3y3p4tchp3t3

NoIR v2 interfaced directly to 720P display

Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:41 am

I am completely new to Raspberry Pi, though I do have some programming background with Arduino. I'm looking for a minimalist approach to interfacing the NoIR v2 camera directly as possible to a 720p display. At this time I am considering using the Raspberry Pi Zero - Version 1.3 to convert the NoIR camera feed to HDMI output, then feeding that output into a device that contains a pair of 720p displays. First of all, is the Zero model capable of doing this? And second, can anyone recommend a more direct way to interface this particular camera with a display? Ideally, I'm looking for an interface PCB that will operate one camera and one display, hopefully about the size of the Zero or smaller. Does anyone know of a company that can produce custom PCB's for such a purpose? I will acquire the display device soon, but so far I don't have a datasheet or model number for the displays in the unit.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: NoIR v2 interfaced directly to 720P display

Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:03 am

That would be fine - plug in the camera, plug display into the HDMI port. Run `raspistill -t 0`, done.

For 2 displays, https://www.amazon.co.uk/Splitter-Xbox3 ... B00LM4IJ60
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

3y3p4tchp3t3

Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:11 pm

jamesh wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:03 am
That would be fine - plug in the camera, plug display into the HDMI port. Run `raspistill -t 0`, done.

For 2 displays, https://www.amazon.co.uk/Splitter-Xbox3 ... B00LM4IJ60
Thank you for the prompt reply, but I think I need to explain further. I'm working on a set of night vision goggles. First (now that I put more thought into it and studied up a bit), I plan to connect the NoIR v2 cam to a Pi Zero and run the HDMI output of the Pi Zero directly into a set of Eyezone 720P HD FPV LCoS Goggles. This will be an initial working prototype that will require no modifications to the goggles, and I think I'll incorporate a Pimoroni Enviro pHAT with a HUD overlay for good measure. I'm pretty sure I can find enough instruction online to pull this together. Is the Pi Zero capable of working with the Enviro pHAT and producing a HUD overlay while maintaining 720p HDMI output at a steady 60fps from the NoIR v2 feed?

For phase two, I plan to have a pair of NoIR v2 cams feeding as directly as possible into their respective LCoS displays for stereoscopic vision (hopefully), thus eliminating all the stock electronics in the goggles except the pair of displays. I do not have a model number or data sheet for the displays yet, but I am certain they will have flat flex cables. To accomplish this, it looks like I may have to get a pair of Pi 3 units. The Pi Zero does not seem to have a flat flex connector for display output, while the larger versions do. So there will be two (camera)(dedicated Pi 3)(display)
systems running independently, and perhaps I could incorporate the Pi Zero with the Enviro pHAT from the initial working prototype and feed the overlay info into each of the dedicated Pi 3 units. What do you think about this?

And for phase three, is there anyway I could have a system like this condensed down into one custom PCB that does it all? The Raspberry Pi units can certainly help in developing something like this, but there are a few things about Raspberry Pi that I don't want in a finished product like night vision goggles. First, the boot-up sequence is a bit much for something I expect to just turn on and work. And I've seen that it's good practice to properly shut down the Pi units to avoid corrupting the operating system on the SD card. Ideally, I need one PCB that can fit inside the goggles, preferably right over the display/optics modules, that can handle a pair of NoIR v2 cams feeding 720p @ 60FPS into a pair of LCoS displays independently, with HUD info gathered from something like the Enviro pHAT, perhaps with other functionality like screen brightness and contrast, and can power up and power off immediately with no problems...tall order, right? Oh, and it has to be very energy efficient, lol.

davidcoton

Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:05 pm

Phase one, probably fairly straightforward.

Phase two, just because the displays have a ribbon cable, does not mean you can connect therm to the Pi's DSI connector. The Pi DSI interface is proprietary, it can only be connected to the RPi 7" touchscreen (and possibly one other screen which may have reverse engineered the protocol).

Phase three, well of course you can design what you want to display the camera output on a screen, with or without overlay from sensor data or whatever, but it's not a Pi. You can get custom versions of a Pi made, IIRC the minimum order is thousands and the engineering price won't be negligible. That will not overcome the problem you list with a Pi. All you might achieve is integrating the right interfaces for cameras and screens.
You might do better with a CM3, which can handle two cameras and possibly two screens (you still have to design and build the interfaces), but you won't get "instant on/off" or "power frugal".
Signature retired

Return to “Beginners”