Dazzathedrummer

Fuse with VNC

Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:53 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to find a spectrum emulator that will work with VNC. I've installed Fuse but the remote VNC keyboard doesn't seem to work with the application when using VNC through an iPhone - it works fine if I use VNC through my MacBook....just not with the iPhone app.

Any ideas?

Andyroo

Re: Fuse with VNC

Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:01 pm

Are you using a keyboard on the iPhone or the built in 'soft' keyboard?

RealVNC had a problem with attached keyboards and iOS 12 thats now been fixed on the latest version.

You could also try Mocha VNC Lite - though it times out after 5 minutes it may let you id if its the Pi end or the VNC viewer end thats got the problem...
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

Dazzathedrummer

Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:13 pm

I’m using the iPhone key board.
It works fine with everything else on the Pi, just not with Fuse.

The on-screen keyboard doesn’t function at all - not through VNC or directly with a mouse - I thought it might’ve been just an image as a key.

Andyroo

Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:58 pm

Strange as the site says its X11 - I wonder if they have hooked directly in to the keyboard software to speed it up for some reason and if so how - there are old bugs with Windows keyboards from 2012 but they are fixed...

I'll ask the obvious - you are not in view only mode are you? (Not that I have ever done that on a support call :oops:)

If you get no answer here you may get help on reporting this as a bug https://sourceforge.net/p/fuse-emulator/bugs/

Dazzathedrummer

Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:06 pm

I double checked ‘view only’ - it’s not that.

I can open a terminal window and type into it but the typing doesn’t have any effect on Fuse.
If repeatedly hit ‘j’ occasionally I’ll get a ‘LOAD’ but I can’t get the double-quotes at all.

Andyroo

Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:46 pm

Wonder if its anything to do with auto-correct or predictive text on the iPhone?

Is it worth trying a third party keyboard on the 'phone to see if that helps?

Dazzathedrummer

Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:03 pm

I don't think so, it's not predicting anything, I'm just hitting 'J'....Here's a OneDrive link to a screen recording I did on my phone...

https://1drv.ms/v/s!An-b3hMz0b0vpiBYp08THO_gjbQH

Andyroo

Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:32 pm

The iPhone be default uses autocorrect and predictive text unless you can turn it off in settings...

That may well mess VNC up.

Dazzathedrummer

Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:12 am

It’s not related to predictive text/autocorrect - the video confirms that.

I’ve raised a ticket on sourceforge - Sergio thinks it will be to do with Fuse not recognising the IOS keyboard gestures.

I guess it all depends on whether that’s an issue worth fixing.

Return to “Troubleshooting”