fieldho

Raspberry and AUDACITY audio.

Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:25 pm

I would like to assemble something that I could use on my home studio desk that could use [Audacity is a free and open-source digital audio editor and recording application software,/i]. I have extra monitors and other I/O equipment but do not wish to use a full size PC to monitor one program. Could I use a Raspberry PI as a recording monitor with minimal latency while recording tracks? I'm not fully acquainted with Raspberry's limitations but I am aware of Audacity's compatibility with linux. I'm new to Raspberry PI but am very interested in it's uses. :idea: :idea:

pcmanbob

Re: Raspberry and AUDACITY audio.

Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:22 pm

Hi.

Running Audacity on the pi is possible, installing it is just a matter of running

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install audacity
But no pi has an audio input so you would need to add a USB audio input device of some sort,

example : https://thepihut.com/products/usb-audio-adapter

I guess then it would just be a matter of setting up Audacity to monitor the audio inputs. I have no idea how you would actually accomplish this as I have not used Audacity that much.
Last edited by pcmanbob on Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

drgeoff

Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:35 pm

Depending on what you mean by "monitor", Audacity could be a steamroller to crack a walnut.

fieldho

Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:15 am

I guess my best bet would be to pick up a box and mobo only deal and go from there. The box I had for recording blew the MOBO so I was toying with the idea of something different. I saved memory, CPU, graphic card and DVD writer from old unit.
I appreciate all the input but, money wise, I think I'll do better to get a used box and load it with linex for the Audacity function.

Return to “Beginners”