nich0010

Pi as a Wi-Fi RTT (802.11mc) access point

Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:35 pm

I'm interested in experimenting with WiFi Round trip time so my app can provide accurate internal location.
Does the Pi have the relevant hardware/firmware to act as an RTT access point?

EDIT
Looks like the Pi needs to support 802.11mc Fine Time Measurement (FTM) to function as an access point - is this an adapter or host function?
The reason for asking is that when iOS supports WiFi RTT client functionality (Android P has it already) everyone who's doing indoor location for phones will need several low-cost access points that implement the 802.11mc standard. Great opportunity for the Pi!
Can anyone provide any info as to the Pi's capability as a Wi-Fi RTT (802.11mc) access point?
/EDIT

Thanks
John

Mazdak

Re: Pi as a Wi-Fi RTT (802.11mc) access point

Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:55 am

Sorry to necro this thread but I totally agree with you in regards to what a great opportunity it would be for the RPi to have this available.
There's a couple of different manufacturers that have SoCs with 802.11mc capability. I've tried a few of them and I'm impressed of the indoor precision so far.

If the PI could enable this or have indoor position as an option, the world of contextual IoT could belong to RPi, imagine controlling devices without specifying any rooms or give extra information because the system doesn't know where you are, the possibilities are endless.

So if someone has enabled or tried to enable WiFi RTT (802.11mc), please share!

Thanks!

mgfernan

Re: Pi as a Wi-Fi RTT (802.11mc) access point

Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:23 pm

Hi all,

I would like to start playing with the RTT features, but not sure if RPi 4B supports it. Have you had any success so far?

Many thanks

Miquel

Return to “Networking and servers”