anthraxx

Recommendations for USB - SATA adaptor without power

Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:32 pm

Hey everyone!

I've messed around with RasPis a fair bit in the past, and right now I'm trying to work out the details of a NAS build. Essentially, an RPi NAS would be a stepping stone to when I can afford a proper 8x 4TB FreeNAS setup. The plan was to use a desktop case, and an ATX PSU with something like this to get started with a couple of 3.5" disks and an RPi server.

While I could use some more traditional SATA - USB hard drive docks, I'd quickly wind up needing to connect a bunch of different wall warts to separate outlets to keep everything running. This is super undesirable for many reasons, and my main goal is to keep everything nice and neat within a single case that has one power cable and one ethernet cable running from it. The issue is that I can only find products like this that would connect a hard drive to the Pi, which all seem to rely on mains or USB power when they support 3.5" drives. I'm looking for a way I could get SATA <> USB *only*, with power coming directly from an ATX PSU. Is there a way I could do this?

fruitoftheloom

Re: Recommendations for USB - SATA adaptor without power

Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:42 pm

anthraxx wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:32 pm
Hey everyone!

I've messed around with RasPis a fair bit in the past, and right now I'm trying to work out the details of a NAS build. Essentially, an RPi NAS would be a stepping stone to when I can afford a proper 8x 4TB FreeNAS setup. The plan was to use a desktop case, and an ATX PSU with something like this to get started with a couple of 3.5" disks and an RPi server.

While I could use some more traditional SATA - USB hard drive docks, I'd quickly wind up needing to connect a bunch of different wall warts to separate outlets to keep everything running. This is super undesirable for many reasons, and my main goal is to keep everything nice and neat within a single case that has one power cable and one ethernet cable running from it. The issue is that I can only find products like this that would connect a hard drive to the Pi, which all seem to rely on mains or USB power when they support 3.5" drives. I'm looking for a way I could get SATA <> USB *only*, with power coming directly from an ATX PSU. Is there a way I could do this?

Someone had a similar situation, here:

https://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=117276
Retired disgracefully.....

anthraxx

Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:26 am

Oh nice! That didn't turn up in my Googling, but it definitely looks very close to what I'm trying to accomplish. It's a little tough working out exactly what solution the OP went with, but starting from the bottom up:
I already have the power supply, case, hub and drives. All I need are four $10 USB3<>SATA adapters and four little $1 6" SATA extenders. If I had gone with other solutions, it could have cost $100, but it's looking more like $50 at this point. And, it'll easily be maintainable in the future.
So it sounds like they're using something like:

This sort of USB-SATA cable ($21.82)
This kind of SATA extension ($2.96)

Which sounds pretty achievable if I'm understanding it:

This does leave a couple of questions though: Will these 2.5" adapters work with a 3.5" drive so long as they're getting power from a separate connection? This other build doesn't seem to take into account the possibility of that ATX breakout board. If I'm using this, I guess it removes the need to wire a switch into the PSU to short the motherboard signal and turn it on/off? All of the PSU connectors would power up, not just the terminals on the breakout board right?

This feels almost too easy :lol: It seems like I should be able to get set up with a PSU and case (which I'll spend more on than I'd need to for this project, but I intend to re-use both when upgrading to FreeNAS), and a Pi for $160 all together. Then it'll be $25 + drive cost for each drive I want to add. This is pretty good in CAD! I don't think I'd wind up having more than 2x 4TB drives before looking at the FreeNAS upgrade, but my next step is working out where my bottlenecks will be in 1x-4x drive setups.

fruitoftheloom

Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:37 am

anthraxx wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:26 am
Oh nice! That didn't turn up in my Googling, but it definitely looks very close to what I'm trying to accomplish. It's a little tough working out exactly what solution the OP went with, but starting from the bottom up:
I already have the power supply, case, hub and drives. All I need are four $10 USB3<>SATA adapters and four little $1 6" SATA extenders. If I had gone with other solutions, it could have cost $100, but it's looking more like $50 at this point. And, it'll easily be maintainable in the future.
So it sounds like they're using something like:

This sort of USB-SATA cable ($21.82)
This kind of SATA extension ($2.96)

Which sounds pretty achievable if I'm understanding it:

This does leave a couple of questions though: Will these 2.5" adapters work with a 3.5" drive so long as they're getting power from a separate connection? This other build doesn't seem to take into account the possibility of that ATX breakout board. If I'm using this, I guess it removes the need to wire a switch into the PSU to short the motherboard signal and turn it on/off? All of the PSU connectors would power up, not just the terminals on the breakout board right?

This feels almost too easy :lol: It seems like I should be able to get set up with a PSU and case (which I'll spend more on than I'd need to for this project, but I intend to re-use both when upgrading to FreeNAS), and a Pi for $160 all together. Then it'll be $25 + drive cost for each drive I want to add. This is pretty good in CAD! I don't think I'd wind up having more than 2x 4TB drives before looking at the FreeNAS upgrade, but my next step is working out where my bottlenecks will be in 1x-4x drive setups.

Must admit never tried but anything is ""feasible"". Though do not see the requirement for the breakout board.

https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to ... hout-a-PC/

https://www.amazon.ca/Electop-Driver-Ad ... B01GYWI7IE

https://www.amazon.ca/Monoprice-6-Inch- ... B005E2XRYK
Retired disgracefully.....

LTolledo

Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:11 am

I'd probably buy a self powered 3.5" HDD case and make some modifications.

1. extract the HDD controller board from the HDD case
2. short the power button switch in the HDD controller board
3. extract 12V power from the ATX breakout and connect it to a barrel plug. Take note of the polarity!
4. plug the newly made barrel plug to the controller board's barrel connector.
5. plug the supplied USB cable to the controller board and to RPi's USB port.
6. plug in the 3.5" HDD to the HDD controller's HDD port

save the HDD case's 12V power adapter for future projects/use.

Do note that there is a maximum limit to the total number of USB HDDs/SSDs/thumbdrives you can connect to the RPi. Its a hardware limitation, not software, as I was told...
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

Return to “Networking and servers”