ekelundPi

Performance issues using ´Scratch 2.0

Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:57 am

Hi,
I am a total beginner to Rasberry Pi and Scratch 2.0. Bought a Rasberry Pi 3 to my daughter in Christmas gift and a pre-installed card with Noobs. Installation worked fine, and I also updated to the latest software.
However, now when running Scratch 2.0 on the Pi it has obvious performance issues. I am running really beginners projects following a text book Scratch for Kids, but we cannot follow the examples as they start lagging immediately.
Are there any settings that I can change on the Pi to optimize performance with Scratch 2.0?
Are there any known obvious bugs working with Scratch 2.0 that I can correct?
I was considering if screen resolution could be the problem, (use HDMI to a small tv) but have not managed to change to settings that improve. I use default setting.
Can it be some other application running in the background that takes all the performance. I have tried to open up task manager, and a couple of applications are running, but í believe those are related to wifi and others. I have not started up any other program on the Pi.
Or is simply the Pi to weak for running Scratch 2.0?

Any inputs are most helpful. The intension was to learn the daughter the some first simple steps in coding, and basically only to run scratch on the unit.
Thanks!

ghp

Re: Performance issues using ´Scratch 2.0

Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:23 pm

Hello, most books written for scratch have a laptop or desktop environment in mind. Performance is no issue there. For the raspberry environment, performance is a bottleneck.
One of the most common patterns found are loops which check for some condition. Adding small delays (in most cases acceptable) improve situation.
For scratch 1.4, I have written a blog post about performance. See http://heppg.de/ikg/wordpress/?p=125

If possible, post your script here.

fruitoftheloom

Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:25 pm

ekelundPi wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:57 am
Hi,
I am a total beginner to Rasberry Pi and Scratch 2.0. Bought a Rasberry Pi 3 to my daughter in Christmas gift and a pre-installed card with Noobs. Installation worked fine, and I also updated to the latest software.
However, now when running Scratch 2.0 on the Pi it has obvious performance issues. I am running really beginners projects following a text book Scratch for Kids, but we cannot follow the examples as they start lagging immediately.
Are there any settings that I can change on the Pi to optimize performance with Scratch 2.0?
Are there any known obvious bugs working with Scratch 2.0 that I can correct?
I was considering if screen resolution could be the problem, (use HDMI to a small tv) but have not managed to change to settings that improve. I use default setting.
Can it be some other application running in the background that takes all the performance. I have tried to open up task manager, and a couple of applications are running, but í believe those are related to wifi and others. I have not started up any other program on the Pi.
Or is simply the Pi to weak for running Scratch 2.0?

Any inputs are most helpful. The intension was to learn the daughter the some first simple steps in coding, and basically only to run scratch on the unit.
Thanks!

The RPF provide resources, see:

https://projects.raspberrypi.org/en/pro ... th-scratch

https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/scrat ... -tutorial/
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit

timrowledge

Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:04 am

Try nuScratch - by choosing “Scratch 1.4” from the menu - instead. It may be older but since it was written in a sensible language we were able to rather drastically improve the performance.
You won’t have a few of the blocks the Scratch 2 provides, and the screen layout is slightly different but pretty much any tutorial will be usable. Besides, there are a load of example projects included. The biggest issue is that downloading projects from mit won’t work because they carefully removed that support from us.
Making Smalltalk on ARM since 1986; making your Scratch better since 2012

ekelundPi

Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:03 pm

Thanks a lot fohose reply's
Moving to scatch 1.4

mim42

Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:30 am

I'm having the exact same issue with a 3B+ and pre-installed card. Scratch 1.4 works well but Scratch 2 is laggy, both in the web version and installed version. Could it be flash related? Scratch 2 is the only flash application that seems to be having trouble so far, though. It would be nice to get the latest version working. The new Scratch 3 beta has the same performance issues as well.

Return to “Scratch”