code_exec

Does anyone actually run Android on the Pi as a daily OS?

Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:19 am

Android is designed for use on phones and tablets, but does anyone actually use Android as their daily OS on the Pi? Can apps (such as Chrome and Minecraft) run nicely on the Pi using Android?
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS desktop images for the Raspberry Pi 3.

https://github.com/CodeExecution/Ubuntu-ARM64-RPi

Konsta

Re: Does anyone actually run Android on the Pi as a daily OS?

Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:58 pm

According to LineageOS statistics there's 15000+ active devices (who've opted for stats collection).

Raspberry Pi is a $35 device with hardware specs matching middle/low-end Android devices from three years ago. Raspberry Pi is not an Android device to begin with which also brings its own set of limitations (graphics drivers, etc). How would you expect it to perform? I'm sure 3D gaming and notoriously memory hungry web browser are not the only use cases for Android...

You're welcome to try it and see if it works for what you had in mind.
KonstaKANG.com

vinaypundith

Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:59 am

I tried LineageOS 15 and EmteriaOS (Android 7.1) on my Pi 3B+. LineageOS was quite slow, kept freezing, and seemed to not have the right drivers to work with my Pi (it clearly said on the download page that the LineageOS 15 build was a beta and not meant for daily use, but I had to use it because v14 didn't boot on my 3B+). Emteria (free version) was much faster and didn't crash, but still seemed to slow down/freeze now and then and wasn't able to run more than about 3 apps at once (like the RAM had filled up).
So it is definitely good for running many different Android apps, on a big screen and with keyboard&mouse inputs. It is just not so suitable for daily use yet.
BTW, KonstaKANG's website says that it is possible to install the TWRP recovery s/w into the LineageOS build, but I coudn't find / figure out how to. Does anybody here know how to?
I'm setting up a webpage and email server on a Pi 3B+ running Ubuntu Mate 18.10.
Please read the Unanswered topics section and help with whatever you can!

Konsta

Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:39 am

vinaypundith wrote:
BTW, KonstaKANG's website says that it is possible to install the TWRP recovery s/w into the LineageOS build, but I coudn't find / figure out how to. Does anybody here know how to?
TWRP is included in the latest LineageOS 14.1 & 15.1 images. See FAQ how to boot it.
KonstaKANG.com

vinaypundith

Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:46 pm

Konsta wrote:
vinaypundith wrote:
TWRP is included in the latest LineageOS 14.1 & 15.1 images. See FAQ how to boot it.
Thanks. I don't think that was there in September 2018 when I tried.
I'm setting up a webpage and email server on a Pi 3B+ running Ubuntu Mate 18.10.
Please read the Unanswered topics section and help with whatever you can!

Konsta

Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:47 pm

vinaypundith wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:46 pm
Konsta wrote:
vinaypundith wrote:
Thanks. I don't think that was there in September 2018 when I tried.
Been there since last July & August (LineageOS 15.1 & 14.1). https://konstakang.com/devices/rpi3/TWRP/
KonstaKANG.com

Return to “Android”