vollmeise

Raspberry Pi 3 A+ won't boot with Adafruit Motor Hat on

Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:39 pm

Hi,

I have a problem with my new Raspberry Pi 3 A+ in combination with the Adafruit Motor Hat.
I wanted to upgrade an old Pi A+ in a robotics project with the new one. But the Pi 3 A+ won't boot - red light permanently on, no green light flashing.
Here are the combinations I've tested so far (with the official power supply):

[*]Raspberry Pi A+ with newest Raspbian lite (2018-11-13), booting and working perfectly

[*]Raspberry Pi A+ with newest Raspbian lite (2018-11-13) and Adafruit Motor Hat, booting and working perfectly

[*]Raspberry Pi 3 A+ with newest Raspbian lite (2018-11-13), booting and working perfectly

[*]Raspberry Pi 3 A+ with newest Raspbian lite (2018-11-13) and Adafruit Motor Hat does not boot. Red LED is permanently on, no green LED flashing. A connected HDMI display stays black.

My only guess is, the Pi 3 A+ doesn't like eeproms on hats.
Has anyone a similar problem? Any hints or tips?

bye
Stefan
Last edited by vollmeise on Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andyroo

Re: Raspberry Pi 3 A+ won't boot with Adafruit Motor Hat on

Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:47 pm

I think you have a typing error (missing a '3' ) in the last config :lol:

If its this hat https://pinout.xyz/pinout/dc_stepper_motor_hat then its not a 'real' HAT and only talks over I2C so it may be a power issue.

Dare I ask what supply you have?
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

vollmeise

Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:59 pm

I think you have a typing error (missing a '3' ) in the last config
You're right, I corrected it.

It is a "real" hat, please follow the link in my original post. I also mentioned the official raspberry power supply.

vollmeise

Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:01 pm

I have just found this thread about boot problems with Pi 3 B+
viewtopic.php?t=220527

It's very frustrating, but it looks like the Pi 3 A+ has the same problem with the 3.3V power supply.
:roll:

Andyroo

Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:27 pm

If you could provide a separate power supply for the HAT and one for the Pi (with common ground) and just jumper the I2C connectors from the Pi you may have some luck going by:
Only two pins (SDA & SCL) are required to drive the multiple motors, and since it's I2C you can also connect any other I2C devices or HATs to the same pins.
Given it also can draw 3A (by https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-dc- ... downloads ) you ain't going to get that out the official Pi supply in any case :lol:
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

hippy

Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:44 pm

vollmeise wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:01 pm
It's very frustrating, but it looks like the Pi 3 A+ has the same problem with the 3.3V power supply.
:roll:
I mentioned it in another thread yesterday and got the following reply ...
jamesh wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:36 pm
hippy wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:01 pm
In some cases it is reported that attaching HAT's or external circuits which use the 3B+'s 3V3 rail prevents booting.

I don't know if that's also being investigated or if there is any explanation for that behaviour.

It appears those issues may also affect the 3A+ as well as a 3B+ which wouldn't be surprising if they use the same power management scheme.
We are still (with the held of the PMIC supplier) looking in to these issues.

Return to “Troubleshooting”