ThomasvH

Using the bit clock of my Khadas Tonr Board (an usb dac)

Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:53 pm

Dear members,

I was wondering, is there a way I could use the internal clock of my USB dac instead of the clock on the Raspberry Pi.

The big advantage of my USB dac is that it has a very decent build in clock, I would like to use that bit clock instead of the one on the Raspberry.

Does anyone know it this is possible?

Andyroo

Re: Using the bit clock of my Khadas Tonr Board (an usb dac)

Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:53 pm

Not sure why you would want to do this as the Pi clock is synced to time servers on the net and can be resync’d with a simple CRON command.

One other thing - are you sure the ‘clock’ is an actual hours/min/sec type and not a crystal timebase for the conversion?
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

Heater

Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:49 am

He does not mean any kind of hours/mins/seconds wall clock, he means just the clock oscillator signal on the DAC board.

Anything is possible I guess but if you have to ask it suggests you do not have the skills to do it. It would not be trivial. You would probably end up destroying the Pi and the DAC board.

In what way would using that clock, or any external clock signal, make the Pi noticeably better?

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:17 pm

If you're using it as a USB DAC then it'll be using the clock on the board to drive the DAC.

If you're meaning https://www.khadas.com/product-page/tone-board, then it looks like it only breaks out the I2S from a Pi onto a connector. There's no apparent way to break the connection from the XU208 USB interface to the ES9038 DAC.
A quick search doesn't seem to bring up a Linux kernel driver for the ESS chip anyway.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

Return to “General discussion”