hortimech

Re: Sharing an existing folder using Samba

Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:43 pm

mikerr wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:57 am
jamesh wrote:I'd be happy to accept a pull request on changes to the docs in this area.
hortimech wrote:And I would be quite willing to totally rewrite your Samba page, just not on git-hub, we left there and went to git-lab.

I am a member of the Samba team and I have been trying, for some time, to point out to the Rpi team that their Samba page isn't correct and all I get is 'use git-hub'. I will not use git-hub, well not after Microsoft bought it.
Opposed to github on principle ?
I just submitted a pull request to the Rpi docs to get it fixed, assuming the share was meant to be fully public (guest ok).
The whole page is full of errors and needs rewriting, I have offered to do this, but I will not do it on git-hub, I cancelled my membership shortly after Microsoft bought it, so registering again isn't going to happen.

If rpi would like me rewrite its Samba page, they only have to ask, but it will be written in the form of a text document, what they do with it after that is their problem.

andreathome

Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:20 pm

When you want to use the shared disk outside your home via the internet, consider the use of webdav via https/port 443.
Some ftp clients can do webdav too. Or via command-line.
Suggestion how to realize:
https://www.instructables.com/id/Apache ... av-Server/

It is quite similar how many servers can be reached via www in a safe way, much safer than ftp and you can mount it as it is a local drive.
Give it a thought when you go ""outside".
Do not forget the port forwarding.....

mikerr

Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:51 pm

hortimech wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:43 pm
The whole page is full of errors and needs rewriting, I have offered to do this, but I will not do it on git-hub[...]

If rpi would like me rewrite its Samba page, they only have to ask, but it will be written in the form of a text document
Please post it here or a link to somewhere with it rewritten /corrected, and someone (maybe me) can do a github edit without you having to...
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

Return to “Beginners”