burnedfaceless

Pi not connecting to internet when plugged directly into Ethernet

Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:36 pm

I am trying to create a router out of my pi. I'm following the steps listed here https://killtacknine.com/building-an-ub ... nterfaces/.

When I plug my Raspberry Pi 3 B+ directly into the modem it does not connect to WiFi. However when I have it plugged into a router it does connect to WiFi.

Any idea why this is?

neilgl

Re: Pi not connecting to internet when plugged directly into Ethernet

Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:08 pm

His article is using Ubuntu - are you using that or Raspbian?

pcmanbob

Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:20 pm

burnedfaceless wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:36 pm

When I plug my Raspberry Pi 3 B+ directly into the modem it does not connect to WiFi. However when I have it plugged into a router it does connect to WiFi.

Any idea why this is?
Hi.

A modem and a router are 2 different things .

A modem will normally just do the connection from the ADSL or broadband to a single LAN port , there will be no network switch or Wi-Fi on a modem.

A router on the other hand will have a modem, a network switch and most probably Wi-Fi, so it will not only do the connection between the ADSL or broadband but also provide several LAN ports and Wi-Fi connection options.

So the first thing you need to decide is exactly what are you trying to connect the pi to.

Then you need to select a tutorial that is not only pi based but uses an OS that is available for install on the pi.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

burnedfaceless

Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:59 pm

It doesn't matter if I use Ubuntu 18.04 or if I use Raspbian.

Whatever operating system I use - I do not get any network connection by plugging directly into the modem.

I only get network connectivity when I plug into a router.

Could it be possible that my modem is not assigning the pi an IP Address? Please help me trouble shoot this so I can plug my Pi directly into my modem's ethernet connection.

PeterO

Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:02 pm

What make/model are you modem and router ?
PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

pcmanbob

Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:23 pm

Its possible that your modem does not dynamically provide an IP address , but only provides an IP address to a connected device on power up.

So you could try powering down the modem and the pi then power up the modem then power the pi once the modem has completed its start up.

but you should probably just read the manual for the particular modem you are using.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

burnedfaceless

Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:52 pm

pcmanbob wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:23 pm
Its possible that your modem does not dynamically provide an IP address , but only provides an IP address to a connected device on power up.

So you could try powering down the modem and the pi then power up the modem then power the pi once the modem has completed its start up.

but you should probably just read the manual for the particular modem you are using.
This worked. Thank you.

Return to “Beginners”