Schlendrian

Raspbian 2018-11-13 - Video Playback Broken

Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:30 pm

Hello,

video playback in Chromium is broken in the newest Raspbian version.

- Watching YouTube in "Auto" mode causes videos to flicker.

- Watching YouTube in 144p or 240p causes videos in 16:9 format to shrink to a 4:3 format (the video player's size doesn't change, but the video itself starts shrinking until it reaches a 4:3 format after about 2 minutes - it gets smaller and smaller).

- Watching YouTube in fullscreen mode causes videos to stutter until they start lagging and pausing (this didn't happen on earlier Raspbian versions).

- Setting YouTube videos to a fixed resolution, switching to fullscreen and closing fullscreen also starts shrinking videos to a 4:3 format. Changing resolutions (e.g. 480p to 360p and back to 480p) fixes the problem until going back to fullscreen again.

- Watching HTML5 videos on other platforms causes videos to flicker and also stutter and pausing in fullscreen.

- Watching HTML5 videos on other platforms won't shrink the videos to a 4:3 format, but they get stretched and squeezed all the time.

Last but not least:

- VLC player doesn't support any overlay while playing in fullscreen. It shows up for a millisecond, but then disappears.

All this was tested with an upgraded version (i.e. from the Raspbian version before to the new one) and a fresh install (with and without updates installed).

Pi: 3B and 3B+

Raspbian: 2018-11-13

Kernel: 4.14.79-v7+

Chromium: Version 65.0.3325.181 (Official Build) Built on Raspbian , running on Raspbian 9.6 (32-bit)

Resolution: 1920x1080 and 1280x720

Allocated Video Memory: 64MB, 80MB, 128MB and 192MB tested with no effect.

Schlendrian

Re: Raspbian 2018-11-13 - Video Playback Broken

Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:32 am

Is there any possible fix?

I'd only need to know what has been changed since the last version to revert all changes made since then, so it can work properly.

Thanks in advance.

DougieLawson

Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:59 am

Try omxplayer as it's got hardware acceleration enabled.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a hippy & doctor free zone.

Schlendrian

Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:19 am

That's not an option.

spl23
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:04 pm

Schlendrian wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:32 am
Is there any possible fix?

I'd only need to know what has been changed since the last version to revert all changes made since then, so it can work properly.

Thanks in advance.
The version of Chromium in the current image is unchanged from that in the June 2018 image. I'm not aware of any userland changes since the June release that would affect video playback in the current version, unless it is an issue with the h264ify plugin we add to Chromium that forces YouTube to use codecs which we accelerate in hardware - it might be worth uninstalling and reinstalling that, and making sure you are actually getting H.264 streams from YouTube. It's possible something in firmware or the kernel is causing the problem - we're now all on holiday for Christmas, but we can investigate in the New Year.

VLC overlays are a known issue which is being worked on.

Schlendrian

Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:40 pm

Thanks for answering. That sounds very promising :)

I wish all of you a merry Christmas and a happy new year.

Schlendrian

Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:05 pm

VLC Player's OSD now works since the latest update, but sadly video playback is now completely broken (it lags and stutters at "Automatic" Output, and runs at half its frame-rate at "X11 video output".

Who updates software without testing, if it's working properly? Is this some sort of a joke?

Also, since I constantly switched to a 720p screen resolution to get a better performance, every HTML5 video and Chromium itself has terrible screen tearing issues (how to enable Vsync / Compositing in Raspbian?).

Raspbian gets worse with every update. This isn't the first time, everything gets messed up.

neilgl

Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:00 pm

As a test I installed the latest raspian stretch GUI on a Pi 3 Model B v1.2, updated and set GPU memory to 128MB.
Running Chromium to look at youtube videos:
Black Sabbath Snowblind - perfectly fine
Zakk Wylde and others Bohemian Rhapsody - perfectly fine

So not sure what is different about your setup?

Schlendrian

Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:13 pm

neilgl wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:00 pm
As a test I installed the latest raspian stretch GUI on a Pi 3 Model B v1.2, updated and set GPU memory to 128MB.
Running Chromium to look at youtube videos:
Black Sabbath Snowblind - perfectly fine
Zakk Wylde and others Bohemian Rhapsody - perfectly fine

So not sure what is different about your setup?

