elsmandino

Advice on using Pi as TVHeadend headless backend.

Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:36 pm

Hello.

I have just been looking into the possibility of using the latest raspberry Pi for recording, with TVHeadend.

I am curious as to how TVHeadend affects the SD card, used for the Operating System.

Does TVHeadend constantly write to the card (with EPG updates, schedule updates etc.) or does it run entirely in RAM?

noggin

Re: Advice on using Pi as TVHeadend headless backend.

Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:14 am

elsmandino wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:36 pm
Hello.

I have just been looking into the possibility of using the latest raspberry Pi for recording, with TVHeadend.

I am curious as to how TVHeadend affects the SD card, used for the Operating System.

Does TVHeadend constantly write to the card (with EPG updates, schedule updates etc.) or does it run entirely in RAM?
There's a pretty good TV Headend forum at tvheadend.org who may be a good bunch to ask.

I''ve run TV Headend as a back-end on a number of systems (some Pi, some other SBCs like the ODroid HC-1) and have had no major issues with SD card damage. YMMV.

If you are adding a USB 2.0 external drive for recording storage, you may find you can either run Raspbian etc. from that drive (newer Pis support USB boot) or run from a MicroSD boot card with the bulk of the OS on the external storage?

itsmedoofer

Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:06 pm

Hi,

I have it running headless and from what I have seen it does not overly hammer the SD card, the info for the EPG guide is not huge anyway, I suppose if you are going to use it for recording or time shifting then that could be a different matter, and then an HDD could be a far better choice.

I have it running on the same server as my VPN and ADS-B receiver, so far I'm on 70 days up-time, the card has been in constant use for about a year... Have a go, small SDs are practically given away nowadays...

elsmandino

Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:08 pm

Thanks for that, guys - much appreciated.

I am going to give it a whirl and see how I get on.

Return to “Media centres”