yoey
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:35 pm

Speaker audio without losing access to the headphone jack

Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:34 pm

Hey guys, I want to add a speaker to my RPi 3, however, I still want access to the headphone jack, in case I want to use headphones. Is that possible? A single speaker would be enough to be honest.

Also are there any speakers that can be powered (not audio, only power) by the GPIO pins?

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 19483
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Speaker audio without losing access to the headphone jack

Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:18 pm

yoey wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:34 pm
Hey guys, I want to add a speaker to my RPi 3, however, I still want access to the headphone jack, in case I want to use headphones. Is that possible? A single speaker would be enough to be honest.

Also are there any speakers that can be powered (not audio, only power) by the GPIO pins?

Maybe a USB Sound Card would suffice ? something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dynamode-USB-S ... B0010JP9CY
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Stretch.

hippy
Posts: 5116
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: UK

Re: Speaker audio without losing access to the headphone jack

Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:38 pm

yoey wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:34 pm
Hey guys, I want to add a speaker to my RPi 3, however, I still want access to the headphone jack, in case I want to use headphones. Is that possible?
The easiest solution may be to use a Y-splitter which can take the single on-board jack to two jack sockets.

Or you could solder wires to the on-board jack or the two test points and take those off to speakers.

yoey
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:35 pm

Re: Speaker audio without losing access to the headphone jack

Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:44 pm

So I've found this: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-max ... p/overview. Is there something like this that also includes or gives me the option to add a headphone jack? Also my OS is Android Things, might be a necessary information...

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 19483
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Speaker audio without losing access to the headphone jack

Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:00 pm

yoey wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:44 pm
So I've found this: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-max ... p/overview. Is there something like this that also includes or gives me the option to add a headphone jack? Also my OS is Android Things, might be a necessary information...

Android Things state the Raspberry Pi is a development platform so you would have to seek the developers advice what is supported:

https://androidthings.withgoogle.com/#! ... tarter-kit


The RPT / RPF only support Raspbian Operating System...
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Stretch.

yoey
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:35 pm

Re: Speaker audio without losing access to the headphone jack

Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:26 pm

The RPT / RPF only support Raspbian Operating System...
What does RPT / RPF stand for?

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 19483
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Speaker audio without losing access to the headphone jack

Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:23 pm

yoey wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:26 pm
The RPT / RPF only support Raspbian Operating System...
What does RPT / RPF stand for?

Raspberry Pi Foundation
Raspberry Pi Trading
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Stretch.

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”