Nice trolling.

What's different, is, that I'm not looking at still images while listening to "music" (wouldn't call this Satanic garbage "music"). I'm talking about videos (i.e. moving pictures).

Try watching something else. You'll notice the difference.

bensimmo

Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:42 pm

You'll find they are Music VIDEOs ;-)

He/She tested and cannot see a problem, perhaps link to examples you have problems with.
Others incl.the Engineers can then test with known bad videos.

If you say all are like that and people are not seeing it, then ....

A note VLC has just been updated to 3.0.6 rpt1, no idea on chromium

Schlendrian

Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:22 pm

bensimmo wrote:

He/She tested and cannot see a problem, perhaps link to examples you have problems with.

1. He didn't provide any link, so how come YOU know, that he's watching moving pictures? YouTube's music "videos" are known for still images, not videos.

2. I'm not having problems with one special video. It's every single video.

3. How would you know, I was the only one having these issues? It has nothing to do with my Raspberry Pis. It's a Raspbian issue, and it's nothing new. If I have these problems, everyone else also does. There is no difference in the hardware, we're all using.

4. Thanks for informing me about that. I'm installing the update and will test, if it's working properly now. I still don't understand, why updates are released without being tested beforehand. Developers are becoming more and more lazy.

Update: Installed the updates, rebooted my Pi, started VLC, et voila: OSD is not working anymore. All they did is removing the newest code and give it a higher version number. LOL!

I'm giving up on this. Raspbian is getting worse with every version. Even including Claws Mail was such a huge mistake. This piece of software is utter garbage. Evolution Mail does everything way better and doesn't suffer from all these annoying bugs.

It's really sad to see what Raspbian has become. Especially when you're one of these 2 people on this planet, who use a Raspberry Pi as their only Computer, because they're boycotting all the industry.

gkreidl

Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:49 pm

Schlendrian wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:22 pm
bensimmo wrote:

1. He didn't provide any link, so how come YOU know, that he's watching moving pictures? YouTube's music "videos" are known for still images, not videos.

2. I'm not having problems with one special video. It's every single video.

3. How would you know, I was the only one having these issues? It has nothing to do with my Raspberry Pis. It's a Raspbian issue, and it's nothing new. If I have these problems, everyone else also does. There is no difference in the hardware, we're all using.

4. Thanks for informing me about that. I'm installing the update and will test, if it's working properly now. I still don't understand, why updates are released without being tested beforehand. Developers are becoming more and more lazy.

Update: Installed the updates, rebooted my Pi, started VLC, et voila: OSD is not working anymore. All they did is removing the newest code and give it a higher version number. LOL!

I'm giving up on this. Raspbian is getting worse with every version. Even including Claws Mail was such a huge mistake. This piece of software is utter garbage. Evolution Mail does everything way better and doesn't suffer from all these annoying bugs.

It's really sad to see what Raspbian has become. Especially when you're one of these 2 people on this planet, who use a Raspberry Pi as their only Computer, because they're boycotting all the industry.
You should learn to inform yourself instead of complaining like a whining child.
1) Regarding Youtube: check if h264fy is enabled. The effect you describe is typical when it is disabled.
2) The reason for the VLC probem has been explained: The standard Debian (Raspbian) version now overrides the special Foundation version, no reason to complain about "developers". The issue is being worked on and should be fixed soon.
3) There's no reason to complain about Claws Email. It does what it was intended to do. Before you call other stuff "utter garbage" you should prove that you can do anything better.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

Schlendrian

Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:44 am

gkreidl wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:49 pm
You should learn to inform yourself instead of complaining like a whining child.
1) Regarding Youtube: check if h264fy is enabled. The effect you describe is typical when it is disabled.
2) The reason for the VLC probem has been explained: The standard Debian (Raspbian) version now overrides the special Foundation version, no reason to complain about "developers". The issue is being worked on and should be fixed soon.
3) There's no reason to complain about Claws Email. It does what it was intended to do. Before you call other stuff "utter garbage" you should prove that you can do anything better.
1. h264ify is enabled by default. I recently reinstalled it, because someone else here was giving me the advice. It didn't change anything. Videos are not running in VP9 mode; they're correctly running in MP4 mode.

