xl97

Broken Pi? (SMD part came off)

Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:22 pm

Hey guys..
A few months back.. 'Arrow' was having a sale on RPi's if you signed up for an account..etc ($25 each or something)..

I ordered a couple.

They arrived, and the boxes were 'smashed'... I opened one up, and it physically seemed fine.

I have been playing with it ever since.

I recently opened a second box.. and noticed a tiny SMD parts flying around in the box..

After some time (close to an hour).. I found the spot on the RPi where it belongs (I wasnt even sure if it came from the RPi at first to be honest)..

So now my question is:

* What is it?

* What is it used for?

* And can I get away with NOT having it? :)

Otherwise I'll need to contact Arrow and try to get an exchange, and I'm sure that wont be easy as this was a little over 3 months ago I believe?

PICS:

I'm not even sure what kind of parts that is? Doesnt look like a resistor or cap to me?

Thanks for any feedback.

davidcoton

Re: Broken Pi? (SMD part came off)

Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:52 pm

Not sure exactly what the component is, but it's on the output of the WiFi/Bluetooth radio chip to the aerial. So WiFi and Bluetooth won't work.

Of course it would have been better to claim immediately, citing the damaged packaging. In the circumstances all you can do is explain all the facts to Arrow and see how they react. Publicity about it (whether good or bad) can be a powerful ally for you.
"Thanks for saving my life." See https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1327656#p1327656
“Raspberry Pi is a trademark of the Raspberry Pi Foundation”

xl97

Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:02 pm

Good to know. Thanks.

Well I just found out about it.. as I ordered several during their sale. Opened it up.. (bam!)..

Good thing it was at my desk.

I sent them an email already, with my order details.

So I guess we'll see what they say.

xl97

Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:06 pm

^bump!.. haha..

Does the pad on the PART looks to have been ripped off?

What part is it specifically? (anyone know?)

Can I boot up this RPi? without fear of any issues? (I understand wifi/bt might not work now)..

What about repair?

Just asking in case Arrow doesnt stand behind their product. (bot boxes came crushed on one end). :(

I should have opened BOTH instead of just one and using it right away.

rpdom

Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:16 pm

Yes, you can boot up the Pi without issues, just, as you have guessed, the WiFi won't work (or will have a very short range).
See this thread for details of what the part is and does: viewtopic.php?t=200759

xl97

Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:42 pm

Thanks...

so things will 'work' as far booting and running Raspbian..etc.. (just as mentioned. no wifi.... that thread did NOT mention bluetooth though? but perhaps uses the same antenna?)

Stinks can get a part number.. so I can attempt to reflow it back on! :(

Still hoping ARROW stands behind it.. and sends me an exchange.

Return to “Troubleshooting”