minos

Hosting control panel ? HTTP/FTPS/clients

Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:31 pm

Hey!

I've trying to find something useful to manage a RPi as a webserver for several people.
The goal is to have a control panel easy to manage few accounts, for people who want to work on their website. FTPS/SSH for file transfer, HTTP with Let's Encrypt if possible.

Everything can be host on a subdomain.
client1.domain.tld
client2.domain.tld

I see ISPConfig, but I think it's a really heavy product for this goal.

If you know another cool panel to manage this kind of little project ;)
Thx!!

Andyroo

Re: Hosting control panel ? HTTP/FTPS/clients

Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:14 pm

Main problem is the processor and storage for these tools these often need as the hook into the OS and limit themselves to Intel or a given OS. Yano runs on Python so you stand a chance getting it running (see below for link).

You could set security up on the sftp and web site folders by user and just trust your friends :lol:

If you stick to WordPress you could use the multiple site functions built in to that but that limits you to articles, pictures and videos through the standard posting and media managers without installing file handler add-ons

Have a look at the ones mentioned here https://blog.ssdnodes.com/blog/cpanel-alternatives-vps/

Hope you have liability insurance :roll:
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

minos

Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:28 am

Thx for your answer.
Some look like cool.

And about "liability insurance", a tick in a box "The gracious amateur hosting service I subscribe to can crash or be hacked without my administrator being held responsible for the damage, and make sure I make my own backups preventively" can be enough ? :roll:

Do you have any advice ?

Thx

Andyroo

Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:02 pm

Not wishing to discourage you but personally I would not touch this project with two barge poles stuck end to end :lol: :lol:

Saying that, if I WAS doing this for fun I would not go with a Pi but pick up a cheap 2nd hand desktop Pentium box, populate with lots of cheap RAM (16Gb+) with a couple of 2Tb disk in RAID running Centos or Debian server OS.
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

minos

Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:24 am

Haha ok mister ! I'll take care about performances issues ;)
For sure it can be 800% more power with a x86 hardware ! The Pi can be a good start to test those server managers... humm, or a virtualbox :p

Thx for this contribution :)

Return to “Networking and servers”