2. Well, if there's a "special Foundation version", let me ask: Who developed this "special version"? Did it develop itself, or was it developed by developers?

3. I don't need to do better. Evolution Mail already does way better. Claws Mail can't display e-mails in their original form (e.g. HTML, etc.) and only shows a weird mess of errors; won't find the provider's servers (especially Hotmail and GMX - the latter is a German provider); often fails to connect; won't connect automatically to servers, etc. pp..

4. Naming me a "whining child" is infantile behavior itself. There's a difference between whining and being very disappointed, because my only computer (i.e. my Raspberry Pi) doesn't operate as it should. I have no other computer to switch to. I rely on this mini computer for all my works and tasks. Maybe you'll understand, that it's very important for some people, to have a fully functional operating system, instead of this broken mess, which Raspbian has become since 2018.

neilgl

Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:39 am

Ah yes they were videos I was watching, one old and one new - all fine.

bensimmo

Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:47 am

The Raspberry Pi Team are developing the bits needed for VLC. Search the forum and they give the restriction they have due to the Desktop Environment also the initial announcement blog when it was added to Raspbian Desktop.

I'll help you with the VLC recent problems and where to get the source code so you can fix/help fix it viewtopic.php?f=66&t=227185

jamesh

Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:01 am

Some of the posts above have resulted in a temporary ban for someone. Please keep it civil, the tone of the language in the posts above is completely unnecessary.

If you have something constructive to say, help yourself, but once you start shouting about trolling, or slagging off developers, you have crossed the line.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

gkreidl

Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:12 am

Schlendrian wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:44 am

1. h264ify is enabled by default. I recently reinstalled it, because someone else here was giving me the advice. It didn't change anything. Videos are not running in VP9 mode; they're correctly running in MP4 mode.

2. Well, if there's a "special Foundation version", let me ask: Who developed this "special version"? Did it develop itself, or was it developed by developers?

3. I don't need to do better. Evolution Mail already does way better. Claws Mail can't display e-mails in their original form (e.g. HTML, etc.) and only shows a weird mess of errors; won't find the provider's servers (especially Hotmail and GMX - the latter is a German provider); often fails to connect; won't connect automatically to servers, etc. pp..

4. Naming me a "whining child" is infantile behavior itself. There's a difference between whining and being very disappointed, because my only computer (i.e. my Raspberry Pi) doesn't operate as it should. I have no other computer to switch to. I rely on this mini computer for all my works and tasks. Maybe you'll understand, that it's very important for some people, to have a fully functional operating system, instead of this broken mess, which Raspbian has become since 2018.
ad 1) Don't rely on it being enabled by default. Before I answered you, I started chromium on one of my RPis and tested youtube. I got the same problem as you described. Then I checked h264fy and saw that it was disabled (not by me!). I enabled it and the problems were gone.
BTW, there are better ways to watch youtube on the RPi. I'm doing that since I got my first RPi (one core, 700 MHz, 512 RAM).

ad 2) The Foundation developer who is responsible for the special VLC version (enabling and fixing MMAL, adding the X11 MMM splitter), did not do anything. The version in the Foundation repository was overridden by a new version 3.0.6 in the Raspbian repository (because of the higher version number, quite unusual for a Debian release). The standard Debian (Raspbian) version does not contain any RPi specific modules. Yesterday the Foundation published a new 3.0.6 RPI version which fixed the problem.

ad 3) The original email format is plain text, not HTML. A HTML version may be added as an attachment. Claws Email does not contain a browser engine and does not support HTML. It was a deliberate decision. And that's one of the reasons why I like it and use it. You cannot complain that it doesn't do what it was not intended to do. And for me it's running very stable.

ad 4) You should listen to yourself (the way you write). I still own a Desktop PC (a power hungry beast) but I use it only a few hours per week. Almost all my computer activities (quite a lot and this includes a number of servers) have been distributed to a network of four Raspberry Pis. I know that this is possible, but you have to learn how to use the limited resources (especially RAM). Some things have to be done differently on a RPi than on a normal Desktop PC. If the RPi is your only computer you have to learn that.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

Return to “Troubleshooting”