IPNovacic

IP Camera on ethernet and using internet with wifi

Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:07 am

Hello everyone,

I recenty bought IP camera and I connected it directly to the raspberry pi ethernet port, I have configured static ip on ethernet and I can access camera through web browser typing camera IP addres, but at the same time I want to use internet over wifi so the motioneye software can access camera over ethernet and be able to send email message when detects movement. The board I am using is rpi 2 B. As soon as I connect camera to the ethernet wifi connection to router no longer works. I have to be able to access camera through ethernet and to access internet over wifi.

Any help?
Thanks!

wh7qq

Re: IP Camera on ethernet and using internet with wifi

Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:28 pm

As soon as I connect camera to the ethernet wifi connection to router no longer works.
That sentence does not make sense to me. For starters, you should disclose the model RPi in use as well as the OS, and the make and model of IP camera. Then, specify how everything is connected and what you are trying to do.

Normally, the camera would be connected by wireless to the router and the RPi would also be connected as it was previously and would access the camera by entering its IP address in a browser window from any computer on the network. You will need to access the router's connection list to find the camera's IP address or to assign it a static address.

The security of your network is at serious risk if you have any access to the web enabled on the router (ftp, ssh, etc). In this case, you should access your network from a VPN.

Regardless, if you have not done so already, change the router's password from the default to something more complex and be sure that you use a WPA passphrase.

Return to “Networking and servers”