thepiman

using the RPi as a plex media server?

Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:47 am

Hello All,

I have been interested in turning my Rpi into a Plex media server and then having an external HDD connected. This would then be able to communicate with my roku to stream content. I have done some research and found the following but every time I try to install it cannot locate the package:

First Time install

Code: Select all

sudo echo "deb http://shell.ninthgate.se/packages/debian squeeze main" >> /etc/apt/sources.list
sudo curl http://shell.ninthgate.se/packages/shell-ninthgate-se-keyring.key | sudo apt-key add -
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install plexmediaserver
Link:

http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/51427-plex-media-server-for-debian/
Is it possible to port this for the Rpi ?

Thanks,
Thepiman
ThePiMan - "Oh Yeah"

caderoux

Re: using the RPi as a plex media server?

Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:07 am

Plex is not open source, so getting a version of the server (or the player) is completely dependent upon the Plex company. They DO have ARM versions for some of the NAS appliances, but it is my understanding that they don't do transcoding very well because of the processor power required.

A number of other ARM appliances are in the same boat, so hopefully we'll see some action on that front.

Corndork2

Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:31 pm

Like others have said Plex is closed source.

I use, and have used Plex on a variety of hardware. I have had problems with it on light weight systems.

I honestly dont think a RPi would be able to handle the service very well, however, please do not let that discourage you. Its still a nice proof of concept, however I would be worried about acceptable performance.

thepiman

Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:49 pm

I am now looking at putting fedora on the pi then installing the fedora plex server software on top of it.
Last edited by thepiman on Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThePiMan - "Oh Yeah"

caderoux

Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:57 pm

thepiman wrote:I am more looking at putting fedora on the pi then installing the fedora plex server software on top of it.
There are not currently any ARM binaries for any flavor of real Linux; there are two ARM installs for some of the NASes, but that's it - the Linux binaries are all for Intel.

thepiman

Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:00 pm

So even if I use the Fedora remix 17 I will not be able to install the Plex software ?
ThePiMan - "Oh Yeah"

ghans

Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:11 pm

Yes.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

thepiman

Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:15 pm

I found a plex release for ARM processors. Might be worth a look as it might be an easy fix to port ?
Link:

http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/40427-forum-test-packges-plex-media-server-for-linux-arm/
ThePiMan - "Oh Yeah"

caderoux

Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:29 pm

Yeah, I follow that thread.

People have gotten some headway using ArchLinux on the Pi.

Again, any "porting" is going to be under the control of the Plex company. There is no source code to be had for anyone outside that company to port. So either the binary can be made to work with some configuration changes or it can't. Only Plex can realistically compile new binaries.

If you want activity on this, your only real option is to make noise on their forum and direct people from here to raise it over there.

Conceivably, the RPi can be used as both a server AND a client because it has the video codec in the GPU and the HDMI out; as long as all the media is appropriately pre-encoded for the RPi's codec (http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/1839). So it seems like a good platform choice.

thepiman

Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:08 pm

Lets hope if people press them they will work on a release for the platform.
ThePiMan - "Oh Yeah"

thepiman

Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:06 pm

A Rpi owner has got the plex media server installed on the pi using Arch Linux. The only issue is it will not add content and when you try to scan for content you get a "Segmentation Fault"

Getting one step closer everyday! Hopefully it will be out soon!!!
ThePiMan - "Oh Yeah"

boomhaueruk

Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:43 am

I'd be interested in doing this too. Any links to that forum?

ikwyl6

Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:36 am

Is there an alternative to plex? I just want to server music/audio to my iPhone.

ghans

Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:10 am

Your requirements are a bit vague ... both Squeezeplug and
XBMC distros support Airplay , for example.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

ikwyl6

Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:44 am

I am aware of AirPlay.

What I want is to be able to listen to music that is hosted on my RPi and play/stream this music my iPhone. This would be either if I am on my
Home network or outside of my home network (3G).

ghans

Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:32 am

Use a VPN perhaps ?
Or Subsonic.

ghans

u6s68

Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:15 pm

Any updates on the OP's question?

ghans

Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:08 pm

The Plex Media Server does NOT run on the Raspberry Pi. Only Plex themselves can change that , and i guess THEY see
no (commercial) value in that.

ghans

Return to “Networking and servers”