axrst

Teaching Python with Minecraft in a classroom with Pi's and PC's

Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:27 pm

Hi.

I want to make a class for python based on minecraft. I have 3 Pi's 3B+ (and some B+, but I think they are not good enough for this project) and about 6 Dell Pc's with windows (dual boot 7's and 10's). I'm a little bit confused about what to install on server and clients.

At first, is it possible to have a Pi or a Pc as a server and the other Pis or PCs to connect to this minecraft server? I think that way, the students will be able to share the same world.

If the above is possible, what I need to setup in server and clients? Should be a Pi the server or a Windows PC? I know for that lesson that 5 things are needed to be installed: A minecraft game (allready in Pis, I have to purchase it in PCs), Java, minecraft python API, and a server(?)

Otherwise, I could use every Pi or PC as a single mode server for itself.

Can anyone guide me to where I should look for this?

code_exec

Re: Teaching Python with Minecraft in a classroom with Pi's and PC's

Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:18 pm

You cannot install Minecraft Pi on x86 PCs since it is compiled for ARM. You may be able to run it in QEMU by emulating a Raspberry Pi 2 (QEMU has a raspi2 machine) but that would be complex to setup and would be slow. If you want to use Python with Minecraft PC Edition on x86 PCs, then look at this Bukkit plugin:

https://dev.bukkit.org/projects/raspberryjuice
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS desktop images for the Raspberry Pi 3.

https://github.com/CodeExecution/Ubuntu-ARM64-RPi

axrst

Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:51 pm

Thank you for your reply.

I don't want to install Minecraft Pi on x86 PC's. I want to have both minecraft Pi and full version minecraft in my classroom and to program with python minecraft API (and not the Minecraft Pi API) and if it possible to all users to connect to the same minecraft server. Here https://nostarch.com/download/LearnToPr ... ft_ch1.pdf is a sample of the book "Learn to Program with Minecraft", and has directions how to setup this in PC, or a Mac, or a Pi. But there are 2 problems. The guide there is for a single player server and the version of server that the setup files including, is outdated.

code_exec

Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:09 am

axrst wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:51 pm
Thank you for your reply.

I don't want to install Minecraft Pi on x86 PC's. I want to have both minecraft Pi and full version minecraft in my classroom and to program with python minecraft API (and not the Minecraft Pi API) and if it possible to all users to connect to the same minecraft server. Here https://nostarch.com/download/LearnToPr ... ft_ch1.pdf is a sample of the book "Learn to Program with Minecraft", and has directions how to setup this in PC, or a Mac, or a Pi. But there are 2 problems. The guide there is for a single player server and the version of server that the setup files including, is outdated.
It'll be impossible for Minecraft Pi and PC players to play with each other. Minecraft PC is written in Java, whereas Minecraft Pi is written in C++. Also, Minecraft Pi is essentially a stripped down version of Minecraft PE 0.6.1, which has far less features than the PC version.
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS desktop images for the Raspberry Pi 3.

https://github.com/CodeExecution/Ubuntu-ARM64-RPi

jdonald

Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:00 am

One option is to run the full-fledged Java Edition on each Pi 3B+, then you'd have no trouble sharing the world among Pi and PC users. The drawbacks:
* Requires version 1.12 or older
* Pi students would need to keep their game windows small to ensure systems remain responsive for Python coding
* Not viable with any of your old Pi B+ boards

Another idea would be to have a shared PC Minecraft world, with the PC users largely walking around in that world. The students who are each on a Pi could focus on controlling the world itself (make rainbows, natural disasters) from the Python console. After doing minecraft.Minecraft.create('<IP address of server>', 4711) they have access to all the RaspberryJuice APIs, even if those Pi users can't immediately walk around in the worlds.

Lastly: If I were in your situation, my fallback would be to have all the Pi users (including original Pi B+) share one Minecraft Pi world, and all six PC users share a different Minecraft Java Edition world. This doesn't get everybody in one game but at least you're all using the same Python APIs, and less chance of things going wrong if you aren't pushing any one piece of hardware to its limits.
Last edited by jdonald on Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

axrst

Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:41 am

Thank you for your answers.

This makes more clear the situation for me. I think that i'll seperate the classes.

Return to “Teaching and learning resources”