Calleb91

Widevine for Chromium or Firefox

Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:50 pm

Hi,

I don't want to bother with question that was discussed many times before but I hope that there is some more development on this issue because I was not able to solve it myself. Anyway sorry in advance but I am fairly new to the Raspberry world...

For about a week I am trying to somehow deal with the issue that I cannot play any content from HBO Go with my Raspberry Pi 3B+. I purchased this Raspberry exclusively for my TV because it seemed to me that this is a very simple and elegant way of making my TV a multimedia center.

I started naturally with OSMC/KODI but quickly realized that this might be a good way to access Youtube but not so good for HBO Go or Netflix. Based on this fact I also added standard Raspbian OS though NOOBS but I am still not able to play any content on HBO Go.
I am able to play videos on i.e. Youtube (only with Chromium not Firefox) so I figured that the flash must already be part of the Chromium browser and this must be somehow connected to the DRM.

Looking at my standard laptop I can see that for example in Firefox there is a Widevine DRM plugin installed but I cannot see anything on the Raspberry. I bet this is the problem why I cannot play any content from HBO Go.

Is there any way how to install the Widevine DRM plugin to Chromium or Firefox so I can watch the HBO Go on Raspberry?
Thank you very much for your help.

topguy

Re: Widevine for Chromium or Firefox

Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:32 pm

The recently released Kodi 18 has Widevine so there are working Amazon and Netflix plugins as far as I know. ( I'm guessing both LibreElec and OSMC has this supported for their Pi releases )

HBO Go is mentioned here in a very recent post on the kodi forums: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=338329

If you put "widevine" in the search box here on the forum, you should get an idea if there are solutions for Chrome/Firefox.

fruitoftheloom

Re: Widevine for Chromium or Firefox

Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:29 pm

topguy wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:32 pm
The recently released Kodi 18 has Widevine so there are working Amazon and Netflix plugins as far as I know. ( I'm guessing both LibreElec and OSMC has this supported for their Pi releases )

HBO Go is mentioned here in a very recent post on the kodi forums: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=338329

If you put "widevine" in the search box here on the forum, you should get an idea if there are solutions for Chrome/Firefox.

+1 install Kodi from the Raspbian Stretch repositories and as above stated you will have support.

If you decide that chromium-browser or firefox is preferable you will find much information is now out of date...........
The information is out there....you just have to let it in.

My other Linux machines: ChromeBox
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32966393971.html
& Stone Desktop Intel CoreDuo circa 2010

Return to “Troubleshooting”