Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: We've opened a shop!

Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:47 pm

rpdom wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:46 am
DarkPlatinum wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:28 am
I see many people ask what the limit is... But what I don't understand is what they can do with so many Pi Zeros.
A lot of things. :-)
Or the same thing, lots of times.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

ejolson

Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:08 pm

rpdom wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:46 am
DarkPlatinum wrote:
I see many people ask what the limit is... But what I don't understand is what they can do with so many Pi Zeros.
A lot of things. :-)
One of the distinctive things about a Pi Zero, aside from its small size, is the possibility to use it by connecting it to another computer with a single USB cable. Because the Zero doesn't consume much electricity the USB port on the other computer acts as a sufficient power source; because the Zero can work as a gadget the USB cable also functions as a network cable.

For a robot, the Zero allows for a distributed processing approach without dealing with arduinos on one hand or bulky Ethernet switches on the other. For a video wall, multiple Zeros connected through USB is a way to play HD video on many monitors at the same time. For experiments in parallel processing, Zeros can be used to construct a super-cheap cluster. A Zero W can also be used as a combination physical firewall and WiFi dongle for a Windows XP computer. For a programming class, a Zero can be plugged into any Windows computer with a single USB cable and accessed through RealVNC.

As already mentioned, all of the above uses depend on the distinct Zero property of being able to be powered through a standard USB data cable that is also used for networking. No other model of Pi has this feature.

k-pi

Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:21 pm

Congrats - I wish the venture every success. :)

(Looking forward to seeing the keyboard & mouse becoming available.)

W. H. Heydt

Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:12 pm

DarkPlatinum wrote:
Gavinmc42 wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:25 am
What is the limit of the number of Zero's you can buy?
Oh ye of little imagination. I have one that is an NTP server. Another displays funny sayings. A couple more drive electronic name badges. Pretty much anything you can think where the small size is an advantage or needed, low power (such as battery powered) is desired, and where the CPU limitations aren't an issue.

DarkPlatinum

Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:12 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
DarkPlatinum wrote:
Gavinmc42 wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:25 am
What is the limit of the number of Zero's you can buy?
Oh ye of little imagination. I have one that is an NTP server. Another displays funny sayings. A couple more drive electronic name badges. Pretty much anything you can think where the small size is an advantage or needed, low power (such as battery powered) is desired, and where the CPU limitations aren't an issue.
Maybe I keep thinking powah.. I have 4 Pi in my house, but finding a use for each one is not easy (3 are currently in use luckily); not many power sockets around the house, meaning would have to unplug the pi when I need to vacuum.
1 * Raspberry Pi Zero W, 1 * Raspberry Pi 2, 1 * Raspberry Pi 3 1 * Raspberry Pi 3B + :mrgreen:

Check Out My Raspberry Site (Run on a Raspberry Pi 3B :) ): https://html.dynu.net

W. H. Heydt

Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:28 pm

DarkPlatinum wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:
DarkPlatinum wrote:

Maybe I keep thinking powah.. I have 4 Pi in my house, but finding a use for each one is not easy (3 are currently in use luckily); not many power sockets around the house, meaning would have to unplug the pi when I need to vacuum.
I suggest: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00086428/ from Ikea.

DarkPlatinum

Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:23 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:28 pm
DarkPlatinum wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:

I suggest: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00086428/ from Ikea.
I already have multiple extenders. Each bedroom (3 bedroom) has extenders as well as the kitchen. I don't only have Pi in the house, gotta power everyday needs; kettle, computer, internet, home phone, etc
1 * Raspberry Pi Zero W, 1 * Raspberry Pi 2, 1 * Raspberry Pi 3 1 * Raspberry Pi 3B + :mrgreen:

Check Out My Raspberry Site (Run on a Raspberry Pi 3B :) ): https://html.dynu.net

raymate

Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:07 pm

Congrats, now who else want's to go just to get the mouse and keyboard.... :lol: or will normal distributors be able to to sell them at some point ?

Please

jahboater

Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:09 pm

Another review ...
(cooler than the Apple store!)

https://techcrunch.com/2019/02/07/the-r ... ple-store/

Heater

Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:07 pm

Oh my God. Techcrunch wants to own me:

We (Oath) and our partner need permission to use your device, set cookies and use your information (including location)

They want to "use my device". Be serious. They are not even honest enough to say who they are, Oath = Verizon. They obviously chose the name to dupe people int thinking it's OAuth.

Probably better not to post links to techcrunch in the future.

Roken

Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:41 pm

Typical. Daahn Souf gets stuff us oop North dont. I want a Pi shop in Warrington, or at least in Manchester. Make it easier to spend my hard earned.
Headless PI. OMG, someone cut it's head off. Oh, hang on. it didn't have one to start with.

hippy

Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:15 pm

Roken wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:41 pm
Typical. Daahn Souf gets stuff us oop North dont.
I'd love to have somewhere near which sells decent meat and potato pies, proper full-sized oven-bottom muffins, and parkin all year round.

Most people don't get any of that, nor a Pi shop.

davidcoton

Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:48 pm

I finally got to visit the shop this morning! Great range of stock, the RPT stuff of course, plus Adafruit, Pimoroni, and Pi Hut, and more.

Unfortunately no edible pie -- a cup of coffee and a slice of Raspberry Pie would have gone down well :lol:
Signature retired

Return to “General discussion”