD you don't need to run a live version of Linux. Instead, make a standard install onto the external HD. The only trick is to make sure grub installs itself on the external SSD--not the drive with Windows. Then F12 should still allow you to select which drive to boot.

John_Spikowski

Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:56 pm

Do you have a link that explains how to do that?

I kind of like the idea of a portable Linux on a USB SSD.

Thanks!

John_Spikowski

Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:39 am

The mkusb Linux utility did its job and created a persistent LIVE USB SSD for me. It's portable and has a Windows accessible partition to store and transfer files among OS platforms.

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~$ df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev            7.8G     0  7.8G   0% /dev
tmpfs           1.6G  1.8M  1.6G   1% /run
/dev/sda4       2.0G  2.0G     0 100% /cdrom
/dev/loop0      1.9G  1.9G     0 100% /rofs
/cow            343G  128M  325G   1% /
tmpfs           7.8G     0  7.8G   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs           5.0M  4.0K  5.0M   1% /run/lock
tmpfs           7.8G     0  7.8G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs           7.8G     0  7.8G   0% /tmp
tmpfs           1.6G   28K  1.6G   1% /run/user/999
/dev/sda5       343G  128M  325G   1% /media/ubuntu/casper-rw
/dev/sda1       116G   93M  116G   1% /media/ubuntu/usbdata
[email protected]:~$ 
The usbdata partition will be formatted with the NTFS file system. It will be accessible to Linux, Windows, and macOS. This partition is also available from within the live Ubuntu on the USB drive. This means any files copied to the usbdatapartition from another computer will be accessible to your live Ubuntu.

ejolson

Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:20 pm

John_Spikowski wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:39 am
The mkusb Linux utility did its job and created a persistent LIVE USB SSD for me.
It looks like you have a good solution.

To make a standard install on an external USB HD, simply plug the HD into the computer, insert the installation disk (or thumb drive), boot the installation media and then tell the install program to install Linux to the external HD. When it asks where to install grub, specify the external HD again. To make the HD cleanly portable between computers, you may also want to skip the automatic detection of additional operating systems in grub update, as the internal drives where those are installed won't be available as you move the drive to a different machine.

I wonder how hard it would be to set up a portable USB drive with Raspberry Pi desktop for x86 computers?

John_Spikowski

Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:33 pm

I wonder how hard it would be to set up a portable USB drive with Raspberry Pi desktop for x86 computers?
I'm happy to report that personalized setting like WIFI and browser history are retained with the persistent LIVE USB portable Linux. I think I found a good solution to match what my goals were.

LIVE was able to UPDATE itself under the persistent model. That included a new kernel as well.

I connent it to my old Ubuntu laptop as a standard USB and copy my ScriptBasic development and example files to the NTFS userdata partition and they are available when I go back LIVE.
Attachments
LIVE_Update.png
LIVE_Update.png (13.78 KiB) Viewed 2526 times

John_Spikowski

Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:41 pm

I tried to do an upgrade from 19.04 to 19.10 and it failed leaving the USB drive unbootable. It seems fine doing updates in the same release

Started over with 19.10.

Return to “Other programming languages”